PnP Mission Report: Denton (DTO) to Wichita, KS (1K1)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Saturday (08/02/14) was a gorgeous day to go flying. Cooler than normal temps for August (loving it), severe clear skies (loving it more), and a really good reason to add a pin to my "places I've flown to" map, Pilots-n-Paws.

My mission was to pick up a German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP) named Belle that originated in Topeka, (KS) and was being driven down to Wichita. The assigning agency was Texas Sporting Breeds Rescue in Denton, TX, www.retrieveafriend.org. TSBR specializes in breeds that traditionally you might take on a hunt, including Brittany Spaniels, GSP's, Setters, Labs, and others. They really understand the breed and do a great job teaching them house and leash manners, and then matching the right dog to the right owner.

Accompanying me today was my new friend, Suli. This was her first flight in a small GA plane and she loved it. It was great having her along to talk to and pass the time. And she was a top notch dog wrangler when needed.

The flight out was just mah-velous. Cool air, smooth, and great company. Course 357°, Alt 6500 (FlightAware)One fun item I noted was that nearly all my visual way points were, for the first time, airports. Every 20-25 miles, there was a paved runway at least 4000ft long within my 4-nm wide corridor, if not nearly underneath me. While confident in my aircraft, it's nice to have plenty of pavement choices within best glide distance.

Landing at 1K1, Stearman Field, I discovered a true gem of a small airport, and something other small airports could learn from. Very well kept paved runway, solid well graded and kept sod for additional parking or landing on, plenty of hangars, affordable fuel, and one of the best on-airport bars/grills I've seen.

K1K1.jpg

745a93_7df71276fd834a5f89ad5dbb1fda03ec.jpg_srz_980_491_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

The restaurant was very active. Perhaps 80-90 customers were enjoying their meals and planespotting. Lots of airplane and pilot activity too. And true to the field's name, there were two Stearman's selling rides.

I really liked that airport. If I was going to purchase an airpark home, I'd want it to be at a place like that. Very friendly, nice facilities, and a great place to eat, hang out with aviation minded people, enjoy beverages, and watch airplanes.

Scott Sellmeyer (KSMooniac) came out to meet us. He was at the field wrapping up his tailwheel endorsement (Congrats, Scott!). And thanks for the assistance with fueling my plane.

1795687_10203577467692796_7814184210695495366_n.jpg

We met up with the ground transporters who brought the dog from Topeka. Belle is a beautiful 1 year old GSP with liver colored markings. Very sweet, but a huge bundle of energy and not much obedience training (didn't know sit commands, and was all over the place on the leash). Which could be why she was surrendered to the shelter. Likely the former owner thought she was a cute puppy, but didn't know what she would grow up to be.

So we got Belle and ourselves loaded, said our farewells to Stearman Field and were off back to Denton. Another smooth flight. The mid-day cumulo clouds were forming, but were below us. Suli still thought it was cool to be flying near and around the clouds, especially toward the end of our flight when a few had grown big enough to be "in our way" and I flew around them.

A nice landing back in Denton. Met our TBSR volunteer at the Business Air ramp, who took our picture. Then put 55WB away.

Things I learned from this trip.
  • Suli was a great flying companion and will definitely be invited on more flights
  • I am very jealous of the folks in Benton, KS. They have one of the best little airports I've seen.
  • I need to make up a PnP travel kit in a small carry bag. Include leads, harnesses, collars, water bowl, water, etc. Belle arrived with no collar and just a slip leash. We improvised with the leads I had brought, but if I didn't have a collar or harness. If I hadn't brought anything, that energetic dog would have been all over the place. I am also going to source some kennels off of Craigslist (both large hard side and collapsible).

Thoroughly enjoyed the day. Thank you Suli and Scott and Belle for being part of it!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Suli PnP.jpg
    Suli PnP.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 107
Thanks for the post! I've thought about stopping at 1K1 a couple of times and passed for other more familiar stops.

(Cool flying companion :)

Nice pirep and thanks for taking care of Belle. I saw a sign on a car today that said, "Who rescued who" in a dog print. I couldn't agree more.

PnP is one of the reasons I'm excited to hopefully get my ticket soon (checkride Saturday). I love animals and I love flying. I'm hoping I can use the future wife's love of animals to temper her dislike of flying...

Nice pirep and thanks for taking care of Belle. I saw a sign on a car today that said, "Who rescued who" in a dog print. I couldn't agree more.

4124w9%2BMUpL._SX300_.jpg

Need this for my car for sure.... soon, I'll need it for the Skylane.

If you're looking to adopt a dog that is both a good outdoor companion and an in-your-lap-lovebug, TBSR has a setter named Harper available. Click the photo for more information and photos.

I've flown three PnP missions to date. I wanted add #4 to the count this past Saturday but the fog changed my plans. My favorite flights so far!

Back