PLEASE Help wording on resume

Superpilot61

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Superpilot61
I am working on resume:mad2: and i need a little help wiht how to word something.

I have a BS of science in aviation and a associate degree from a flight school.
I also took a 6 hour credit class and i want to be sure and put that on my resume.

The class was entitled " Pratt & Whitney PT 6 Familiarazation" the class number is AERM 1092 10BA

I have a certificate and everythign and feel i need to put this on my resume. what is the best way to word it. righ tnow i have it listed under education below my degrees but im just not sure how to word it.

Thanks in advanced!

What does the wording of the degree look like on your diploma?

Well im not asking for help in wording of a degree im asking for help with wording of the specific class i took...

it was an extra class that i took after i graduated. is it okay to list this class since its extra and has nothign to do with my degrees i feel the need to put it down to at least set me apart in some way.

Well im not asking for help in wording of a degree im asking for help with wording of the specific class i took...

it was an extra class that i took after i graduated. is it okay to list this class since its extra and has nothign to do with my degrees i feel the need to put it down to at least set me apart in some way.
I would just write down the name of the course and the school where you took it.

The wording is nowhere near as important as the appearance of your resume. You have to assume that whoever looks at it will be seen piles of them. Yours has to stand out to do any good.

The wording is nowhere near as important as the appearance of your resume. You have to assume that whoever looks at it will be seen piles of them. Yours has to stand out to do any good.

...and correct spelling and punctuation is a large part of "initial impression."

Education
*Bachelor of Science, Aviation Whattsamatta U, 2009
*Associates Degree, Wilber and Orville College, 2005

Relevant Courses
*Pratt & Whitney PT 6 Familiarization, class number AERM 1092 10BA, Pratt & Whitney School of Noisey Gasses, 2010

"relevant courses"

I like that thanks greg... also would yall recomend putting GPAs next to degrees?

oh and is a cover letter really necasary?? i am planning on making a drive around dfw area and hitting about 15 flight schools. do i need to write an individual cover letter for each school
i was just planning on giving my resume with no cover letter is that wrong?

The class was entitled " Pratt & Whitney PT 6 Familiarazation" the class number is AERM 1092 10BA

I have a certificate and everythign and feel i need to put this on my resume. what is the best way to word it. righ tnow i have it listed under education below my degrees but im just not sure how to word it.

Thanks in advanced!
How about...

• Completed a Pratt & Whitney PT 6 Familiarization Course
??

I've never sent out a resume or CV without a letter. The letters can wind up looking a bit alike, though.

Always send a cover letter. Never send a resume without a cover letter. Write why you are the person they are looking for and why they are the place you want to work. Thank them for their time and tell them the best way to contact you during the day. Tell them how you came across their name if it is not simply a phone-book search.
Always send a cover letter. If you get an interview, even by phone, send a thank-you note. Always.

I think if you're sending the resume somewhere it should have a cover letter. Notice how he said he'll be delivering it in person - it's probably less important when doing so.

The bigger issue delivering in person isn't whether or not you have the cover letter as much as it is about delivering to a DECISION maker. If you can manage that YOU are the cover letter. If you're not delivering to a decision maker you might as well not even try. It'll take a little research to figure out who that would be.

Just my opinion :)

Yes i will be delivering in person... i see what you mean if i can find out who the decision maker is than i can see where i wouldnt need a cover letter. who would typically do the hireing? I guess my best bet is to just ask the girl at the front desk if i can speak to the person in charge of hiring right???????

Yes i will be delivering in person... i see what you mean if i can find out who the decision maker is than i can see where i wouldnt need a cover letter. who would typically do the hireing? I guess my best bet is to just ask the girl at the front desk if i can speak to the person in charge of hiring right???????
That will get you directed to a website or some HR clerk. You need to be specific when targeting a resume for a specific position. That is where networking becomes very important, knowing someone on the inside is how you make contact with the person hiring for a specific position. Getting your resume to HR is not all that great of a thing.

What kind of job are you looking for, a pilot job or something else in aviation? What kinds of companies are you looking at?

