Point in space; e-filing

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Sometimes I fly vfr along 80% of this regular route of mine, then pick up an airborne clearance, based on a vor radial/distance as the 'departure point'.

So far I have only been able to work the filing by telephone.

I would love to do it by fltplan.com or FF.

I could not get FF to accept it and fltplan support says just file from the nearest identified airport. (that does not sound right to me as it won't protect the airspace, and they will be looking for the crash site in the wrong place)

Ideas/comments/suggestions?

Try VOR/radial/distance. As in FQF/180/020.

Edit: That works as a waypoint but you want to start your flight plan there, right?

Last edited:
Yes, Mari -
the problem is Fltplan.com will only accept 3 or 4 digits.

OK, I see what you mean. Their other suggestion seems like it would work. They don't start protecting the airspace until they give you a clearance so that would not be a problem. It would be pretty much the same idea as filing from an airport, departing VFR, and picking it up in the air.

I could not get FF to accept it and fltplan support says just file from the nearest identified airport. (that does not sound right to me as it won't protect the airspace, and they will be looking for the crash site in the wrong place)

I file a nearby airport as the departure point if I want to pick up an IFR clearance airborne. When you activate the flight plan they will clear you from present position not from the field you file from. There shouldn't be any issue with protected airspace, etc. We do this all the time by departing VFR out of NY and filing/activating an IFR flight plan on file out of BID to ACK.

Try VOR/radial/distance. As in FQF/180/020.

Edit: That works as a waypoint but you want to start your flight plan there, right?

Side note: Jesse and I (well really just Jesse) found that this seems to work in Foreflight also, but it converts navaid radial/distance to Lat/Long to actually file it, which is goofy and the controllers don't like it much. So it's generally a worthless feature other than finding such a point on a chart.

Sometimes I fly vfr along 80% of this regular route of mine, then pick up an airborne clearance, based on a vor radial/distance as the 'departure point'.

So far I have only been able to work the filing by telephone.

I would love to do it by fltplan.com or FF.

Ideas/comments/suggestions?

??? I just call up on the radio and file enroute if I need to do an IFR segment later in a flight.

??? I just call up on the radio and file enroute if I need to do an IFR segment later in a flight.

Henning:

Dave's a "plan it all out" kinda guy... Gets it one, too!

Obtw, it took three tries to get "Henning" past the iPad's auto-correct.

"He Ning"? Really?

Side note: Jesse and I (well really just Jesse) found that this seems to work in Foreflight also, but it converts navaid radial/distance to Lat/Long to actually file it, which is goofy and the controllers don't like it much. So it's generally a worthless feature other than finding such a point on a chart.

I don't agree that it is a worthless feature. There are times when the only way to file a route is to use the Lat/Long feature. My favorite example is the expected routing found in the Air Venture NOTAM that goes something like direct PMM, then via the PMM 333 radial to intercept V510, V510 FAH.

DUATS might work when fltplan doesn't. I often file IFR to VFR-on-top and have to use DUATS for that.
Also, maybe you could use an NRS waypoint? (see here, scroll down)

I don't agree that it is a worthless feature. There are times when the only way to file a route is to use the Lat/Long feature. My favorite example is the expected routing found in the Air Venture NOTAM that goes something like direct PMM, then via the PMM 333 radial to intercept V510, V510 FAH.

No, I meant using a radial/distance of a VOR is the "worthless" part since they mangle it before sending it into the FAA system.

The controllers can enter those radial/distance points into their system, but whether it's FF or the API's fault, you can't enter those from FF.

Not saying picking a random point and filing it isn't a good feature... sometimes you need that. More often, you'd prefer the radial/distance.

You could file from the nearest airport, and then enter your actual intended departure point as the first fix in your route of flight. That way, your actual point of departure will get searched. I think protection of airspace is based on the clearance you receive, not what you file. You might need to mention what airport you filed from when you ask for your clearance.

Also, maybe you could use an NRS waypoint? (see here, scroll down)

hey...I like using imagination to solve problems, thanks.
Unfortunately I am /A and nrs are for Rnav, hi-alt flight.

Yeah, but you probably fly in places that are always in fss radio range. (I try to avoid popups, esp. when I am on the ground, knowing I am going to need a clearance later, and plenty of time to phone it in beforehand).

Here is the scenario, the chart shows the route and direction. Approaching destination there is typically a bulge of clouds off the gulf. If I file all the way from my origin, as /A I will need to go well N to stay on the airways (I'm not comfortable asking for RVs >100nm). So I make the origin about 75mi east of STV, when I can pick up the vor and where the clouds usually start. (have tried filing from home field but they always have trouble finding my clearance as it goes to a different center (abq vs hou).
So I have a system that works great. By phone.
Just want to be able to put JCT240040 into FF or fltplan as the origin for ease of use.

Attachments

• route.JPG
    route.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, but you probably fly in places that are always in fss radio range. (I try to avoid popups, esp. when I am on the ground, knowing I am going to need a clearance later, and plenty of time to phone it in beforehand).

Or ATC, yeah, they'll take it as well.

Here is the scenario, the chart shows the route and direction. Approaching destination there is typically a bulge of clouds off the gulf. If I file all the way from my origin, as /A I will need to go well N to stay on the airways (I'm not comfortable asking for RVs >100nm). So I make the origin about 75mi east of STV, when I can pick up the vor and where the clouds usually start. (have tried filing from home field but they always have trouble finding my clearance as it goes to a different center (abq vs hou).
So I have a system that works great. By phone.
Just want to be able to put JCT240040 into FF or fltplan as the origin for ease of use.

Why not just file direct and not pick up your clearance until you need it? Is there no airway or intersection anywhere can intercept conveniently? Best I remember where you have an X you've got fine contact with ATC and I'm pretty sure FSS as well.

Back