PnP Trip Yesterday-Interesting Weather

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Some wild, some unforecast, some both.

A local dog was adopted in Tulsa. I was going to fly it to Springfield, MO and Dr. Robb was going to meet me there and fly it on to Tulsa.

I checked weather Thursday evening, the front is forecast to be clear to the east, clouds clearing here by 1400z with clear skies everywhere to the west.

Check weather early yesterday, Springfield is now forecast to be OVC025 by 1500z. WTF? Check area forecast, SW MO still forecast to be VFR. WTF?

Check NW AR (KXNA), that area is still forecast to be VFR, change meeting location to NW AR.

Take-off at 1500z, stay low (4500' then 2500') to duck below headwinds and clouds, make 115 kts across the ground, 15 kt headwind component. It's a lot smoother than I thought it would be considering the winds.

Have good cell reception, check weather, now NW AR is going MVFR. WTF?

Check Tulsa, still clear and forecast to remain so.

Text Dr. Robb, he's still on the ground, "I'll just bring the dog to Tulsa" (to KOWP actually).

He responds, "okay, I'll have lunch ready."

Make it to KOWP at 1800z. AWOS says "winds 300 @ 16G30" Runway is 17/35.

"This outa be interesting"

It was, got kicked around pretty good on short final. It's pretty hilly around OWP. The touchdown was smooth even though nothing leading up to it was.

I jumped up to 9500' on the return trip to catch the tail wind and made 175 kts across the ground. A three hour trip down...1+45 back.

Check KCGI weather when I'm about 30 out. "OVC 3,500' "

WTF? It was supposed to be clear all day at CGI.

Duck under clouds and scoot on it. ASOS says "winds 300 @ 21G31" Tower says active runway is 28.

"This could be interesting."

It wasn't. Pretty flat around KCGI unlike KOWP, plus the wind was much more aligned with the runway this time.

On top of all that, there was something strange going on in the atmosphere in this area yesterday because both of my radios were "staticy" all day long. I couldn't talk to either ZME or ZKC below 5,000'. I couldn't pick-up airport weather transmissions until much closer than usual (even when I was at 9,500'). WTF?

At least I hope it was something in the atmosphere and not my radios. They are completely independent of each other, including antennae so I don't think it was the radios.

Another day of learning.

Last edited:
radios- well, we are in high activity sunspot mode these days.

That IPC was a timely occurrence.

radios- well, we are in high activity sunspot mode these days.

That's what I was thinking the cause might've been also but wasn't confident enough to make that assertion.

That IPC was a timely occurrence.

Yes it was, I didn't go IFR on the trip but that tool was available should I have needed to. I thought about it once but really didn't want to be in the clouds (bumps) with an unknown dog aboard. And I certainly didn't want to be above the clouds westbound bucking the 40kt winds up there. That would've made for a long day.

Last edited:
Yes it was, I didn't go IFR on the trip but that tool was available to me should I have needed to. I thought about it once but really didn't want to be in the clouds (bumps) with an unknown dog aboard. And I certainly didn't want to be above the clouds westbound bucking the 40kt winds up there. That would've made for a long day.

Well the weather down here has been kinda odd for the past few days. It will be dead calm on the ground and howling +30kts 1000' above.

Shooting ILS approaches since Wednesday has been kinda interesting. Wind shifts as you come down through 2000,1000, and then ground level. One minute a 20* left correction works and then the next you need a 5* Right correction. :yikes:

It was 45kts at 3,000 feet here in ATL. 70kts at FL180.

Took a buddy's 182 out. Gusting 20kts. Flaps 40 degrees. Landed flat. :mad:

It was 45kts at 3,000 feet here in ATL. 70kts at FL180.

Took a buddy's 182 out. Gusting 20kts. Flaps 40 degrees. Landed flat. :mad:

Gusting 20 knots, I tend to use partial flaps. :D

Back