PoA Glide-a-Thon!

We'll all be doing dinner at Tony's dad's pizza place, right? So we won't be at the motel for long. The Microtel looks pretty good. Who else would be overnighting?

pizza could be done at dad's place. That would involve ~ 2 hr flight round trip to KEST and back. Other likely overnighters, off the top of my head, are:

Chip
Kent/Kate
Kaye
Jesse/Tristan (probably crashing at my apartment though)
Ben/Bill

pizza could be done at dad's place. That would involve ~ 2 hr flight round trip to KEST and back. Other likely overnighters, off the top of my head, are:

Chip
Kent/Kate
Kaye
Jesse/Tristan (probably crashing at my apartment though)
Ben/Bill

So Tony, how big's the apartment. :D

We could--but keep in mind that's a 90 nm flight.

We should stay in Ames but have Tony get a bunch of Pizza's from this Dads. We could have a massive pizza dinner at the airport or my place.

MM

So Tony, how big's the apartment. :D

apartment has two couches. one is a hide a bed. kent and jesse can comment on the comfort factor.

Im going to try to call the Microtel tomorrow and see if we can get a group discount for a block of rooms.

Ok, need a little feedback from all you potential gliders. How much is too much? when it comes to cost for an introductory glider lesson. Club Prez is checking in on how we can bill it out, I made it clear that I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible. But I need a rough cap, so that if it comes in higher than that, Matt and I will explore other avenues to get you flying silently. Thanks!

And a Hotel update should come tomorrow!

OK, we got a hotel lined up. The Microtel Inn in Ames is holding 10 rooms until March 10th. They are Queen doubles, non smoking at 65 bucks. Check in on March 31, out on April 1. "Pilots of America" is the name of the group, so tell them you want in on that block when you make reservations. The number to the hotel is (515)-233-4444

Get em booked early, after March 10, any unbooked rooms disappear.

Wow.. Just went back and read through the whole thread -- looks like it'll be a pretty good turnout for the weekend!

Goodonya Tony for getting this together! With any luck, we'll have at least the majority of the snow gone by then. Looking forward to meeting even more PoA'ers!

OK, here's the lowdown. My original idea was that you all would have to become "day members" at a small fee and then pay regular clubmember rates for the tows and gliders. But after discussing this with our club president and insurance company, apparently this approach opens the club up to serious liability, which we dont want of course. The alternative to all this is that each of you do what we call a "FAST" ride. thats an acronym for Fly A Sailplane Today. Its a program through the SSA and more info is on their website. http://www.ssa.org/FAST.asp The long and short of it is that the ride will cost you 99 bucks. You will not need to run it through the SSA as described on the website, you will pay through the club. With your 99 bucks you will get an intro flight lesson, the Glider Flight Handbook (a good book), glider pilot logbook, and a 3 month membership in the SSA, complete with Soaring magazine.

I havent gotten back to the club president yet with a yea or nay. I need to know from you folks if this sounds reasonable. If not, Matt and I will try to find another glider/towplane combination or some other arrangement we can make with the club.

Let me know how you folks feel about this. Obviously we need to be covered for insurance. But I want this to be enjoyable and most importantly AFFORDABLE since I believe thats what soaring is all about. Sometimes I think Im the only one who thinks that way but what the heck.

Did I mention that you should reply to this thread with your feelings on the matter? thanks!

thanks grant. I dont want this to turn into a "well i'll give you 100 bucks, i guess, if i have to" If you feel that is too much for a intro glider flight, let me know and we will work on alternatives.

Well I think the $99 FAST deal stinks. I will be looking in to another arrangement. If these fine folks are going to make the trip to fly with us I want to be able to give them more bang for the buck. Stand by.

MM

Well I think the $99 FAST deal stinks. I will be looking in to another arrangement. If these fine folks are going to make the trip to fly with us I want to be able to give them more bang for the buck. Stand by.

MM
Matt,

thats kinda the way my cheap butt is thinking. I know I dont have a hundered bucks laying around for an intro ride in anything. If I woulda had to pay 100 bucks for my first glider ride, i probably wouldve written it off as way too expensive.

Folks, keep checking back for rapid fire updates. Ill talk to el presidente tomorrow as well as Matt and try to get something finalized. Obviously we want this to be great fun for all of you, not a thousand dollar weekend.

Matt,

thats kinda the way my cheap butt is thinking.

It has nothing to do with being cheap. It's about being reasonable. $100 bucks should get you close to three rides with an instructor. Some may want that. Others not.

I have inquires in on a Lark, Grob, and another Blanik. If we can't put this together at Ames we'll all meet in Farabault instead and fly Dons Grobs. Heck, it isn't going to matter to most people if they come to Farabault or Ames. We'd have a ball at Dons.

See www.crosscountrysoaring.com

MM

thanks matt, we'll see what club says tomorrow.

thanks Chip. I'll also check into how this all affects you getting your commercial glider add on in March. If we have to outsource for that, I think Matt and I will be willing.

