Plywood Aircraft

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
After seeing a doccumentary on bamboo, I was wondering why no one has tried to use it to build an airplane. Bamboo has a strenght to weight ratio that approaches carbon fiber. It seems to mee that it would be an ideal cheap, lightweight material. There's a company called Plyboo that makes bamboo plywood. Is there a reason this wouldn't make a good airframe material?

If it won't work, then what types/grades of plywood are used in wooden aircraft construction??

Santos Dumont's pioneering Demoiselle was built largely out of bamboo, though not bamboo plywood.

Neither one was made with bamboo, despite the nickname for the Cessna.

There were a few early designs that used raw bamboo lashed together, sometimes using metal fittings, but it's impractical (hard to get the consistency you need for balance, etc).

Bamboo is not easy stuff to turn into sheet goods, so right now "plyboo" is very expensive. That's why you won't see any aircraft made with it any time soon.
I think bamboo fibers could work very well as a replacement for carbon fiber... although it can't be made in "endless" lengths, and it's probably a little cheaper to make carbon fiber than to prepare raw bamboo for the same purpose.

But it's worth developing... bamboo is a grass- it's hardy, and it grows very quickly. Also, when prepared correctly, it surpasses any currently-used woods in strength-to-weight, and probably resists rot and UV damage better.

The only drawback other than price is that when tied down outdoors, a bamboo aircraft would be susceptible to damage by foraging pandas. :D

I am regularily flying an aircraft with plywood covering the wings! And I can tell you it works just fine. Strong, reliable, maintenance free (unlike all the metal, rubber, plastic parts).

there are a number of wooden framed planes that have a very thin plywood covering for the cabin, and sometimes back to the tail feathers.

I was shocked -- really, truly -- to learn how much 3/8" plywood is used in my Chief.

Three-eighths??? Couldn't spring for 1/2"????

At least it's "Marine grade"

Could it handle 33% more weight? Rough estimate is 4/8 is 33% more material than 3/8...

my new glider is skinned entirely in 1/8" plywood. wings are a real heavy PIA but they keep the airfoil shape much better over time.

The WWII invasion gliders were largely made of plywood. Thousands were made, but of course they were only meant to last one flight.

Also, the Mooney Mite had plywood covered wings.

Bamboo is not easy stuff to turn into sheet goods, so right now "plyboo" is very expensive. That's why you won't see any aircraft made with it any time soon.

I hear the Chinese are selectively breeding bamboo to be a better commercial product. If they have success in the next few years, that would mean a new, cheap, high strenght material to 'speriment with. ;)

I think bamboo fibers could work very well as a replacement for carbon fiber... although it can't be made in "endless" lengths, and it's probably a little cheaper to make carbon fiber than to prepare raw bamboo for the same purpose.

I wouldn't doubt that initially, it would be a little priceier, but as time goes on, it would have to get cheaper.

But it's worth developing... bamboo is a grass- it's hardy, and it grows very quickly. Also, when prepared correctly, it surpasses any currently-used woods in strength-to-weight, and probably resists rot and UV damage better.

That's why it piqued my interest. :cornut:

Back