Possibly Howard Hughes

Weswulf

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Weston
Hello I'm trying to figure out if this photo is of Howard Hughes. The photo was taken in the 1940s in front of my great grandpa's Cafe/ Service station which was located in the little town of Escalante, Utah. Escalante is fairly close to Las Vegas which is why I think it might be him. The pilot is on the far right in the white shirt and hat. I know this is nearly impossible to confirm who it is but I was hoping some one might be able to identify the type of plane.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20180814_170348.jpg
    IMG_20180814_170348.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 110
It's a Piper J-3 Cub. Can't tell if that's HRH in the white T-shirt, but I suppose you couldn't rule it out, either. Escalante is 300 highway miles from Las Vegas, so I don't think the Vegas connection is evidence one way or the other.

J-3s go back to 1937. Hughes in a scene like this would be less likely after WW2, though he was full of surprises.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! My Grandma is the little girl in the picture and says he landed on Main street, it's too bad they never got his name.

Man i really doubt it. Not trying to rain on your parade but i think HH would have been in more plane at that time. Also in a suit.

Haha I know I doubt it was him as well, it is a pretty neat photo anyways.

Back