Please explain: Free service for cellular hangar security cam

Country Flier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFL
I've been looking at getting a cellular trail cam for hangar security purposes...not that I've ever had a problem at my hangar, but looking to use it more to see if my airport does hangar inspections, my mechanic works on my plane at my hangar or his (airport provides him a master hangar key), etc...just general knowledge of what may go on when I'm not there.

I notice that this cellular trail cam offers 100 pictures, per month, completely free of any cellular charges, plan, etc....how is this possible?

*I'm a big believer in "you don't get something for nothing"...I do notice it has horrible ratings and is priced about as cheap as a trail cam can be priced.

Because they want to hook you into the plans that cost money. Same reason AWS has free tiers on their servers.

Those businesses are not guaranteed to be in business or to update their software in the future. So they are offering something to get customers, lots of businesses do this in hopes to sell those customer numbers for funding, sell the business, etc. without care for the future of the product or the customers.

Also how do you decide when a picture is taken is another consideration. You can consider getting some type of WiFi (add-on to an existing plan as an hotspot, limited data plan if you are not using it much, etc) and a $10-25 camera (check eBay or Amazon. Usually those $25 cameras you can find a 4 pack for $50-70 or so)

Back