PoA is moving to SSL (feedback thread)

Windows 7, IE 11.

Ron Wanttaja

OK, I see what's happening now. I will let you know that I'm not sure I'll fix it. There is something that we've put in place to protect some of our users from possible (though, admittedly unlikely) attack. The problem that I have lowering the guard to fix it is that it's probably only happening because you're on Windows 7 (which is a 6 year old operating system). Barring more widespread reports from users, I might just ask you to use Firefox (or Chrome) for now on that computer...which I would probably do anyway on Windows 7.

The technical details for the geeks...
I'm adding this header server side...
Code:
add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;
http://stackoverflow.com/a/37201425

What I never realized until now is that my avatar (which is very very old) is actually a gif that had a .jpg extension when I downloaded it. Adding that header disallows browsers from fixing it even though they see it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-06-10 17.10.59.png
    Screenshot 2016-06-10 17.10.59.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 5
Jason, could you please not ban Win7 or other artificially "obsolete" OSes from PoA just yet? Us folks who did not fall for the whole WinX scam would like to keep visiting if we could. Thank you! :)

Thanks, Jason. All my "real" POA browsing is done with Firefox, and there's no issues there.

Ron Wanttaja

@jason

One thing that's weird here. And it seems to do it on all my platforms (phone, ipad, laptop). Is that when I manually cut and paste something, sometimes it doesn't let me move it.

For example: "
Jason, could you please not ban Win7 or other artificially "obsolete" OSes from PoA just yet?"

I pasted that right after the first quotation mark but yet the forum entered a "return". When I place my cursor in front of "Jason" and hit the backspace button, nothing happens. When I put my cursor immediately after the first quotation mark and hit the delete button, nothing happens. I have to manually type in the sentence if I want to eliminate the "return" because I can't figure out how to eliminate it.

And BTW...what's this about banning Win7? Win7 is now legacy? I'm doomed. :(:rolleyes:

Jason, could you please not ban Win7 or other artificially "obsolete" OSes from PoA just yet? Us folks who did not fall for the whole WinX scam would like to keep visiting if we could. Thank you! :)

In general, the industry doesn't work like that. I doubt the PoA tech folks would ever "ban" any particular browser.

The problem lies in not supporting them forever. And in tech terms, six years out of date really is "forever".

Like it or not, Win 10 isn't a "scam", it's just a larger picture issue the whole industry has: Most software is moving toward being rental software. Microsoft and others don't want the costs associated with supporting old versions of things, whether right or wrong. Doesn't matter. They aren't going to do it for any longer than required by law.

If older versions of MSIE misbehave as time marches on, there's not too many tech folks who'll be very motivated to spend unpaid time figuring it out. Their paid time during the day is all consumed by figuring out the problems in the up to date browsers. Rewinding the brain to six year old problems isn't particularly fun for a hobby "job".

Sometimes it's something easy. Sometimes it would take hours and hours to come up with a solution.

We had to use a feature only available in Win 10 at work, so the migration in the office environment has begun. This is in stark contrast to Win 8, which we skipped entirely. Not enough benefit. I think you'll see a lot more adoption of Win 10, and Microsoft is of course, pushing it hard this time. But we actually agree at our office that it was the right move for our Windows users. We've been converted over for a few weeks and the problems and complaints are minimal. Mostly UI and cosmetic. Technically, it's pretty sound.

Might ask add that it's leapfrogged Apple very badly on the enterprise support/ control front. It's a total PITA to manage Macs in an enterprise environment without expensive third party software. It's an afterthought by Apple, and a built in by Microsoft. That's embarrassing for Apple, considering they've been on essentially the same platform of OS core for a very long time, and they continually ignore this.

And BTW...what's this about banning Win7? Win7 is now legacy? I'm doomed. :(:rolleyes:

:rofl:
Ha. We're not "banning" anything. A small percentage of avatars don't display for a small subset of users using a six year old operating system. The truth is that as the internet marches forward users of older operating systems will become less secure and their experience on the internet will become more degraded. We'll do our best to strike a balance between security and usability.

:rofl:
Ha. We're not "banning" anything. A small percentage of avatars don't display for a small subset of users using a six year old operating system. The truth is that as the internet marches forward users of older operating systems will become less secure and their experience on the internet will become more degraded. We'll do our best to strike a balance between security and usability.

Oh no worries, their experience on the internet is degraded every day by bloatware Javascript libraries via every browser, every day -- a browser being the worst possible thing to build a UI in, that's ever been created. :)

Back