Possible Hail Damage???

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
My Skyhawk's been ready from its panel upgrades(down in New Hampshire) since late May. On June 10 IFR conditions prevented us from getting her back to Maine. Numerous times since then we've been ready to go get her, only to be thwarted by the East coast's rain 3 out of every 5 days. #*+^#$@%^ !!

June 11 my former employee, who works for the company who bought my store, called me and said that the avionics shop called and that I "should give them a call. Something's going on down there". I told him they probably want me to get my plane out of there. So I called, but the line was busy; and I was on my way out the door to give a friend a ride home from a Seniors rehabilitation center to her home. That took several hours, after which I was watching the 6:00 news. It seems that some car dealership in NH had 400 cars damaged by tennis ball sized hail "during a violent afternoon storm".

As soon as I arrived home I called the Av shop. No answer. Bangor FSS couldn't tell me what WX had transpired at the afternoon hour, but "why don't you call Concord Aviation?", which I did.

"Yes; we had a booming thunder storm in mid-afternoon; no, we didn't get the hail they had in Exeter. I suspect the reason the avionics shop(next door) called you was to get your permission to move your plane. That's possible reason #1. Another possible reason is that there's a NASCAR race next weekend at New Hampshire International Speedway, and we're expecting between 45 and 50 jets to arrive during the week and can use every space we can find". They - the adjacent FBO - said they'd move the plane into their monthly tie-down area. Phewwwwwwwww!!! As fate would have it, the plane's key is with me. Further, the pilot door's lock didn't work when I left the plane down there and I brought the 296 home with me. "So, feel free to relocate her; the door's unlocked and you can release the brake before towing".

Folks: ask me if I'm relieved. The car dealership??? Out of business for several days because they have no saleable cars in the huge lot.

HR

Last edited:
You're lucky!

I'm convinced my plane got hit by hail while at the paint shop. There are some very small divots in the stabilator you can only see at an obtuse angle.

There I was thinking, oooooh we got hail, I'm glad I have the rickety roof over the plane...oh.....It's not in the hangar.

Interesting timing...

I'm away from home on the work laptop so I can't post the photos from my server, but I got the bad news from my mechanic that mine might have been hit by hail while tied down on a grass strip in Montana a few weeks ago. The photos taken by a friend nearby show dimples on the wings and tail assembly. Now what :confused: I cannot believe I might total my plane out having only had it for less than two months! I figure reskinning would be more than it is worth :(

So here are photos sent to me by my friend who took time to go to my plane and take some photos. Jeez, now what? Insurance adjuster?!? The problem is the plane had very faint previous hail damage, and I'm having a hard time deciding if this is new, or just a photo playing tricks with my eyes and making the old damage look much, much worse than it is. I THINK it is new damage, and if the A&P believes it just happened...maybe he's right.

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks significant and would be phoning the ins co.; I wonder what an appraiser would say its new value is (hint) Maybe you can negotiate a settlement as I don't think you'd get the same as an undamaged a/c when you go to sell it - those dents are rather obvious) And reskinning.... ugh - what a huge job; try for loss of use/replacement airplane while its down for those 10 months. Good luck.

Back