POA Caribbean Adventure Caravan

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by TangoWhiskey, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    Provo is a dump anyway, no great loss not stopping there.

2. TangoWhiskey

TangoWhiskey Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    Thanks, Grant!! :yes:

3. gprellwitz

gprellwitz Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    Ugh! From Jim Parker...

4. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Hmmm. The Mooney's got one, but none of the club planes have one yet.

5. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    I don't think any of our planes have one yet, but I left a message with the president to find out for sure. Since it's about 656NM from FXE to the Dominican Republic, it's approaching the range of the plane, and we'd be hosed if MDPP didn't have fuel for some reason. I don't like being over water like that without a bunch of alternatives. We could stop in Provo for fuel, cutting off 150NM, but then you're dealing with those ridiculous fees.
    :mad:

Maybe we'll just skip the Caribbean trip and go to Bozeman in July for the 99's conference!

6. Ted DuPuis

Ted DuPuis Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    #bandozer
    Somehow, I just noticed this thread.

We're in the "definite maybe" category. But I'm not going to put us on the list until it gets closer. Seriously doubt we'd be able to do the full two weeks, but maybe a week or so.

7. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    Yeah, the 406 ELT thing may end up being a deal killer for some... or, motivate them to get one! :) Appreciate the continued intel, Grant!

8. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    That may motivate plane owners. Renters? Not so much so!:mad:

9. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I'm pretty sure, judging by the bank account and the timeline, that we're moving from "maybe" to "no". Just keeping appropriate updates going here. :(

10. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    I'm not Positive we'll be able to go either... May just end up flying commercial to St. Martin, which is the end goal for our journey anyway. No final decisions yet, though...

11. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    Well, at least the 406 issue is no more. Good news:

12. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    I'm still trying to find a friend to go with me. I'll probably fly straight to the Bahamas and make sure the beverages are cold for when the rest of the caravan arrives.

13. CT Arrow

CT Arrow Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Adios!
    I realize I am coming in the tail end of the thread but a friend and I have discussed doing a trip to the Bahamas. Looking for two more?
    It may very well coincide w/ SNF dates but there is flexibility. What is your itinerary and official date?

Day #1- Fly from CT and overnight in Ft. Lauderdale. Grab raft and safety gear
    Day #2- Depart Ft. Lauderdale D> Bahamas. Still working on Islands and accomdations & open for suggestions.
    Day #3, 4 & 5 Hang in Bahamas. Plan on diving and bringing gear
    Day #6- Depart Bahamas back to FL, clear customs and work our way back up the East Coast.

14. Dave Theisen

Dave Theisen En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Theisen
    I'll be your friend! :)

15. DavidWhite

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    If I don't find anyone you can go with me. My current plan is to get to Freeport April 1st and then leave the Bahamas on the 6th and fly back home.

16. Dave Theisen

Dave Theisen En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Theisen
    No thanks, I'd want to be PIC. :)

Seriously, thanks, but if I went to the Bahamas without them, I'm afraid my wife and daughter wouldn't be here when I got home. I plan on taking them out there over the summer.

17. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    You gonna go any farther? I won't be able to make the whole caravan, but I'd like to do part of it.

18. Henning

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    I don't get the resistance to having a 406 device. IMO if you don't have one you should not expect an SAR effort.

19. DavidWhite

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    Probably not. I'll go down to Nassau for a few (maybe three?) nights. SnF is the following week so I probably won't even fly all the way back to Texas.

20. DavidWhite

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    I bought a waterproof 406PLB at Oshkosh this year for this trip. I'm also gonna get one of those nice inflatable life vests I can wear in the plane while I'm over the water.

21. DavidWhite

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    My annual on the Mooney is in February and I will probably upgrade to a 406 ELT too.

22. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    I haven't seen any resistance at all to having a 406 device, in fact I have 2 of them (Personal Locator Beacons). However, none of the rentals I have access to have 406 ELTs installed, and I have no control over getting them installed. Plus, an installed 406 is going to go down with the plane to the bottom, and won't be very effective down there. A PLB, OTOH, will be with me. I'm the one that I want rescued, not the plane. The insurance company can worry about finding and rescuing it!

