Polishing up

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Finally got to fly with my instructor again today, with the idea in mind that we would begin review in preparation for my PP-G check ride.

Interesting conditions: strong but narrow thermals up to about 3500 or so, with even stronger sink in surrounding areas. Also had a typical "undecided" northerly crosswind at 47N... first launch of the day was off 07, then we switched to 25, but the wind was inclined to get a bit behind us when landing.
It was officially review, but we were eager to do some soaring; it's a habit of glider pilots on a sunny day with lots of flat-bottom cumulus clouds dotting the sky. :D

First flight, we were both excitedly noting the killer thermals we were being towed through, only to find that they were gone when we got off and headed for them. the club's most accomplished soaring guy, Andy, had been talking to me the other day about thermal cycles; today was a textbook example of how that works, but I still have a lot to learn. :D
Got into some intense sink, and I opted to enter the pattern much earlier than anticipated. We got a tickle of 200 up at the IP, but it was a sucker bet, so I went ahead and made my crosswind entry. Disappointing, but educational.

Landed way too long, but there is plenty of workable turf over there, so it was no problem, other than the long march back to the staging area. :rolleyes:

Second flight saw me gaining 1000 feet, and when it petered out, we tried working upwind towards some promising new wisps. Again, the sink monsters got ahold of us enroute, and I got some needed review on bravely dumping the nose and just trying to get the heck out of the sink, then gradually slowing up as the vario began to register a decrease in sink, then lift. I'ts hard to do this, especially with any amount of power time; you have no power, and you're diving, as the descent rate heads for the bottom stop. It seems crazy. "But if the vario's showing 5, 600 down, and you diddle around at 60 mph", he explained (for not the first time), "the sink will just drive you into the ground."

Made it about 4 or 5 miles west, "porpoising" the whole way (speeding through sink then nursing the nose back up at the slightest sings of lift), but I was looking anxiously for Solberg Airport out there as we got into some nasty sink again and started getting pretty darn low.

Gus suggested we turn around, so after losing even more precious feet in a turn, I headed for where I felt we could still find some "zero". Found some mild lift again on the way there, after more porpoising, and sure enough, I was able to hold altitude in zero the last mile or so to the pattern. I got lucky, I guess, but at least I had a plan. :D

We actually had altitude to spare approaching the initial point, and there was just enough lift over the field to allow Gus to show me a little low-altitude circling, slowly bleeding off the excess height. He was even able to make a full two turns at TPA; a neat trick with the crosswind, I have to say.
My usual M.O. in such a situation is to do something similar, but farther out, or arrive at the IP and bang out the spoilers and slip like crazy; these techniques work well enough, but his solution worked very nicely, thanks to the lack of sink.
And if one is to circle down, it's definitely better to do it at the IP, rather than risk getting too low farther out and count on not encountering sink in the last half-mile or so as you hit the IP and begin the pattern. I knew this, but hadn't worked on it enough.

My second landing was better, as the wind had slackened a little and I also made a better choice about where to turn base. Not too shabby overall, and it looks like we'll do a couple more, including a SRB, then he'll sign me off to the tender mercies of the examiner (who I hear is actually a "good guy", although not a pushover).

A little more studying for the oral, and said review flights, and I think I'll do OK. No written for PPASEL holders, but the gotcha with that is that because I hold that rating, he can quiz me on topics more related to that sort of flying. I've been working with my old flash cards, and some new ones pertaining to soaring stuff and the 2-33 itself, and it seems I remember quite a bit about the "old" stuff,, so I am pretty confident.

great!

what does your club have for single seaters? anything that is available to take cross country?

great!

What does your club have for single seaters? anything that is available to take cross country?
We have a 1-26, about the same vintage as the 2-33... and we even have an open trailer for it.
The trailer hasn't been used in years, but it wouldn't take much to make it ready-to-go. I might have to suggest we do that when I start flying the 1-26...:D
AFAIK, though, nobody in this club has ever landed out. We just don't venture that far, although Andy has - out to Blairstown and return recently; that's pretty damn good.
On that flight, he more than likely could have landed there, or at any of three suitable airports along the way, in which case we could have sent the Citabria over there to tow him out.

