portable dvd player advice (NA)

tom clark

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tom Clark
Hi all. I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation on a portable dvd player for watching movies on commercial flights. I got a cyberhome that's got a nice pic, but with the noise of a 737 you can hardly hear the audio at all with or without headsets. And reading a number of reviews, the low sound output seems to be the biggest gripe about all these units. Any thoughts, short of buying anr headsets?? thanks! tc

Whatever you do, please, please connect a headset to it. If I have to listen to Winnie-the-Pooh, Star Wars and Shrek at the same time on another flight, the TSA is going to put me on a watch list. It blows me away that the parents sitting next to them didn't have any idea about common courtesy of the stupid VOLUME. Sheesh.

Brian Austin said:
Whatever you do, please, please connect a headset to it. If I have to listen to Winnie-the-Pooh, Star Wars and Shrek at the same time on another flight, the TSA is going to put me on a watch list. It blows me away that the parents sitting next to them didn't have any idea about common courtesy of the stupid VOLUME. Sheesh.

I agree 100%

If you want a larger screen you might think about getting a laptop with a dvd player. You could always get a splitter for the headphone output so more than one person could listen.

Iceman said:
If you want a larger screen you might think about getting a laptop with a dvd player. You could always get a splitter for the headphone output so more than one person could listen.
The bad thing about the laptop option is battery life. I've seen great battery times on some laptops go down the tubes when the DVD player is used constantly liked required in a movie.

you could always get earphones with a booster on them. That solves the low output. The other answer is to get ANC headsets. Kill the background noise and you can hear a lot better.
A PC with a DVD is a good idea but you might need several batteries for a 6 hour trip.

Maybe try connecting it to the music input of a portable intercom. You would either have to use a pair of headphones with the large plug or find a large plug to mini-plug adapter.

Len

Brian Austin said:
The bad thing about the laptop option is battery life. I've seen great battery times on some laptops go down the tubes when the DVD player is used constantly liked required in a movie.

Yeah your right...I remember reading about a power adapter that would allow you to plug into a power port in the armrest. Anyone else heard of this...do many planes have this power terminal?

Iceman said:
Yeah your right...I remember reading about a power adapter that would allow you to plug into a power port in the armrest. Anyone else heard of this...do many planes have this power terminal?

I bought one just before taking a trip to Europe a couple years ago and none of the planes I flew on had the power port, even in business class. The better option is a spare battery or two.

tom clark said:
Any thoughts, short of buying anr headsets?? thanks! tc
Keep in mind that the ANR is for reducing the low frequency rumble of piston engines. Even so I'll bet they would work. I'm not sure I would want to sport my mouse ear Lightspeeds on an airliner though.

silver-eagle said:
you could always get earphones with a booster on them. That solves the low output. The other answer is to get ANC headsets. Kill the background noise and you can hear a lot better.
A PC with a DVD is a good idea but you might need several batteries for a 6 hour trip.

Radio shack sell a great two port boaster for $15. Two AA batteries

jkaduk said:
Keep in mind that the ANR is for reducing the low frequency rumble of piston engines. Even so I'll bet they would work. I'm not sure I would want to sport my mouse ear Lightspeeds on an airliner though.

ANR? Bosed Quiet Comfort II. Very good, very expensive (+/- $300 IIRC). If you travel a lot I recommend them. They should not be used by a pilot in GA aircraft as they are not fail-safe. When the battery runs down, all audio quits, not just the ANR function. (Mitigating that, the audio doesn't suddenly quit, it becomes intermittant, "telling" you battery failure is coming very soon).

-Skip

Back