Polishing sunglass lenses

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
My shades have polycarbonate polarized lenses. They have some minor scratches which hamper my view. Would I be able to polish the lens to remove the scratches without damaging the polarization?

Richard said:
My shades have polycarbonate polarized lenses. They have some minor scratches which hamper my view. Would I be able to polish the lens to remove the scratches without damaging the polarization?

Depends on whether the polarization is a surface layer or a diffused layer within the polycarbonate. Tough to tell without being the lens manufacturer or without potentially destroying the lens.

Richard said:

If it's just layered on, they're pretty delicate so I wouldn't try to polish the lens but a very light, very narrow nanotouch with a black, indelible, ultra fine-point marker has been known to hold one over until the next prescription can be filled.

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
If it's just layered on, they're pretty delicate so I wouldn't try to polish the lens but a very light, very narrow nanotouch with a black, indelible, ultra fine-point marker has been known to hold one over until the next prescription can be filled.

I'm not sure if the same stuff is available here in the 'states, but back in the UK, we used to use metal-polish wadding - brand name was Brasso, and was designed to polish (unsurprisingly..) brass and other non-ferros metals.

Came in a small metal tin, and was kind of like soggy cotton wool type material. Was just abrasive enough to remove the very outer layer of plastic - we used to use it to remove scratches from plastic hi-fi turntable cases and the like.

Never tried is on polarised specs, but polycarbonate, abs, polyethylene and most other hard plastics reacted just fine.

Thanks, you guys. I fear the polarization is a film layered onto the lens exterior and would probably suffer for the polishing. I don't need prescription glasses so the shades are just to protect my sun/wind sensitive eyes. Brasso wadding is available here--I've used it for years--but not as easy to find as liquid Brasso. Any USMC boot would know where to find it.

I have used jeweler's rouge previously but that was on real glass with the polarization not applied as a film. My current shades are Ray Ban, cost $150, and are considered to be cheap! The $200+ shades I've bought I lose in the first week.

I think I'm gonna' try a small amount of Brasso in a corner of the lens.

Richard said:
Thanks, you guys. I fear the polarization is a film layered onto the lens exterior and would probably suffer for the polishing. I don't need prescription glasses so the shades are just to protect my sun/wind sensitive eyes. Brasso wadding is available here--I've used it for years--but not as easy to find as liquid Brasso. Any USMC boot would know where to find it.

I have used jeweler's rouge previously but that was on real glass with the polarization not applied as a film. My current shades are Ray Ban, cost $150, and are considered to be cheap! The $200+ shades I've bought I lose in the first week.

I think I'm gonna' try a small amount of Brasso in a corner of the lens.

There are likely some anti reflective, and other coatings on one or both sides of the lenses. Even the UV protection might be a coating, so I'd be very careful.

Richard,
Not sure what the name of the stuff was, but just the other day I saw an ad on TV for just what you are looking for. It was a rub on coating that fills the scuffs and scratches in glasses w/o damaging the UV protectant. If I find the name of it I'll let you know.

Its called liquid lense and here is the webb site, www.rkdm.com/liquidlense/index.htm

Last edited:
Richard,

If the tint is just scratched try going to one of the 1 hour glasses places...they often apply the tint themselves...they have dunking tanks...the lens may end up darker over all.

Len

Back