23. Henning

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    Do NOT get the Auto-inflate one, Manual inflation only. You don't want the hydrostatic Release tripping it while still in the plane. However, if you can find a good deal on cheapie auto inflator vests you can build a cheap life raft out of the whole airplane by tossing in a couple cases.

24. Henning

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    Might as well, anything your survival can rely on is well to be redundant, having one being auto deploy is a plus.

25. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    Folks, can I get a quick show of hands of those that are greater than 75% sure they'd want to do this trip? Again, it's pretty free form for the participants--I'm not planning any joint adventures, housing, stops, itinerary, meals... that's all for individual participants to coordinate. If you want to just do the Bahamas for 3 days, great... if you want to take two weeks and go slow through the islands, or bee-line to the BVI's and spend all your time there, great. The idea of this trip is to cross off a bucket item list, and be in the same area at the same general time frame.

If individuals post their itineraries and share their contact information with each other, they can plan to meet up as desired.

Right now, I'm simply trying to get a list together of those that are fairly certain they'd want to go.

As far as Teresa and I, our current plan is to fly commercially to Tampa on March 29th, get checked out in the T182 at Atlas Aviation (http://www.atlasaviationinc.com), then depending on weather head out Saturday or Sunday 3/30 or 3/31 for the Bahamas before continuing down to St. Martin. I have the plane booked through Sunday April 14th. Sun 'N Fun runs April 9th-14th, not a chance coincidence... we'd have the option to attend if we wanted or needed to head back to FL early due to weather or whatever. Flying the Keys would be fun, too.... very fluid plans.

While I won't be doing planning for others, I'll be compiling a list of links and useful resources, the "must do" items (eAPIS, C&BP stuff, etc.), and we can continue to share nuggets of stuff we learn (such as what Grant has shared above).

If you have room to take another person and want to ride share/share costs, say so! Maybe somebody can fly to Florida and join you on the adventure.

26. DavidWhite

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    Can't believe this trip is only 4 months away! I'm getting pretty excited. My itinerary has a lot of wiggle room but I think my final destination is going to be Atlantis in Nassau. I do have an extra seat. I think it might be filled (unfortunately not with a smokin' hot CFI) but a really good friend. We'll be able to find plenty of floozies down there.

27. CT Arrow

CT Arrow Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Adios!
    I have training that I need to attend in FL the week before SNF. While that works out great to go to SNF, Bahamas is out for me! Have fun!

28. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    That's great, David! The Mooney needs to meet the Caribbean!

29. Tony_Scarpelli

Tony_Scarpelli Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tony_Scarpelli
    I did a Caribbean Adventure about 4 years ago. I got about 7 guys from red boards to go. We all met in Key West went out the first night and continued over Cuba to Grand Cayman Islands the following morning. It was pretty organized and terrific.

I think hotels averaged about $175 per night with our group discount, the taxes at the airport were about $40 ea. (I hear the Bahamas is $120 ea person not ea plane).

So plan your fuel: hotel: meals: airport departure taxes which could add up in a multi stop tour.

Someone should call and confirm the airport taxes, available fuel; fuel prices, negotiate a hotel rate ahead of time.

The Grand Cayman's Chamber hosted a Rum Punch reception for us as we arrived at the airport.

I looked into renting an Arrow from Tamiami and no one would consider as their insurance wouldn't allow it since we were leaving the country. So they said. I ended up flying my Comanche from Wichita which added 3500 nm round trip to the ordeal and expense.

Anyone wanting to make most or part of the trip tax deductible can contact the Bahamas/Haties habitat for mankind and possibly drop off supplies from the FT Lauderdale to Bahamas or to Haties on the way down.

30. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    I'm in. I was already planning on being in FL for a couple of weeks at the beginning of April for vacation/trade show/SnF so it works quite well.

31. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    The information above wasn't matching what I was seeing at the Provo FBO's website, on their fees page. So I wrote them, with the scenario above, and received the following reply and updated fees for the Provo airport for GA aircraft under 6000#:

32. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    Well, I think the IRS has determined by proxy that I am out this year. Dammit.

33. gprellwitz

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    We're still thinking about it. We also have a trip to Bozeman MT that we want to do. We're now thinking about flying commercial to each of these and then renting a plane when we get there.