That will get you directed to a website or some HR clerk. You need to be specific when targeting a resume for a specific position. That is where networking becomes very important, knowing someone on the inside is how you make contact with the person hiring for a specific position. Getting your resume to HR is not all that great of a thing.
Depends. If he's looking to flight instruct or something most of the places would not have a HR. The person in "charge of hiring" would be the decision maker. That said, you'll be a hell of a lot better off figuring out who that would be in advance and then asking for them directly.

im goign to be dropping of resumes at flight schools for a CFI possisition. what would be the best way of figuring out who the head hancho of hiring is at every school.

i guess the obvious answer is just to call and ask right?

Pretty much any flight school with a website is going to have a listing of instructors. Look for the chief instructor, and make sure you spell his or her name correctly.

I always asked for the Chief Pilot of Chief Flight Instructor (for instructing jobs) and attempted to talk to them directly. If I was unable, I left my resume and cover letter and followed up the next day with a phone call, and the next day and the next until I talked to that person.

Have a cover letter ready, addressed to the person in charge of hiring at the business you are seeking employment and mention why you want to work for XYZ Flying Company specifically. I always hated generic cover letters when I was in a position to hire and most often they and the resume that accompanied them were put to the bottom of the pile.

im goign to be dropping of resumes at flight schools for a CFI possisition. what would be the best way of figuring out who the head hancho of hiring is at every school.

In that case then you want to make sure you get the resume into the hands of the chief pilot/instructor. But even then try and make some good contacts around the various schools so you get to know people. It never hurts to have an employee hand your resume to the chief pilot and say 'I know this guy, he is a good stick and would make a good instructor on our team'.

After the "official" academic education category on my resume I have a section titled "Additional Education" or "Additional Training", whichever is appropriate. This is where I put non-degree courses and such.

For example for an aviation company, I added:

[FONT=&quot]Vendor training[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Jeppesen JetPlan & OpsControl, CMM/CMMI, numerous Oracle courses, BEA Weblogic, IBM Tivoli, Computer Security[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Additional coursework and study: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]accounting, adult education, aviation, accounting, marketing[/FONT]

For something not aviation but database (my primary area of expertise), I would remove the Jepp and aviation items and emphasize more of the Oracle, MySQL and MS SQLServer training.

PS - If anyone knows of database-related openings (full-time or contract) in the Colorado Front Range, I'm available and very cost-effective.

"relevant courses"

I like that thanks greg... also would yall recomend putting GPAs next to degrees?

No. And I speak from experience being one of the technical interviewers for obscure companies such as Boeing, Exxon, Digital Equipment. They may ask for transcripts later on if they are interested in you, but at the beginning, no. And usually the transcripts are just to verify you graduated.

oh and is a cover letter really necasary?? i am planning on making a drive around dfw area and hitting about 15 flight schools. do i need to write an individual cover letter for each school
i was just planning on giving my resume with no cover letter is that wrong?

Cover letter? Clean up your spelling and grammar here first, then ask about a cover letter.

First impressions, remember?

Why do you assume it will be "the girl at the front desk"?

How long have you been involved with aviation? Do you understand the traditional organizational chart for a flight organization? Do you understand the difference between the Chief Pilot and the Owner of the company? Is the company you're going to visit have two separate people in these positions or is it one and the same?

Hint: Use the most dangerous weapon you own - the telephone - and call each school/company and ask for the name of the Chief Pilot or whoever is in charge of operations. Then ask if that person is also the owner or president. Those are the two people who are your target market.

Another suggestion - contact the placement group at your college - they are a wealth of information and can provide enormous assistance.

[College faculty mode on::mad2:]
I'm going to deliver a resume at each flight school in the Dallas metropolitan area for a CFI position. What would be the best approach to contacting the "head honcho" at each school?"

My gawd...you live in Texas and don't know how to spell Honcho?

From which college did you graduate?

Sorry my spelling is not up to par for you guys. Thanks for the help and advice.

Sorry my spelling is not up to par for you guys. Thanks for the help and advice.

The point being made, by me and others, is PoA is not private. Everything you post is easily found using Google or other search engines. If an employer starts doing research on you and reads the postings....well, the postings show a bit of carelessness and a lack of accuracy, something not desired in a pilot nor a flight instructor.

Why do you assume it will be "the girl at the front desk"?

How long have you been involved with aviation? Do you understand the traditional organizational chart for a flight organization? Do you understand the difference between the Chief Pilot and the Owner of the company? Is the company you're going to visit have two separate people in these positions or is it one and the same?