Actually, I guess I should check on W&B before I head out. I weigh in at about 250# clothed (the way you want me! :)). Doable?

$100 isn't a deal breaker for me but it is expensive and is money towards things I'm not interested in. I'd much rather put $100 into actual gliding.

If you guys can come up with something more reasonable cool, If not I'll be there anyways...

The glider club that I've flown with has a different arrangement for insurance purposes. You pay $50 to become a temporary member for 1 month, and then pay the standard tow and plane fees. That way you have a month to see if you're really interested.

Anyway, I'll throw the 100 bucks atcha,:D , but fewer $$$ are always better.:yes:

Kaye

Actually, I guess I should check on W&B before I head out. I weigh in at about 250# clothed (the way you want me! :)). Doable?

Should be Grant. We can either put you in the back seat of the Blanik or pull the ugly ole 2-22 out. Its big.

The glider club that I've flown with has a different arrangement for insurance purposes. You pay $50 to become a temporary member for 1 month, and then pay the standard tow and plane fees. That way you have a month to see if you're really interested.

Anyway, I'll throw the 100 bucks atcha,:D , but fewer $$$ are always better.:yes:

Kaye

Yea Kaye, our club has something similar, a "day membership" which I originally thought we would use. Apparently the insurance company has run into problems with people doing that, wrecking stuff, and then running off claiming they arent members of the club and sticking them with the bill. I still dont understand why as long as the CFIG is covered on the insurance we cant give rides to non club and non SSA members but I guess that is the way it works with the group policy we are in. Anyway, I got class 10-12 then I'll try to get some answers.

Yea Kaye, our club has something similar, a "day membership" which I originally thought we would use. Apparently the insurance company has run into problems with people doing that, wrecking stuff, and then running off claiming they arent members of the club and sticking them with the bill. I still dont understand why as long as the CFIG is covered on the insurance we cant give rides to non club and non SSA members but I guess that is the way it works with the group policy we are in. Anyway, I got class 10-12 then I'll try to get some answers.

So has your Ins. Co. discontinued the "daily member" policy, or do they have it and just say "yeah... we're not really gonna honor that policy anymore, but you can continue to pay for its features." *sigh*.. Ins. Co. = FUBAR.

I'll still come up tony but I can't afford $100 in a glider. Thats a full lesson at my college that I could use towards my degree. I don't mean to sound cheap but when you compare an intro glider flight to a flight with an instructor in a 172R for the same price, which would you choose? You guys dont do something like those $49 intro flights they always advertise?

So has your Ins. Co. discontinued the "daily member" policy, or do they have it and just say "yeah... we're not really gonna honor that policy anymore, but you can continue to pay for its features." *sigh*.. Ins. Co. = FUBAR.

Basically, yes, the insurance company has said that we assume an extreme risk by doing daily memberships. Once I get everything clear I'm considering a letter to the national Soaring magazine describing how the SSA group policy is killing off interest in new glider pilots.

I'll still come up tony but I can't afford $100 in a glider. Thats a full lesson at my college that I could use towards my degree. I don't mean to sound cheap but when you compare an intro glider flight to a flight with an instructor in a 172R for the same price, which would you choose? You guys dont do something like those $49 intro flights they always advertise?

I totally understand Tristan. This is pretty much the way I feel. There seems to be a shift in the club leadership lately. They somehow think that everyone who comes to the field is made of money. Sounds like a great way to squash interest, to me.

Stand by folks, more news coming later today.

The Glide-a-thon sounds like a great time Tony. We appreciate you guys working on it.

It's just really unfortunate that the insurance companies and legal system seem have more and more influence on the decisions we make. If you can get it worked out and my schedule allows, I'll be there.

The Glide-a-thon sounds like a great time Tony. We appreciate you guys working on it.

It's just really unfortunate that the insurance companies and legal system seem have more and more influence on the decisions we make. If you can get it worked out and my schedule allows, I'll be there.

We will definitely get it worked out Chip. If we cant do it in club gliders, then we will find other two seaters in the area that we can use.

I agree with your feelings about insurance companies. They drive me nuts at the FBO too.

OK, confirmed with club president. Basically, If we were to allow a non-club/SSA member to be on the controls, and were involved in an insurance claim due to that, the insurance company would cover us. And then they would drop our coverage like a bad habit. They told the prez to never mention the word "Day Membership" again in their presence, and that they had been burned before on that and would drop coverage if Day memberships were a possibility. Sooooo the long and short of it is that we wont be flying in club Gliders for the Glide a thon. That's not actually a bad thing though. Matt has arranged for his old IS28-B2 "Lark" to be available for the weekend. Its built by IAR, and is a basically a tank, like Steve's IAR, except it doesnt have hard points. Its glide ratio is in the mid 30's, it sports negative flaps for high speed runs, and has a spacious cockpit. We will still be able to get tows from the club towplane.

