Portabe GPS, ships power, ant, mtg bracket legal?

PoAdeleted5

Deleted by User Request
Ok, I have a handheld GPS 296.

I dislike the clutter of cable in the cockpit of my cherokee.

I just saw a new plastic mounting bracket that bolts into the radio panel to hold the 296. I like it.

I have a defunct loran antenna, which a Garmin GPS antenna will directly replace.

I have a Garmin power cable with wire ends.

My proposal is to install the mounting bracket in my radio stack where there's a spacer right now. It will fit and not interfere with anything.

Further, I want to ditch the loran antenna (the loran being long gone) in favor of a new Garmin GA56 GPS antenna, route the cable to the bracket for the portable GPS.

As the final touch, I'd like to run the power cable to an unused fuse on the fuse panel, labeled "GPS" that some prior owner had previously hardwired his portable GPS power cable to.

Ok, the Garmin antenna is probably not too big of a deal to get approval, just fill out the 337 like one normally would for the antenna installation, cite the installation instructions, etc.

The plastic mounting bracket is of course, "for experimental use only" but it is nicely made, completely passive kind of thing. But it will require field approval to install permanently in the plane. I'd be sure it was placarded "GPS not approved for IFR" or similar such wording.

I'd think the tricky one would be power cable.

Anyone got any advice on how to seek approval on this project? Separate 337 for each item, or put it all on one and see what the FSDO says? Any advice on how to word it? I'm in the San Jose FSDO if that makes any difference.

I was facing this problem, not with a GPS, but with my electronic attitude indicator. I simply had the shop install a 12V aux plug out of sight under the panel on the firewall (well, actually on a cross tube, but you get the idea). The power cable runs under the panel to the plug, with everything routed and secured in a stable but portable fashion. The only necessary work was a log entry for the fused aux power plug.

I will put my FAA FSDO hat on to answer your question. First I would fill out separate FAA Form 337’s for each one. But before you do that call the San Jose FSDO and ask to speak to an avionic inspector (Shawn), great guy.

Taking off my FAA hat. I will be speaking at Business Jet Center Hangar 1 Oakland (KOAK) 9255 Earhart Road, May 21, on the field approval process and how to obtain one. Handouts will be given to help owners with the process. I can work with you one on one if you like. I will be at the Narvon maintenance seminar all day. The seminar will start at 8:00AM with coffee and I will start the field approval presentation at about 8:30 AM its free. On May 21 the schedule is: 9:00 - 5:00 Trade show and technical sessions (FAA & Trade Reps) or go to http://www.navioneer.org/WCNMS/ for all the information.

You can contact me at (510) 748-0122 ext. 246 for more information or ask for Denny.

Stache

Oh MAN! I wanna go so bad! I like the Navions a lot and would love to see some up close.

My wife has plans for me that have something to do with a paintbrush and a stepladder on Saturday morning. Maybe I can talk her out of it...

Otherwise, I'll give you a jingle.

Back