It would be great to have trailers for both ships, and chase crews, etc... but we have our fun. Although when I get low in the 2-33, I worry more about how we'll get it home than what will happen to me (or it) if I have to put it in a field or golf course.

yea get that trailer ready for the 1-26. At least so you can do your silver badge in it. The guys over in Blairstown have been flying some pretty long flights lately by getting up and out and connecting with the ridge out to the west. I think one of them broke 1000 km a few weeks ago.

Ron Clarke flys a 1-26 out of Blairstown and just happens to be winning the SSA OLC contest. He put in 838 km on Saturday. http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1573506488

I personally believe that every glider should have a servicable trailer, but both clubs i've been in have had no trailer at all or a non roadworthy trailer for their 2 seaters. Funny that the lowest performance gliders on the field are the ones without trailers. I might try to get at least one of the open schweizer trailers ready so that we can trailer the 2-22 or 2-33. The 2-22 has a handicap of 2 and on a strong day you could really rack up some OLC points in it.

You could get a season or two of thermalling, gaggling, landing out and general XC experience and then take the club ship to the 1-26 contest. I'd love to do that but just need a 1-26.

Haha- I'm not surprised that this trailer syndrome is common... I guess the logic is that nobody will be trying to go far in a 2-seater. Not very sound logic, 'cuz you could land out a mile from the home 'drome on any flight, and yes, the lower the performance, the more likely it is to happen.

And I have been told that something like a 2-33 could indeed be flown quite a ways, in the right hands on a good day. I don't think our club will ever get a trailer for the 2-33... actually, what we could really use is another 2-33, for those days when all the active members are present and we are getting a lot of "walk up" interest in intro flights.

Yes, I really want to get a little more serious, at least go for the badges, starting next season perhaps...

For now, my plan is to get the PP, start flying the 1-26 a little to get a feel for it, maybe do my CP before the end of this season, then think about badges and maybe my CFI next year.
As far as comps go, I'm more interested right now in ratings and badges. But you never know- if the stars are aligned and I feel ready to fly in a comp, I might do it. Otherwise, it's something i want to do later. I see myself eventually getting (or building) my own glider nd getting into comps at that point. Apparently, I have just barely enough space in my corner of the loft to build a Duster... hmmmm...

I also definitely want to do some glider-flying out of Blairstown eventually... did my power intro flight there many years ago and have visited a few times. They do quite well with the modest ridge lift available there; I know from experience that on a good day there is plenty of energy aloft in that area. And it really is a perfect starting point to make an epic run down the lee of the Appalachians... I've heard about the recent records; pretty inspiring.

I'm psyched to try the 1-26... ours may not be the best one (OK, it's definitely not the best one, LOL), but the more I hear and read about the 1-26, the more impressed I am. I'm just pretty stoked to fly anything with only one seat... major "coolness factor" there. :D

Last edited:
yea it is a lot of fun flying single seat. my first single seat anything was in the club 1-26 with the open cockpit canopy. that rocked!

Do you have any instructors in your club doing A,B,C, and Bronze Badges? If not you should motivate them to become SSA Instructors. It doesnt cost a thing and is a good way to promote badge flying right from the beginning.

I'm psyched to try the 1-26... ours may not be the best one (OK, it's definitely not the best one, LOL), but the more I hear and read about the 1-26, the more impressed I am. I'm just pretty stoked to fly anything with only one seat... major "coolness factor" there. :D

We solo our students in the 2-33 and then cut them loose in the 1-26 to get their solo requirements out of the way for the PTS.

Why tie up a training 2 seater (2-33) when the 1-26 is available and an extra CFIG on the ground to monitor the solo student.

Back