I really like this arrangement. First, you will save a ton of money. Club tow rates are 1 dollar for every hundred feet above ground. For these flights we will probably go to 3000 feet to give you all plenty of time to see what towing is like, plus to get more time off tow. That'll cost you a mere 30 bucks. For those of you who were willing to pay 100 before, take a few extra rides, or you can just give me the extra 70! :D BTW thats another advantage, we will have the glider all to ourselves, so we wont have to share if someone else from the club shows up. Of course the club still makes the money off the tows so thats good for them. Attached is a picture of the Lark taken south of the Ames airport.

One thing I want all you potential glider pilots to do. Go through the wingrunner course on the Soaring Safety Foundations website. http://www.soaringsafety.org/school/wingrunner/toc.htm
We will need everyones help to make sure that things go smoothly the 31st. Matt and I will likely be flying all day, leaving you all standing around next to the runway. Find aerial photos of AMW and you can see that we have 2 runways with parallel taxiways. Hold short lines need to be respected and car traffic on taxiways must be limited. We also are under some pressure to minimize time on the runway. Matt and I are usually very good about this. I envision that we will have some sort of morning briefing to make sure everyone is on the same page as far as how the operation will go. We want to make it fun and safe for everyone, including transient piston/jet traffic.

Dont forget to get hotel rooms reserved, see a couple posts above here. Im getting excited folks, can't wait to see you all on the 31st!

Attachments

• Lark%20m1.jpg
    Lark%20m1.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 19
YEEEHAW! That looks like a hoot! :yes: Heck, if all of the 'out-of-towners' get their rides taken care of, I might take a spot and head up for some silent flight. :) Of course, that's contingent on Kent and I having the brats under control. ;)

I'll have my pickup there for some 'mass-transit' redneck style across the airport when necessary. We're looking at low 40's next week, so that should start moving all this darn snow out of the way and make way for an early spring. :D

Looking forward to it already!

YEEEHAW! That looks like a hoot! :yes: Heck, if all of the 'out-of-towners' get their rides taken care of, I might take a spot and head up for some silent flight. :) Of course, that's contingent on Kent and I having the brats under control. ;)
absolutely, glider rides are for everyone, even locals.

I'll have my pickup there for some 'mass-transit' redneck style across the airport when necessary. We're looking at low 40's next week, so that should start moving all this darn snow out of the way and make way for an early spring. :D

Looking forward to it already!

i cant wait for black dirt to be showing either. hoping for some good early spring thermals to get me in top shape for the contest.

I've got the DA-20 for the weekend and will be flying down Friday night after work.

Anyone interested in flying a Diamond can have their chance.

Troy,
Should be no problem, in fact, less of a problem, with the Lark.

Are you thinking about coming up?

OK, we got a hotel lined up. The Microtel Inn in Ames is holding 10 rooms until March 10th. They are Queen doubles, non smoking at 65 bucks. Check in on March 31, out on April 1. "Pilots of America" is the name of the group, so tell them you want in on that block when you make reservations. The number to the hotel is (515)-233-4444

Get em booked early, after March 10, any unbooked rooms disappear.
Hint: Call during the day. The night people don't know anything about this.

And Troy, show up!

OK, we got a hotel lined up. The Microtel Inn in Ames is holding 10 rooms until March 10th. They are Queen doubles, non smoking at 65 bucks.
It only makes sense you picked "Queens Doubles" for you and Jesse. :D

It only makes sense you picked "Queens Doubles" for you and Jesse. :D

I just found a picture of Kenny!

kenny_dress.jpg

Kenny dont deny it. We have photographic evidence of your exploits! What is Ma Bell anyways?

And now back to our regular scheduled gliding stuff...

$100 for a glider trial flight? That is insane! What is SSA thinking? The average intro flight that hits no lift (pretty typical) will be about 15 minutes. They're charging $400/hr. I'd rather be getting multi time or flying a helicopter for that kind of cash. One of the great draws of gliding is that it's more affordable than power flying. You don't find out it's also cooler until you're already hooked. Of course, the secret is that it's actually more expensive than power when you're learning, but it's a lot cheaper after that.

I am absolutely baffled that your club can't do trial flights. That is the death of a club. I really don't understand this. Our club did trial flights for the cost of the tow as long as the person was genuinely interested. So where does the insurance company get off restricting your Part 61 right to carry passengers? Isn't that what a trial flight is? As long as the PIC of the flight is a club member, who cares if they're carrying another club member or goat in a tutu? Gliders are cheap, fly in good conditions only, do little damage when they hit things, and move slowly enough that people tend to walk away from accidents. I don't see them as a big insurance risk compared to powered aircraft. Why the draconian restrictions?

Wish I could join you guys. Unfortunately, I should be scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef about then :(

Chris

Back