"Portable" Hot Tubs?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
A couple of months ago, we rebuilt our deck. We had a 30 year old hot tub that was built in to the old deck, and opted to get rid of it since we didn't want to build it into the new deck, only to have it start leaking or otherwise fail immediately thereafter. The location is about the only good location for a permanent hot tub on the property, however it is also difficult to access and would require the use of a professional hot tub service. Plus, this year has had a number of other expenses and getting a replacement we'd be happy with isn't in the budget. Since it seems most people take bad care of used hot tubs, I'm not all that interested in buying a used one and paying to have it moved in only to have it then break soon thereafter. While I buy few things new, I think this is a case where it makes sense.

Another point is that while we loved the hot tub, its location is far from the house, and right now that's not something that results in us using it in the evenings (when we'd like to use it) since kiddo's asleep and we don't want to be that far away in case he wakes up. We do have a sun room off the main floor that would be a suitable location for one of those "portable" hot tubs. I've not known people who've had them before, but it seems like it might be a compromise for the moment at about 1/10 the price of what we'd pay for a more permanent solution. The general idea is that it would last us a few years until we decided it was a good time to get the real deal.

Searching online, most of the portable ones have the "air bubble" pump that just makes water fizzy but doesn't actually have jet functions. I found one that has real jets and looks like it'd be an option, which would be more what we really want.

Curious if anyone here has used these before and impressions. Obviously it won't be as nice as a real hot tub, but coming from a 30 year old tub with 5 jets, I'm thinking it wouldn't be that bad and might be the middle ground that we're looking for right now.

I've been through a number of hot tubs over the years. I've bought new and used. I've had them inside, outside, on a deck and built into a deck. I guess I've never had a 'real built-in permanent" tub which I understand to be a tub with a remote heater/sanitizer system I guess (?).

Here's my take; I wouldn't hesitate to get a small or large portable unit with 220volt service. They have real jets, larger ones can fit 4 strangers or 2X as many friendlies. Don't even consider 110 volt units if they are still available.

I've come to view hot tubs as very simple things. There's a fiberglass tub with various fittings. Then there's a pump or two and a heater along with the necessary control system and plumbing. The tubs are durable and the fitting hardware simple and solid. Pumps and heaters can and will wear out given enough years but they are easily and cheaply replaceable. Failures can also involve sensors which are also easily replaced.

I say all that to suggest that a used tub can be a very good deal. If it runs and the plumbing doesn't leak - it's a deal. At worse all you would have to do is replace a pump or heater down the line. Personally I see little or now advantage to new except that it's easy to obtain.

Regarding sanitation: after using various systems and see friends with various systems, I finally settled on spoonfuls of pool chlorine for maintenance. After filling I use pH adjustment chemicals to get the pH and alkalinity right - then just chlorine. A spoon before using if it's been more than a few days since last use. Two or three spoons after use. That's as simple as it gets.

I found out the worse thing one can do to a tub is to turn it off and ignore it like I did last year. It appears a pipe froze and burst and will require removal from the deck to fix. Will probably replace it.

What is an example of a permanently installed real tub and what are the advantages - I'll be shopping sometime soon.

Tractor Supply. Go to the back and ask for a metal water trough.

Works good and last a long time, plus has additional uses (if you have livestock).

Used to have a Dreammaker spa. I believe they're under the portable category. It's just a vinyl or fiberglass shell that you can pick up and roll it with one person. They only used 110 and instead of an expensive heating element, it actually compressed the water to heat it up. Takes about 24 hrs to heat but once it's at operating temperature it's sustains it well and won't break your electric bill. Had all the usual jets, mood lighting and waterfall. Loved that thing.

Now I have a Thermo Spa that runs on 220. Does the same thing as my old spa but costs twice as much.

Thanks for the input so far. Looking some more, I think we're leaning towards what would be a 2-person hot tub and probably not one of the inflatable ones. 110V is preferred in this case for what we want to do. Not ideal, I know, but would work for the goal here. That Dreammaker looks good, but maybe used is the way to go.

Bill, they don't make permanent install hot tubs anymore. There really is no advantage to it - you have to build the deck around it, rebuild the deck when it breaks, harder install/removal, etc. I view the big hot tubs (even in a cabinet) as permanent since they weigh too much otherwise.

Thanks for the input so far. Looking some more, I think we're leaning towards what would be a 2-person hot tub and probably not one of the inflatable ones. 110V is preferred in this case for what we want to do. Not ideal, I know, but would work for the goal here. That Dreammaker looks good, but maybe used is the way to go.

Bill, they don't make permanent install hot tubs anymore. There really is no advantage to it - you have to build the deck around it, rebuild the deck when it breaks, harder install/removal, etc. I view the big hot tubs (even in a cabinet) as permanent since they weigh too much otherwise.
That's what I was thinking about the permanent stuff.

I'm facing at deck extraction on my 15yo used unit. Fortunately I designed and built the deck so I was able to add some features to facilitate the extraction.

I used to have a Jacuzzi brand unit that ran on 110V. It was a very nice 2-4 person unit but there was an operational problem. The control system either allowed you to run the jets -or- run the heater. But both couldn't be run at the same time. So if you wanted to sit in it with the jets running, the water would start to get cold. Don't know how newer 110V systems handle that electron shortage but it turned out to be an issue back in the day.

Now I have no desire for jets and such, I just soak.

I've heard of that heater or jets issue. The newer ones seem to solve that problem at least partially. One description I saw said when the pump was on it ran the heater at half power.

I've heard of that heater or jets issue. The newer ones seem to solve that problem at least partially. One description I saw said when the pump was on it ran the heater at half power.
That is an advance over the old bottom of the line Jacuzzi.

Since those earlier days when a single pump ran periodically to drive the jets, heater and filtration system, tubs are now supplied with a small circulation pump that runs 24/7 and drives water thru the heater and filter. I can imagine that a small unit might be able to run a circulation only pump plus some heat. If that were the case, I'd be satisfied since I don't care for the jets and their white noise.

Anyway, good luck with your tub selection.

My Dreammaker ran periodically to keep the temp at whatever setting. Usually I had that thing full up at 104 degrees. Even while using it, it maintained the temp. Obviously while not in use you had to have the cover on. Used very little power on 110 volts. I had a 4 place but I guess now they sell a little 2 place as well.

Compressed the water? Really? Are you sure it wasn't the air that got compressed?

The Eclipse that I had used Hot Stick technology. It forced the water from a PVC pipe into smaller sections. This compression forces the water molecules into one another thereby creating friction and resulting in heat. The water is then forced into a vortex creating more heat. This process is done over and over again until the water is at operating temperature. It's not as quick as a typical heating element process but you also don't need to worry about replacing an expensive heating element when they corrode as well.

We sell materials used in the hot tub market. If I was going to buy a basic spa I would buy one of these. They are roto-molded polypropylene and low end, but are made in the USA. Not from China. I have see the molds and plastic being done in PA. There are some others doing them but most are molded/made in China.

http://www.strongspas.com/rio

And sorry I don't know them well enough to get a deal....:D

Dan
'79 Dakota

I definitely like that as a smaller/budget/portable option, price is a bit higher than I'd figured I wanted to spend as the hope was under $1k. But, worth considering.

I hear you. They get very expensive, real quick. Almost aviation grade in that respect. As a comparison, here is another manufacturers 'budget' model that uses a real acrylic shell, not roto-molded PP. Reatil is about $5000. Way different price point.
BTW this style with the jet pack is the only real spa I would own. Much cleaner install and it is changeable. If only I didn't enjoy motorcycles and aviation.....

http://www.bullfrogspas.com/listings/display/97/42/131

Back