POA Caribbean Adventure Caravan

Are you leaving the planet, Felix? This is going to be 2013, sorry. Need more time to plan and save for a trip of this scope!

Are you leaving the planet, Felix? This is going to be 2013, sorry. Need more time to plan and save for a trip of this scope!
Oh no!!!! Isn't 2013 1 1/2 years away? No way to do it in a year, ie. summer 2012? I understand if we can't do it then of course.

I'm sure a call to the Red Cross, a Blood bank or the local island's Health Ministry can ensure we don't visit someplace that still has an issue.

Dengue Fever is an issue everywhere down there, it's even in Florida again.

Sounds good to me, I'm *potentially* in. (never know when Uncle Sam will send me back to bad-guy land).

I picked up some literature on the destinations at AirVenture this year. Troy, did you get it too?

Not just Bahamas, but from Jim Parker at Carribean Adventures, from the Puerto Rico booth, the Dominican Republic booth, and the Cayman Islands booth.

In addition to the book that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I also subscribed to Jim Parker's Caribbean Flying Adventure website and found it useful. I e-mailed back and forth with Jim a few times on the specifics of my trip and he was able to offer some small changes that made things go more smoothly. He is a great resource for information on flying the islands.

Ryan

Not just Bahamas, but from Jim Parker at Carribean Adventures, from the Puerto Rico booth, the Dominican Republic booth, and the Cayman Islands booth.

In addition to the book that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I also subscribed to Jim Parker's Caribbean Flying Adventure website and found it useful. I e-mailed back and forth with Jim a few times on the specifics of my trip and he was able to offer some small changes that made things go more smoothly. He is a great resource for information on flying the islands.

Ryan

Great tips, guys. Thanks.

I'm starting to plan out our November trip down to the Bahamas. There's a discount of $200/$300 for a 3/4 night stay at a number of Bahamas locales that we like.

http://www.myoutislands.com/USA-private-pilots.cfm

Included are a number of locales that we've visited and enjoyed:
Treasure Cay http://www.myoutislands.com/bahamas-resorts/resorts.cfm/resort/Treasure-Cay-Hotel-Resort-Marina
Hawk's Nest http://www.myoutislands.com/bahamas-resorts/resorts.cfm/resort/Hawks-Nest-Resort-Marina
Staniel Cay Yacht Club http://www.myoutislands.com/bahamas-resorts/resorts.cfm/resort/Staniel-Cay-Yacht-Club

Note, however, that we'll need to book our stays by the end of THIS MONTH! But then, it's never too early to start dreaming of the Islands!

Ryan

BTW, Jim does good trips.

Grant, are you flying yourself down, or taking a tube?
Definitely flying ourselves down. In fact, I believe those discounts are only available for private pilots who fly themselves down. We last did it in 2009.

Bump. I've never flown in the islands before, but I'm interested in going. Is there anyone else who would seriously consider a trip down in the spring of 2012?

I know a couple people mentioned it, but are you still interested?

I wonder how much it would cost for me to pay AVGAS money as a PASSENGER on one of your planes (any of you). Oh and how long will we be gone? In 2013 who knows what company I will be working for or if I get vacation benefits or what town I will be living in. That is far away. Also wondering how much it would cost to fly there in a tube. I have a passport now (first time) but it remains unused, I've never shown it to anyone. I got it from a company years ago who was going to send me to London but then the budget changed and we cancelled the trip. I got a rush passport out of the deal, which is good for 10 years, so not too shabby!

Kimberly Anne- I imagine that, whatever the cost to fly it commercial, such cost is too much to bear!

By the way, I just noticed you have the same initials as King Air! Coincidence? I think not!

Kimberly Anne- I imagine that, whatever the cost to fly it commercial, such cost is too much to bear!

By the way, I just noticed you have the same initials as King Air! Coincidence? I think not!

Actually, I was named after a football team (and no, I don't follow sports).

I wonder how much it would cost for me to pay AVGAS money as a PASSENGER on one of your planes (any of you). Oh and how long will we be gone? In 2013 who knows what company I will be working for or if I get vacation benefits or what town I will be living in. That is far away. Also wondering how much it would cost to fly there in a tube. I have a passport now (first time) but it remains unused, I've never shown it to anyone. I got it from a company years ago who was going to send me to London but then the budget changed and we cancelled the trip. I got a rush passport out of the deal, which is good for 10 years, so not too shabby!

