Poker run?

I think it is where you get a group of pilots/planes, land at a number of airports and pickup a card (so 4-5 landings) and however makes the best hand, wins.

That's correct. When I was a kid, we did it on motorcycles. Five locations, five cards, best poker hand wins.

When is the poker run Jeanie?

Hi, Doc, it's in June at the LLT fly in in Savannah, Tennessee ... I signed up to go and they are having a poker run... I told em I don't know what that is but I'm fixin to find out and whatever it is I'm doing it because I'm not gonna fly 830 NM and not do whatever is happening!

1997 170 fly in at PAE, the poker run was Paine to Port Townsend, to Friday Harbor, to Anacortes to Bayview, to Arlington and back to Paine. I checked in to Arlington 18 on the down wind. Paine tower was stacking the 170s in holding, I was 24 to land.

Fun Day, included in the run was a flower bomb drop, and a best landing contest.

Hi, Doc, it's in June at the LLT fly in in Savannah, Tennessee ... I signed up to go and they are having a poker run... I told em I don't know what that is but I'm fixin to find out and whatever it is I'm doing it because I'm not gonna fly 830 NM and not do whatever is happening!

Aw shucks! I thought it was gonna be in the Big Bend country.

A tip I found useful is to proceed opposite direction of the majority of participants. For some reason most planes all fly the same direction. Then the race to be first at landing. Everyone gets bunched up. Factor in slowing for spacing and long downwinds.

The 3 poker runs I have flown all feature a deadline which means you have to arrive back at the originating field or you are DQ'd.

You might consider finding a passenger. A kid and parent would be fun. But be careful to screen for whiney people. They can ruin a good time.

awesome, have fun Jeanie! How many stops is 830nm?

I'm planning 3 stops- the first for fuel the second to stay overnight at hot springs and get in the hotel's sauna and then fly into KSNH the next morning.

A tip I found useful is to proceed opposite direction of the majority of participants. For some reason most planes all fly the same direction. Then the race to be first at landing. Everyone gets bunched up. Factor in slowing for spacing and long downwinds.

The 3 poker runs I have flown all feature a deadline which means you have to arrive back at the originating field or you are DQ'd.

You might consider finding a passenger. A kid and parent would be fun. But be careful to screen for whiney people. They can ruin a good time.

~~~~~. Ooo, good tip. I might ride along with another pilot or have one ride with me or Kevin might ride along

Aw shucks! I thought it was gonna be in the Big Bend country.

Nope, but if enough folks want to come out this way we could try one... Problem is that the fields are all fairly far apart

Colorado Pilots Assn poker run last year was KGXY, KFNL, KLMO, KEIK, KBJC.

Five cards. One each airport.

Spot landing contest that awarded a wildcard if you hit the spot, judged by our very own Murphey here on PoA at KLMO which I flubbed badly.

Lunch at KBJC at the finish line. If there was a time limit it was so long no one worried about it (no need to rush people and create a safety problem).

President won. We all joked that it was rigged over lunch.

Truth is, he's flown his 210 for so many years I think he just subconsciously wills it to land where he wants.

We had three pilots on board 79M and swapped seats at every stop which added to the fun.

Back