PNR or ANR

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Can someone explain the difference in PNR and ANR as it relates to headsets.

Some low life pilfered my headset bag out of my truck last night. Now I am looking at replacements. My budget is going to be nearer $350.

Thanks

Hey man,
I can hook you up. I have a ton of David Clarks. Most passive and a few anr. You can fly over to Brenham and try them if you want.
Shawn n2450y@gmail.com

And you can go visit Shane at KHYI and check out his products too.

For your budget, include the QT Halo.

If we can meet up next week after ScottD's event, I'll let you try both the Halo and the Zulu.2's

Whatever you do, all the research says if you value your hearing, get ANR. And there are several ANR choices in your price range -- try them on and see which fits your head best.

Whatever you do, all the research says if you value your hearing, get ANR. And there are several ANR choices in your price range -- try them on and see which fits your head best.

I Would not waste my money on a new $350 anr. They work very minimal and are not worth it. A good passive will be better than a low grade anr. Anr is great if you get the Bose or Zulu. They are $1000 each though. I do not care for Lightspeeds China products, I would buy Bose any day.
The halo is a good deal if you like earplugs. I don't like earplugs so I didn't go that route. A nice quiet passive that is crystal clear is the Beyerdynamic hs-200.
If you are interested in flying to Brenham I have every style of David Clark, Bose a20's and Beyerdynamics you can try. Your call.
I bought a couple of those low grade anr's a few years ago and sent them right back.

I've got Bose, Lightspeed and Marv Goldens in my aircraft. Bose were $850 on sale, Lightspeed were $350 and the MGs were like $285. Out of all them I wish I would have stuck with the cheap MGs and just saved the money. The noise attenuation that my Bose provide isn't much better than the rest.

Obviously I've owned passive before ANR came out. ANR is going to provide you with an additional decibel protection. If I'm using passive I always put foamies underneath to block the low freq noise that causes hearing loss. It's up to you but I'd invest in a decent ANR if you plan to fly on a regular basis.

The Marv Goldens are made by Pilot USA.

I had one break and they told me Lightspeed made them? I don't know. Either way I think it's safe to say they aren't making them in the back of their shop in SD. :)

The old style ones everyone sold with the small wire stirrups were made by lightspeed but they quit doing them. All the pilot shops are selling the David Clark knockoffs now that are made by Pilot USA.

I had a pair of PilotUSA once. Clampiest headset ever.

I really wish someone would perform a headset comparison where they actually conduct comparative performance measurements on all the headsets for frequency response of the sounds you want to listen to, attenuation amount and frequency spectrum for undesired noise, weight and physical clamping force on your head. Tests of this nature would provide much more valuable information for being able to make a more informed choice for headsets in the various price ranges. All of the subjective reviews I've read leave a lot to be desired for making good choices.

Problem is every headset is different for each person. I have used every headset made because I sell headsets. The anr is great in my 172. I plug my iphone in the Bose a20 and it sounds wonderful.
I also have a 540 powered Christen Eagle. It had 11:1 pistons, 6 into 1 exhaust etc. The airplane is so loud my ears ring for hours when I am done flying. I tried the Bose and Lightspeed. They just buzzed and crackled. I called Bose and they said sir, that headset is not made for a loud airplane. Ha! Go figure... The airplane I really need anr in it will not work.
So it all depends on what you want and fly. The only reason I put Bose in the 172 is for music. A 172 is not a loud airplane. My opinion is a passive works fine in these airplanes and you do not have to deal with batteries.
I think the Beyerdynamic and David Clark are the best passive.

QT Halo. My wife and I both love ours. Sound quality is excellent and the noise reduction is awesome. Best of all.......they are extremely comfortable.

What Dutch said......word for word. You'll never be sorry!

Thanks everyone,
I listened to some at the Summit, but its hard to know in a setting like that.

Just aggravated that some low life had to steal my stuff.

Back