Poll on e-logbooks: Sim / FTD / PCATD?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Just curious... IDEALLY (if you could have it any way you want), what columns would you have available for logging sim time?

Would you have separate columns for Sim / FTD / PCATD / OTHER(??)? Or just one column for "Simulator" and then make additional comments in the remarks?

Is there a compelling reporting reason (time, currency, etc.) for logging them in separate columns, if such were available (such as in an electronic logbook)... in other words, would there be a real reason (other than curiousity) to make sure you logged FTD time in it's own column separate from PC-ATD?

And, now that PC-ATDs come in several flavors (PCATD-A and PCATD-B: http://www.flyelite.com/support/documents/MAY IFR B-ATD Article.pdf), and some can be used for instrument currency and others can't, and some can be used for more hours towards ratings than others, etc., would it make sense to have a way to log those in separate columns?

I am working on a web-based time logging application, and would appreciate your comments. While we're at it, let me know if there are any other "features" that would be important to you.

Thanks,

Troy

Troy Whistman said:
Or just one column for "Simulator" and then make additional comments in the remarks?

That is how I would do it.

in other words, would there be a real reason (other than curiousity) to make sure you logged FTD time in it's own column separate from PC-ATD?

I don't think so.

And, now that PC-ATDs come in several flavors (PCATD-A and PCATD-B: http://www.flyelite.com/support/documents/MAY IFR B-ATD Article.pdf), and some can be used for instrument currency and others can't, and some can be used for more hours towards ratings than others, etc., would it make sense to have a way to log those in separate columns?

Again, I don't think so. I would make one column labeled "Simulated Instrument" or something to that effect. All other details would go in the remarks column. If it isn't loggable for currency, I wouldn't put it in my log book. But that is just my preference.

You may want to put another column for class D sims. You can count landings for currency in those. They may be enough different that they warrent their own column. But other than that, I wouldn't clutter up a log book with columns that not that many people would use.

I agree with Greg.

I don't put anything in my log book I don't need. Just something to catch attention for no reason.

I loged the little sim time I havd in the "Sim" & in the comments put the place,type or sim & have the CFI sign off on it.

Eamon

Greg Bockelman said:
That is how I would do it.

I don't think so.

Again, I don't think so. I would make one column labeled "Simulated Instrument" or something to that effect. All other details would go in the remarks column. If it isn't loggable for currency, I wouldn't put it in my log book. But that is just my preference.

You may want to put another column for class D sims. You can count landings for currency in those. They may be enough different that they warrent their own column. But other than that, I wouldn't clutter up a log book with columns that not that many people would use.

The problem stems from mixing time which counts towards one rating but not another or that has different limits on what applies. For instance you can log simulated instrument time on a PCATD that can be used for up to something like 10 hours towards the IR experience requirements vs 15 hours for an approved FTD and some PCATD's cannot be used for maintaining currency. When you put both PCATD and FTD time in the sim column with appropriate remarks, you would have to add up the different sim times to prove your ready.

I log them separately because the 8710 lists them separately. It's like logging your Glider and Airplane together because they both have fixed wings.

I log it as a separate column on Logbook Pro (ie. FTD) but log it was sim in my paper logbook and make a note in the remarks or in the SIM time block itself (annotated with FTD or something similar).

I only log SIM time when flying an actual simulator. If using an FTD or ATD I just log the simulated instrument time and the approaches. I put the make/model of the device if it's an FTD/ATD in the aircraft block, and don't log any other time.

For "real" simulators - I put down the type, and log SIM time as well as the sim inst and approaches.

I log them separately because the 8710 lists them separately. It's like logging your Glider and Airplane together because they both have fixed wings.
Did anyone else notice that this is a 6 year old thread?

Back