Troy, sorry to hear that! But does this mean that the T182 is available at Atlas? What were their checkout and international policies like? The rate is about 20% higher than we pay for the Bo ($165 for a trip like this, vs $199 for the T182), but it would save about 18 hours of flying, which would be a plus.

34. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    Grant, their T182 should be available. I haven't released the reservation yet, but if you want it, I can coordinate transfer. Checkout seemed simple--show up, fly with their instructor. International policy was liberal. I had negotiated a dry rate (to simplify cash / credit card international fuel purchases) and a daily 2 hour minimum.

35. TangoWhiskey

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    The 182T I had reserved through Atlas Aviation is now available if somebody wants it. I canceled my reservation.

Contact Kristy Bolingbrook (kristy@atlasaviationinc.com) to get a login to the scheduling site and work out details for the checkout and a dry rate / 2-hour daily minimums.

36. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    I'm definitely out, as I will be in the middle of recovery from being under the knife.

37. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    You ok?

Karen and I are still out for a multitude of reasons, almost too dumb to list. ;)

38. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    All right folks, we're getting closer - Let's get the list up to date!

POA Caribbean Adventure Caravan Participant List
    [TABLE][ROW][CELL]Who[/CELL][CELL]POA Username[/CELL][CELL]How Many?[/CELL][CELL]Any extra seats? (#)[/CELL][CELL]Aircraft type[/CELL][CELL]Confidence (High/Med/Low)[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Troy & Teresa W[/CELL][CELL]TangoWhiskey[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]1[/CELL][CELL]182[/CELL][CELL]High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Grant & Leslie P[/CELL][CELL]gprellwitz[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]1-2[/CELL][CELL]Bonanza?[/CELL][CELL]Med/High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Ben & Jen C[/CELL][CELL]EvilEagle[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]Bonanza 36[/CELL][CELL]Med/High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Kent & Kelsey[/CELL][CELL]flyingcheesehead[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]no[/CELL][CELL]M20R[/CELL][CELL]High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Template Row - Your name[/CELL][CELL]POA Username[/CELL][CELL]How Many[/CELL][CELL]Extra Seats?[/CELL][CELL]Aircraft Type[/CELL][CELL]Confidence (Low/Med/High/Done Deal)[/CELL][/ROW]
    [/TABLE]

How to add a row: To add your name to the list of those planning to fly on the POA Caribbean Grand Adventure Caravan, reply to this post, copy the entire template row, insert a copy of it just above the template row, and replace the placeholders with your information before saving your post. Please include your POA user name in the second cell.

Well, she's my fiancée now, and it turns out her spring break is the first week of April. After that, I have a trade show in Nassau from the 7th-10th, and Sun 'n' Fun is the 9th-14th! I don't think this could have been timed better! So, the current plan is to take the Mooney down and do all three, sending Kelsey home on a human mailing tube on the 7th so she can get back to work and I'll do the show and Sun 'n' Fun. :goofy:

39. DavidWhite

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    POA Caribbean Adventure Caravan Participant List
    [TABLE][ROW][CELL]Who[/CELL][CELL]POA Username[/CELL][CELL]How Many?[/CELL][CELL]Any extra seats? (#)[/CELL][CELL]Aircraft type[/CELL][CELL]Confidence (High/Med/Low)[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Troy & Teresa W[/CELL][CELL]TangoWhiskey[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]1[/CELL][CELL]182[/CELL][CELL]High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Grant & Leslie P[/CELL][CELL]gprellwitz[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]1-2[/CELL][CELL]Bonanza?[/CELL][CELL]Med/High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Ben & Jen C[/CELL][CELL]EvilEagle[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]Bonanza 36[/CELL][CELL]Med/High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Kent & Kelsey[/CELL][CELL]flyingcheesehead[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]no[/CELL][CELL]M20R[/CELL][CELL]High[/CELL][/ROW][ROW][CELL]Dave White[/CELL][CELL]David White[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]no[/CELL][CELL]M20P[/CELL][CELL]High[/CELL][/ROW][CELL]Template Row - Your name[/CELL][CELL]POA Username[/CELL][CELL]How Many[/CELL][CELL]Extra Seats?[/CELL][CELL]Aircraft Type[/CELL][CELL]Confidence (Low/Med/High/Done Deal)[/CELL][/ROW]
    [/TABLE]

40. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    What's the exact dates again?
    (Too lazy to read through)