Hint: Use the most dangerous weapon you own - the telephone - and call each school/company and ask for the name of the Chief Pilot or whoever is in charge of operations. Then ask if that person is also the owner or president. Those are the two people who are your target market.

Another suggestion - contact the placement group at your college - they are a wealth of information and can provide enormous assistance.
And, remember that your first interview starts before the moment you enter the door. I know of one case where the "girl at the front desk" is the owner. If she isn't impressed, you probably won't get past her. Sometimes in a small company, EVERYONE is a decision-maker.

Last edited:
Make sure your resume gets attention.

You know how they have those giant oversized checks they present to winners of an event? Put your resume on something that sized. Deliver it in person. Wear a tutu.

Make sure your resume gets attention.

You know how they have those giant oversized checks they present to winners of an event? Put your resume on something that sized. Deliver it in person. Wear a tutu.
Should he wear mantyhose?
http://www.e-mancipate.net/

;)

You printing it on A4 sized paper may not be a bad idea. Looks suspiciously close to letter size paper yet is just slightly larger and will stand out.

If you are going to apply for a position as a flight instructor, you need to cater your resume towards that. Including information about a class on a turboprop engine is not going to be advantageous when you will be teaching about 4 cycle engines.

Showing that class would not do much extra towards obtaining a flight instructor position. When you apply to a regional, they won't really care either. The bottom line will be your flight times, and does you resume look professional (not all about content)... when you look to apply to a regional. If you are going to apply for a 135 operator, then that class might be good for that situation if they have a King Air.

Cover letter is a must! When you only spend a few minutes with someone, all you leave them with is a first impression. After that, they will forget who you are unless you remind them why you are the perfect candidate for the job. The best way to remind them is with a well written cover letter. When the person reviews the applications later, a good cover letter will remind him/her of your first meeting and build upon that.

Good Luck!!
Bob

List your additional class under Continuing Education.

Something I look for, shows initiative and commitment to life long learning and change.

If you are going to apply for a position as a flight instructor, you need to cater your resume towards that. Including information about a class on a turboprop engine is not going to be advantageous when you will be teaching about 4 cycle engines.

Showing that class would not do much extra towards obtaining a flight instructor position. When you apply to a regional, they won't really care either. The bottom line will be your flight times, and does you resume look professional (not all about content)... when you look to apply to a regional. If you are going to apply for a 135 operator, then that class might be good for that situation if they have a King Air.
Well, the coursework itself may not be directly applicable, but the fact that he sought out and obtained additional training does speak well for him.

CFI job eh? Make sure you profess love for washing airplanes, fueling airplanes, and making sure there is fresh coffee.

I spend most days in an aviation business in the DFW area that includes a flight-training entity, although it is geared to advanced level instruction and recurrent training. As a mentor/advisor to the company, I have access to everything that goes on, including the job-hunters that show up frequently. I occasionally talk to some of them, and from time to time am able to help place a sharp young person find a good situation.

The head guy usually has too many things on his plate to stop and talk to every resume-toting kid who comes in the door, most of whom are unannounced. Nor is he likely to schedule an appointment to interview a candidate unless the business has a specific need and he is in "hire somebody ASAP" mode.

That happens about once every 10 years, so the rest of the time the resumes go in a pile on the corner of his desk, and occasionally somebody (including me) shuffles through the pile to see if anybody looking for a job can spell cat if you spot them the C and the T.

Whenever and however the resumes are reviewed, you want to be sure that yours is professionally prepared and casts you in the best light. Keep it brief and to the point, be sure it conveys that you are looking for an opportunity and will adapt to their needs.

The best advice I can give for an interview is to wear your big-boy pants and act like a grown-up. Try to talk in full sentences and leave off the "man, I'm like" kid talk. If you have reason to correspond with a potential employer, learn to spell and punctuate properly, and stop using the email/text non-capitalized gibberish that makes you look like you're about 13 years old.

Don't expect anything to happen quickly. Employers notice the applicants who persist in their job searches. Don't be hesitant to make the rounds every few months to let them know you're still around, still interested and still available. In this market, don't be surprised if it takes longer than you had hoped--maybe even a lot longer--to find a job. We're at a low point in the cycle, and things aren't going to get better overnight.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the advice Wayne. I really hate reading the last part of your post but i guess its reality. In the mean time ill continue training and get my double I with the money I don't have.

Back