PoA Glide-a-Thon!

Unfortunately, I should be scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef about then :(

Wow... Only on an aviation board will you find the word "Unfortunately" and a sad face along with the phrase "scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef." :rofl:

How does the weight thing work out for Grant, Kent, me, and the other "big build" guys in this new glider?

Troy, if it's "better" than the Blanik as Tony states, you shouldn't have a problem. Have you seen the Pilotcast video I made of the glider in October? (I think it's under "November" on the web site...)

Are you coming up? :yes: :yes: :yes:

Room reserved, and looking forward to some great flights! Unless, of course, Chris offers to pay for me to go diving with him! LOL!

awesome grant, cant wait to see you there.

Sooooo the long and short of it is that we wont be flying in club Gliders for the Glide a thon.

Tony, it sounds like you've got a good deal going, with a cheaper price. You and I both know about surviving on CFI pay, so I appreciate your (and Matt's) efforts to get us more for our money. Whatever the price, it'll be worth it to me to have a neat experience. My only worry is that I will get hooked and find myself desperate to pursue a glider add-on. ;)

I'm really looking forward to it all. BTW that picture of the Lark is really cool. B)

Last edited:
Yeah, thinking about it. Have family in St. Joseph, MO so a stop at KSTJ might be in the cards.

Fantastic!!!

Tony, it sounds like you've got a good deal going, with a cheaper price. You and I both know about surviving on CFI pay, so I appreciate your (and Mark's) efforts to get us more for our money. Whatever the price, it'll be worth it to me to have a neat experience. My only worry is that I will get hooked and find myself desperate to pursue a glider add-on. ;)

I'm really looking forward to it all. BTW that picture of the Lark is really cool. B)

roger on the CFI pay. It's Matt, not Mark, but I doubt he will be offended, he has probably been called worse ;) How do you think I got desperate to pursue a glider add on? :D

Yea the Lark is a pretty sweet looking glider. Thats another bonus, it actually looks like a "real" glider. It has the lines of a modern fiberglass ship. I'll probably have my old single seater out to show you what the old stuff looks like.

Blah! Oops! I knew that, now where did I get Mark from? I was brain-dead. Sorry Matt! I was making too many posts too fast!

No problem. It's amazing how often I'm called Mark. I think it's a common wiring glitch in the human brain, Matt/Mark... Actually, I answer equally to Matt, Mark, Mike, Mack, and Man. Somebody actually thought my name was Man once. After an introduction he shook my hand and said, "nice to meet you Man".

Mic Matheson

No problem. It's amazing how often I'm called Mark. I think it's a common wiring glitch in the human brain, Matt/Mark... Actually, I answer equally to Matt, Mark, Mike, Mack, and Man.
You probably aren't called Mark any more often than I'm called Greg, especially on this board! It's alright, though, cause I feel the love! :) I too think it's a wiring thing and you can call me anything you want, except late to dinner. :rofl:

(Okay, I've really opened myself up for it now, haven't I!?! :hairraise::rofl:

Matt & Grant, I know what you mean. I've been called "Kim" many times, somehow.

I too think it's a wiring thing and you can call me anything you want...

When I meet you guys at the Glide-A-Thon, I'll just have to say, "Hey, W-B-Yonder! How ya doing, G-Prellwitz? I'm Skyflyer, nice to meet you." Then I'll get it straight. :)

Hey guys, anyone coming up from near Kansas City?

I'm in St. Joseph MO, KSTJ, and could use a ride. I can help out with fuel costs.

Tony,

If I'm able to come to Ames, I probably will only be flying in for a day (not spending the night) with my wife, my sister-in-law, and her son.

When do the "festivities" (flights) get started on Saturday? If I'm able to go, I'll fly up to KC (Rosecrans Memorial) in the G1000 C172 on Thursday or Friday, then Saturday AM we'll make the 1.3 hour run to Ames, play for the day, then fly back to KSTJ (returning to Dallas Sunday, weather permitting).

If my sis-in-law, her boy, or my wife want rides, is that okay?

What's the ride cost going to be, has that been finalized?

I might be interested in 'more than a ride' (first lesson?) if there's time... then I need to get down to Dave T's airport in Marfa and finish up.

Tony,

If I'm able to come to Ames, I probably will only be flying in for a day (not spending the night) with my wife, my sister-in-law, and her son.

When do the "festivities" (flights) get started on Saturday? If I'm able to go, I'll fly up to KC (Rosecrans Memorial) in the G1000 C172 on Thursday or Friday, then Saturday AM we'll make the 1.3 hour run to Ames, play for the day, then fly back to KSTJ (returning to Dallas Sunday, weather permitting).

