POA SoCal Meetup!

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
It's been a few months since the last time a group of us got together at KMYF, I'm thinking it's probably time to do it again. When and where? I know there are a bunch of us in the San Diego area. Casa Machado worked great last time, but there was also some talk of flying somewhere which might open it up to some LA folks as well.

So what do you guys think? Place? Date?

My schedule is pretty wide open other than a couple days at the end of next week.

I'm in LA at the moment, I have no transportation but a boat in Marina Del Rey. Not sure how long I'll be here.

I am down for pretty much whenever. My check ride is tomorrow morning (Sat the 3rd), so as long as I don't screw myself up and fail, I would be down for a fly-in somewhere (plane availability as well).

-Brian

I am headed for Camarillo (CMA) tomorrow (Saturday) and Santa Paula (SZP) on Sunday for open hangar day.
I am flying in the Cable air show in Upland the 10th and 11th.
It would be fun to meet some of you either place.
I am usually the only gyroplane there so I am easy to find.

Last edited:
I am headed for Camarillo (CMA) tomorrow (Saturday) and Santa Paula (SZP) on Sunday for open hangar day.

If I make it to SZP on Sunday, I'll give a look.
I'm near both CMA and SZP.

I still dont get how those dang things fly. I'd totally love to check it out though!

I'm a big fan of SMO even with the landing fee, and the spitfire grill next door is great as well. Was just up there this morning. Best part is whoever gets there first gets to sit on the bleachers and score everyone's landings :goofy:

I am down for pretty much whenever. My check ride is tomorrow morning (Sat the 3rd), so as long as I don't screw myself up and fail, I would be down for a fly-in somewhere (plane availability as well).

-Brian

Good Luck Brian! Cant wait to see how it goes!

I still dont get how those dang things fly. I'd totally love to check it out though!

I'm a big fan of SMO even with the landing fee, and the spitfire grill next door is great as well. Was just up there this morning. Best part is whoever gets there first gets to sit on the bleachers and score everyone's landings :goofy:

The Cavalon I am flying appears to me to fly pretty well.
It your weigh less than 242 pounds I would be glad to show you how they fly and let you drive her around a little.
Takeoff and landing are peculiar so I will have the aircraft controls for that.
I have not yet flown into SMO as pilot in command and I would like to before it is gone.

I was at the Cable Airshow a few years ago and actually had to leave - it was an open airshow and there were aircraft everywhere. First airshow I've been to where I felt unsafe. A biplane was on final and kept having to circle because aircraft behind him were too fast (including a flight of like 15 experimentals that kept going around the pattern). Cessna drivers were firewalling throttles and trying to show off with the rest. We actually left.

Has it gotten any better there recently? If I was in the area I'd show up and say hi but the cold grip of Oklahoma has me stuck :rolleyes:

I hear we have a new pilot in SoCal, Congrats Brian!

Indeed! Check ride went awesome! If I could do the Carlton dance I would! hahah

Can't wait to get out there and do some flying instead of just maneuvers and pattern work lol

-Brian

I was at the Cable Airshow a few years ago and actually had to leave - it was an open airshow and there were aircraft everywhere. First airshow I've been to where I felt unsafe. A biplane was on final and kept having to circle because aircraft behind him were too fast (including a flight of like 15 experimentals that kept going around the pattern). Cessna drivers were firewalling throttles and trying to show off with the rest. We actually left.

Has it gotten any better there recently? If I was in the area I'd show up and say hi but the cold grip of Oklahoma has me stuck :rolleyes:

I have been going to the Cable Air show for three years and flew in it the last two.
I have not seen anything that appeared to me to be a near miss.
The do like to keep a lot of aircraft flying.
The air boss is a controller from Bracket.
Bob Cable even has someone on UNICOM to help with congestion.
It is a busy uncontrolled airport before and after the airshow.

Can't wait to get out there and do some flying instead of just maneuvers and pattern work lol

-Brian

Congratulations Brian!!!

-Brian

Congratulations Brian!!! I am down for another meetup, a fly in would be great. CMA is always a good choice, but I'm happy to fly anywhere in the basin. My schedule is fairly wide open for the next couple of weeks.

I already talked with Dallas, so if it is a fly in around the LAX area, CMA or somewhere, I am down to go, but not flying solo. I will just tag along with Dallas. Would rather do the corridors of LAX with a CFI before I do it myself.

I am taking my mom up for a flight this Sat, and going to my friends place on the 17th, but I am free any other time.

-Brian

Not sure exactly how my schedule will work out over next few weeks - EAA Chapter 14 is flying to KPOC on Sunday the 18th, I was thinking about flying to Vegas for my Birthday on the 25th but I am working on a Yak-52 purchase which might have me occupied - I'll keep an eye on this space and see if I can work it out though.

'Gimp

My birthday is on the 24th, and I was thinking about a vegas trip with a friend whose birthday is the 25th!

Ok, so it sounds like this weekend might be busy for a bunch of us, and the 24th/25th weekend might be as well.

How does the 17th or 18th look for everyone?

Forgot, I am also speaking at EAA 14 (KSDM) on the 17th about Android EFB's - come on out if you want to hear about Garmin Pilot and other Android apps in the cockpit.

'Gimp

The 17th I will be at my friends place and staying the night, but I will be coming back home early on Sunday. So the 18th would work for me, as long as we left a bit later in the morning, say 11 - 11:30.

-Brian

Forgot, I am also speaking at EAA 14 (KSDM) on the 17th about Android EFB's - come on out if you want to hear about Garmin Pilot and other Android apps in the cockpit.

'Gimp

I might just have to do that, since I use a bunch of android devices.

