Portable DVD Player Suggestions

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
Hello,

Would love to get some information and suggestions on purchasing a portable DVD player.

A year or so ago I saw a model with two screens. I'm thinking with 2 kids in the back of the plane or the car that 2 screens might be required as the viewing angle with one screen in the middle won't really work. Lately, though, I've not seen any two screen models. Is the screen viewing angle critical?

Do they all have audio video outputs for use with a standard TV or do I need to make sure? The shore house we rent has a VCR player but not a DVD player. I would like to connect the portable unit to the TV at the rental house while we are on vacation.

Do they have output jacks for more than one headset?

As anyone tried connecting the audio output to a portable aviation intercom?

Anyone with experiences, good or bad, regarding specific models I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Lately, though, I've not seen any two screen models.

Do they all have audio video outputs for use with a standard TV or do I need to make sure?

Do they have output jacks for more than one headset?

As anyone tried connecting the audio output to a portable aviation intercom?
Both Wal-Mart and Target carry a 2 screen model. The Wal-Mart one is a base unit with built in screen and a 2nd screen. The target model is a base unit w/ out a screen and 2 separate screens. I bought the Wal-Mart one before I ever saw the one at Target.

Mine does have all of the output bells and whistles for inputs and outputs. I've even used the screen(s) as displays for our play station - it's kind of cool.

Mike does have a headset jack on each display screen.

I've got an FM modulator that I hook up to the audio out of my unit so we can listen to the movies via our cars radio, it's awesome. If your intercom system has an audio input I almost guarantee you can get audio from either of these two systems into your headsets.

My plan, however, is to just let our kids use headsets to listen to the movies so I'm not distracted while piloting.

I don't have any information on the specific models or brands or anything here at work, but I bet with a little digging on their web sites you will be able to find them and compare features and prices.

Mike.

Len, I went through the same mental exercise ~3 years ago for my two children. I looked at displays built into headrests (201 pilot & copilot seats have headrests) and a single player unit that would fit vertical on the floor behind the trim wheel. Audio would feed into the music adapter on the SPA 400 intercom. But when I priced the entire set up I found that I could buy two individual portable DVD players for exactly the same cost (~$400) as the system cost. Advantages of two portable units: 1. There is no argument about which movie to watch, 2. The children can place ear buds under the DC headsets so they hear the movie without ATC or intercom squelch induced interruptions.

The installed system in the headrests would have had serious "cool" effect, but in the end I opted for two separate portable units. I shopped the internet and found some very inexpensive units with car power adapters, fairly large screens, good sound and video quality, etc., all for less than $200/unit. Unfortunately I'm not at home this week or I would check the video output answer.

Back