Hmmm, rough guess is about 40 hrs in the Frankenkota round-trip from Denver. Maybe a little less. That'd be more than $2,000 total fuel bill so 700 or so each for three people. Not bad. Of course double the fuel bill for total operating cost to me as the owner. Oh well, it's an expensive hobby.

Hmmm, rough guess is about 40 hrs in the Frankenkota round-trip from Denver. Maybe a little less. That'd be more than $2,000 total fuel bill so 700 or so each for three people. Not bad. Of course double the fuel bill for total operating cost to me as the owner. Oh well, it's an expensive hobby.

700 is not so bad if you start saving in 2011 for 2013. But then again, travel costs money so of course add onto that getting to the Frankenkota's hangar from where you live, paying for food / hotels / stuff / etc. while on the trip yada yada yada.

So yes, I will of course stay home and subscribe to this thread and watch all of you have the times of your lives. Take lots of pictures!

Ben - My first name starts with a "K"

My middle name starts with an "A"

My last name starts with an "L"

That spells:

KAL

Yes, both parents graduated from U.C. Berkeley (Cal)

They used to take me to the college football games when I was little and their friends got pregnant first and named their kid "CAL" (Cheryl) so I had to be given a "K" name in order not to copy the friends since I was born a year later.

That spells:

KAL

They used to take me to the college football games when I was little and their friends got pregnant first and named their kid "CAL" (Cheryl) so I had to be given a "K" name in order not to copy the friends since I was born a year later.

Interesting. I come from a Cal family too. My mom, uncle, some cousins, and second cousins graduated from Cal Berkeley, and so did I. But my initials are MDM...

Back on topic, round trip tickets from SFO to DEN average $200-300 but can be had for less if you find a special fare.

Interesting. I come from a Cal family too. My mom, uncle, some cousins, and second cousins graduated from Cal Berkeley, and so did I. But my initials are MDM...

Back on topic, round trip tickets from SFO to DEN average $200-300 but can be had for less if you find a special fare.

That's sweet you researched those prices for me. I think my money would best be spent on flying since I'm far from comfortable with the busy airspaces that surround us here in the Bay Area and I need to just get out there and fly more through those places. Or take another lesson.

Have fun in the tropics!

That spells:

KAL

Sure you weren't named after a Kryptonian? (Been watching too much Big Bang Theory lately).

I just came back yesterday from a trip from DC to Aboco Island in the Bahamas. The crossing was fine and customs was no big deal. it was much easier then I thought it would be.

Looks like fun! At sun n fun they have good bahama/ island flying seminars. Ive flown Bahamas and the customs and flight plan was easy ifr and vfr.

If you get a group you can get nice discounts and extras, especially in the bahamas. Check out the Bahamas ministry of tourism.

I would be interested and have some people in Fl we may be able to share flights with.

This trip would *not* suck.

I'd like to start getting a better idea of who plans to go. To add your name to the list of those planning to fly on the POA Caribbean Grand Adventure Caravan, reply to this post, copy the entire template row, insert a copy of it just above the template row, and replace the placeholders with your information before saving your post.

The current flight plan and proposed dates are as described in these two posts:

Flight Plan Route

Proposed dates < dates or durations at destinations subject to change per group concensus / discussion.

[ROW][CELL] Who [/CELL][CELL] How Many? [/CELL][CELL] Any extra seats? (#) [/CELL][CELL] Aircraft type [/CELL][CELL] Confidence (High/Med/Low) [/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]Troy & Teresa W[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]No[/CELL][CELL]182[/CELL][CELL]High[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]Template Row[/CELL][CELL]How Many[/CELL][CELL]Extra Seats[/CELL][CELL]Aircraft Type[/CELL][CELL]Confidence[/CELL][/ROW]

We're (probably) in.
[ROW][CELL] Who [/CELL][CELL] How Many? [/CELL][CELL] Any extra seats? (#) [/CELL][CELL] Aircraft type [/CELL][CELL] Confidence (High/Med/Low) [/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]Troy & Teresa W[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]No[/CELL][CELL]182[/CELL][CELL]High[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]Grant & Leslie P[/CELL][CELL]2[/CELL][CELL]1-2[/CELL][CELL]Bonanza?[/CELL][CELL]Med/High[/CELL][/ROW]
[ROW][CELL]Template Row[/CELL][CELL]How Many[/CELL][CELL]Extra Seats[/CELL][CELL]Aircraft Type[/CELL][CELL]Confidence[/CELL][/ROW]

Back