The Cavalon I am flying appears to me to fly pretty well.
It your weigh less than 242 pounds I would be glad to show you how they fly and let you drive her around a little.
Takeoff and landing are peculiar so I will have the aircraft controls for that.
I have not yet flown into SMO as pilot in command and I would like to before it is gone.

You are making this sound extremely tempting. I'd absolutely love a ride in your flying contraption, and I'm about 100lbs under your weight limit :)

Just looked on their web site and it looks like I need to register, but I'll see about getting that form out. It would probably be sunday for me.

You are making this sound extremely tempting. I'd absolutely love a ride in your flying contraption, and I'm about 100lbs under your weight limit :)

Just looked on their web site and it looks like I need to register, but I'll see about getting that form out. It would probably be sunday for me.

I usually have an extra helmet/headset with me so if you see me around just ask.
If you want to fly up to Santa Maria where I am based we can fly up the beach to San Luis Obispo for lunch and back down through the Huasna Valley.
I am trying to become a CFI so I need all the practice I can get.
Just shoot me a private message a couple of day ahead and I will make it work.
I will be busy at Cable but usually fly one or two a day. Friday is the best although I already have one scheduled.

I have to do 5 hours of solo in my new bird before I can take any passengers, so I'm probably gonna go fly around a bunch over the weekend. Got my registration for Cable so hopefully I'll see you up there. Thanks for the offer!

Back on topic, when and where do we all wanna meet? The 18th works for me if it works for everyone else!

Are we planning to fly somewhere, keep it local SD? What time was everyone thinking? I will be in Chino Sat night (17th), driving home first thing in the morning. Should be home by 10ish at the latest, depends on when my ass gets up and moving. :)

-Brian

18th should work for me, assuming I don't get called in for work. Late morning-early afternoon works best for me, I have to ride my horse in the am so I can't do early. I'm happy to meet anywhere, I'll be coming from SNA.

I'm happy to report that the randomly scheduled 'Desert Drop' spot landing and 'flour' bombing contest is on for Chiriaco Summit on February 21st. It's probably also a good place for a meet-up, as it's equally horrible to get to from most of So Cal Participation is $50(bring a high-wing plane with an operable window for the bombing, bragging rights and a trophy awaits the winners), tagging along and making fun of people is free. http://www.eventbrite.com/e/desert-drop-challenge-winter-2015-tickets-14961305668

Previous photos: http://www.sdwphotography.com/gallery3/index.php/aviation/l77dd042014
Video: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSkcgQaa3m4GS4mlUrA-Z4p0t6b6sgpJ7

I'm definitely down to fly someplace. I ended up having to cancel my trip to pick up my new plane, but I'm hoping to get it done next week. Either way I should be good for the 18th, even if I have to use a club plane.

Now we just gotta pick a destination! I'll throw in a vote for SMO or someplace north up the coast simply so I can give Brian his first taste of crossing LAX. I've also been wanting to get over to the museum there.

Last edited:
The flour bombing event sounds like a ton of fun as well. I'll have to add that to my calendar.

I'm definitely down to fly someplace. I ended up having to cancel my trip to pick up my new plane, but I'm hoping to get it done next week. Either way I should be good for the 18th, even if I have to use a club plane.

Now we just gotta pick a destination! I'll throw in a vote for SMO or someplace north up the coast simply so I can give Brian his first taste of crossing LAX. I've also been wanting to get over to the museum there.

Dallas,

I will need about 35 minutes or so to drive up to CRQ, so we will need to plan the departure time accordingly, if CRQ is where you plan to fly out of.

-Brian

I'm crossing my fingers that I will have my plane at CRQ by then. PM'd you.

My current schedule looks like KSDM on 1/17 to give an EFB presentation, KPOC with the EAA 14 guys for the car-show/fly-in on 1/18, and then off to Nagoya Japan 1/24-30 for business, somewhere through this same time I will close on the Yak and wrap up transition training so I am probably out for January - once I am signed off on the Yak the game is on.

'Gimp

Ok it looks like everyone I've talked to is happy with SMO, and it's looking like sometime around noon will work for most of us. I've also gone ahead and spread the word with a few other pilots that aren't on here as well so hopefully we'll have a nice group!

I'm thinkin the early birds can entertain themselves on the bleachers and judge the rest of our landings (note to self, arrive early). We can then head over to the Spitfire Grill and grab some burgers. I also still haven't made it over to the museum there yet, so if anyone is interested in staying a bit longer and checking it out I'm game, assuming Brian doesn't mind.

Ok it looks like everyone I've talked to is happy with SMO, and it's looking like sometime around noon will work for most of us. I've also gone ahead and spread the word with a few other pilots that aren't on here as well so hopefully we'll have a nice group!

I'm thinkin the early birds can entertain themselves on the bleachers and judge the rest of our landings (note to self, arrive early). We can then head over to the Spitfire Grill and grab some burgers. I also still haven't made it over to the museum there yet, so if anyone is interested in staying a bit longer and checking it out I'm game, assuming Brian doesn't mind.

Sounds good to me. I love museums, and a museum of planes? Ummm yes please!

I'll text ya when I get home Sunday morning Dallas. What time were you thinking of taking off from CRQ?

-Brian

It takes a little under an hour to get to SMO, so anytime before 11 should be fine.

Weather permitting I will be there.
It is not unusual for the fog to linger at SMX and along the coast.
It is a red Cavalon gyroplane N509QB.
I am unfamiliar with SMO so I hope you will find me.

Attachments

• CCBAS 549.JPG
    CCBAS 549.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 8
Just ask for transient parking. It's in front of the patio where we'll be judging landings. Left side of the runway abeam the touchdown point.

Last edited:
Just ask for transient parking. It's in front of the patio where we'll be judging landings.

Oh, good thing I am flying with you then. My landings won't be judged! :-D hahah

Did you get your plane back to Cali???????

-Brian

Back