I suspect flights will probably start around 9 or 10 AM. If you need earlier though, we can get moving sooner.
If my sis-in-law, her boy, or my wife want rides, is that okay?
Absolutely, we will turn away no one.
What's the ride cost going to be, has that been finalized?
The only cost will be the cost of the tow, which will probably be around 30 dollars a flight. However the glider will not have commercial insurance so we will probably only charge 15 a flight. I suspect there will also be a bucket sitting around the hangar somewhere for donations towards other expenses Matt and I incur for the weekend (cough cough)
I might be interested in 'more than a ride' (first lesson?) if there's time... then I need to get down to Dave T's airport in Marfa and finish up.
Basically what we are calling "rides" are what you will consider a first lesson. Check out the video that Kent put up on the Pilotcast site. That is Matt instructing Kent and we will be doing similar flight profiles. Only difference is I suspect we will take higher tows and will definitely be in a higher performance glider. This means more time in the air for you. And Matt and I will both highly highly highly recommend Marfa Gliders for you to get your rating. Burt will make you work. Burt may make you hate Burt. But then you will love Burt for making you good. I did my commercial add on over spring break 3 years ago and it was the most intense training I have ever done, but I felt good after it was over! Im sure youve seen it but Burts website is www.flygliders.com Did I mention that Matt and I would highly recommend you go to Burt? :D

I'll also add that my wife is planning on being around the day of the Glide-a-Thon (we live in Boone which is ~5miles west of Ames). So if any wives or 'significant others' are planning or would like to attend, she will be around to run folks to the mall or whatnot if they're not into the whole "sit around the airport all day" kind of thing. ;)

I'll also add that my wife is planning on being around the day of the Glide-a-Thon (we live in Boone which is ~5miles west of Ames). So if any wives or 'significant others' are planning or would like to attend, she will be around to run folks to the mall or whatnot if they're not into the whole "sit around the airport all day" kind of thing. ;)

Hey Tristan..Do you want to fly gliders or go to the mall and look at shoes?

Hey Leslie, same question to you! :)

(Shame on you, Chris! :rofl:)

Hey.. Not everyone is blessed with airplane loving wives. My wife can handle it as long as stuff is going on, but just sitting around waiting won't cut it. Just thought I'd make the offer (she has given me the OK to make the offer) in case it would help open the door for others to 'justify' coming up here. ;)

Awesome thats great Chris. Tell Rachel thanks and I hope she gets some takers.

Awesome thats great Chris. Tell Rachel thanks and I hope she gets some takers.

If nobody jumps on the "go to the mall" bandwagon, she'll at least be there to enjoy the sights. :D

you betcha man. we'll get you two into real flying and next thing you know you'll get rid of the RV and buy a Grob or ASK-21 or some other 2 seat glider :D

So Tony, tell me why the nice lady at Microtel told me that the 24-hr cancellation policy didn't apply to weather related cancellations. You're not planning on snow/ice that weekend, are you? :eek:

Kaye

Heck no, Im hoping that itll be all gone by then. Otherwise itll be dang cold!

They say in like a Lion, out like a Lamb. Winter storm starts tonight, so the way I figure we will have beautiful skies with strong thermals.

So Tony, tell me why the nice lady at Microtel told me that the 24-hr cancellation policy didn't apply to weather related cancellations. You're not planning on snow/ice that weekend, are you? :eek:

Kaye

???! How can they do that? If you cancel due to weather, more than 24 hours in advance, tell them it's because you (something else other than weather).

A 24 hour cancellation policy should be just that--why should they care if it was for one reason over another??

???! How can they do that? If you cancel due to weather, more than 24 hours in advance, tell them it's because you (something else other than weather).

A 24 hour cancellation policy should be just that--why should they care if it was for one reason over another??

thats what Im wondering Troy.

So when the weather is 0/0 for the weekend the Microtel is going to be scratching their head saying "jeez its lousy weather and this group called "Pilots of America" all cancelled their reservations..."

Then I get a nasty phone call probably. Oh well...

No no no, that's not what she was implying. She said 24 hr cancellation policy, which I said okay. Then she said if wx related (at first I thought she understood I was a pilot, but then realized otherwise), as in if I didn't show up because of snow up the yingyang, I wouldn't be charged for the room. She was very chatty, and said that there could be nasty winter storms the 1st of April.

No no no, that's not what she was implying. She said 24 hr cancellation policy, which I said okay. Then she said if wx related (at first I thought she understood I was a pilot, but then realized otherwise), as in if I didn't show up because of snow up the yingyang, I wouldn't be charged for the room. She was very chatty, and said that there could be nasty winter storms the 1st of April.

Ah!! That makes more sense. And I suspect it makes Tony feel better too! :)

well yes I guess it does. I suppose winter storms are possible any time of the year in this crazy weather sink hole we call Iowa.

Man I wish I could make this but alas:

1) I have a conference in Hershey PA
2) You can't get to Ames via Comm airlines from anywhere east of Chicago.

No flights to DSM Adam?

Man I wish I could make this but alas:

1) I have a conference in Hershey PA
2) You can't get to Ames via Comm airlines from anywhere east of Chicago.

OK Adam I just checked Orbitz and you can get from Philly to Des Moines Friday and Back Sunday for 255 round trip. We'll come pick you up in Des Moines, its only like a 30 minute drive. Cancel your Conference, come have fun. :)

We'll come pick you up in Des Moines, its only like a 30 minute drive. Cancel your Conference, come have fun.

Better yet. I'll come pick you up with an airplane. It's only about a 12 minute flight and is a very GA friendly airport.

sup tony its paxton!

me and stodes plan on coming

ah excellent Nick, Ill put you two on the list.

I just found a great picture of the Lark in flight over the Ames airport, have to share it with you all. It really is a sweet glider. Can't wait to see everyone there!

Attachments

• n16919996_30115511_8990.jpg
    n16919996_30115511_8990.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 21
Back