Portable Flight Simulator - Take Home Version

rkiefer2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rkiefer2
Hey Everyone,

My wife had a great idea that I thought I'd get some feedback on. My goal would be to keep this extremely affordable <$50/week and make training more affordable and cover the costs of the equipment over time.

The Idea:
  • Create/Build a portable flight simulator that Private/IFR Students can use for proficiency improvements. Including Yoke, throttle quad, rudder pedals, radio, headset, computer, software, etc.

THIS WOULD NOT QUALIFY AS SIM INSTRUMENT TIME, MORE PROVIDE A LOW PRICED AID TO DEVELOP PROFICIENCY FROM HOME VS IN GROUND SCHOOL OR IN THE COCKPIT.

Has this been done before? Think theres value for this? Probably going to try it since I have everything anyways.

Thanks,

Roger

I think part of the PIC instrument course involves the instructor bringing a simulator to you. I know one guy that instructs for them but he isn't on this forum anymore. Maybe another PIC instructor will chime in.

Get an old computer, buy some cheap pedals and yoke, install Steam, buy Flight Simulator X Steam Edition... Fake fly to your hearts content.

I do at least 1 fake training flight a week on my set up (search my old posts to find the details on my setup). When I do, I plan my fake flight on my iPad, I file it on Lockmart, brief the weather... Run through my procedures mentally, fly it in real time.. Talking aloud back to the games ATC, fly an approach to minimums.

Seems to help keep some things fresh in my mind. Flight sims are good for a lot of procedural based things.... What they're not good for is learning stick and rudder skills.

I think part of the PIC instrument course involves the instructor bringing a simulator to you. I know one guy that instructs for them but he isn't on this forum anymore. Maybe another PIC instructor will chime in.

PIC uses both the Elite simulations solutions product and the TouchTrainer product.

Sure it's possible. Don't fool yourself that it will reduce training costs, though.

You can get quite proficient at a sim. But it's not the same proficiency, at least for primary training. There is some value in IFR procedures, but only in contexts limited to emergencies and autopilot management. Hand flying is totally different.

If you want to do this for fun, knock yourself out. But the stuff you spend the bulk of your training time on doesn't work the same.

There is some value in IFR procedures, but only in contexts limited to emergencies and autopilot management.

Would disagree with you completely on that. Doing a complete flight from planning to landing reinforces a lot more procedural items than emergency and autopilot management.

Would disagree with you completely on that. Doing a complete flight from planning to landing reinforces a lot more procedural items than emergency and autopilot management.

I find the feel on even an elaborate sim is so wrong, that a complete hand flown flight is essentially an extended exercise in trimming the wrong way. You can make this go away with an autopilot, but that's wrong unless your airplane has the same broad type.

I find the feel on even an elaborate sim is so wrong, that a complete hand flown flight is essentially an extended exercise in trimming the wrong way. You can make this go away with an autopilot, but that's wrong unless your airplane has the same broad type.

I'd agree with this. I do enjoy, occasionally, a simulated flight at home, but it's just not the same. The biggest thing missing from home simulation (when I do it anyway) is random events. The things we need to practice for IFR aren't takeoffs and coupled-approaches, but things like cockpit management and decision making. Hmm, is that ice forming outside? Not sure, should I try descending a bit? I've never gotten a completely new clearance with unfamiliar waypoints while in turbulence in a sim, nor been just slightly disoriented by a weird cloud angle. You can do some randomly timed equipment failures but I've never found that very realistic, and you can't simulate that flustered feeling of being overwhelmed by a situation.

I won't say it's valueless, and I do think my Redbird time during training was good, but when I sim at home it's for entertainment value or MAYBE to practice a particular route to a new airport. Ultimately I think my point is that this service is only worth the money with a good instructor at your side.

A good point.

My last approach had me vectored in the wrong direction and then cleared for the approach, fly direct to the IF (not the IAF), for arriving traffic at a nearby airport. Hard to imagine that happening in the sim.

And it was in a G1000, too. Not hard, but you do have to know how to set it up. It's neither VTF nor any of the other approach menu items.

I have my APSEL but use my home built simulator all the time. I practice all kinds of stuff in it. I even get to use my tablet and practice using Garmin Pilot which has a built-in interface to X-Plane. uploadfromtaptalk1448987780484.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have my APSEL but use my home built simulator all the time. I practice all kinds of stuff in it. I even get to use my tablet and practice using Garmin Pilot which has a built-in interface to X-Plane. View attachment 42765

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looks good, what instrument panel are you using?

100% in agreement with that, you can't simulate the feel or responses of control much less the feel of the plane itself. When I do my flights I'll taxi off and land with the controls for the fun factor, but all other flying is hotkeyed to a hat switch coupled with the games autopilot heading and alt.

There is some value in IFR procedures, but only in contexts limited to emergencies and autopilot management. Hand flying is totally different.

Violent disagreement on that one as well. You can practice end to end flights, including picking up IFR clearances and dealing with random occurrences that ATC throws at you all in a simulated environment.

I hand fly in x-plane with my $20 joystick the same way I hand fly my Lancair and I have no problem trimming out either system.

Back