PLB models?

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
I'm looking for a good PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) for my Citabria on floats... and ski's in the winter. Need one that is waterproof, in case I decide to land floats side up :nonod: Can operate at -40 temps, and isn't made in China...

Anyone have opinions or experience with the ACR ( AquaLink™ View PLB )?

http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/aqualink-view-plb/

I'm a little hesitant with the LCD screen... I've come to find that they don't like the cold very much..

I don't think the LCD screen affects functionality, most PLB's don't have a screen at all. It's superfluous.

I don't think the LCD screen affects functionality, most PLB's don't have a screen at all. It's superfluous.

oh, I agree with you...! But I don't want to pay the additional $100 it seems for a Lat/Lon display and have it now work...

Delorme InReach (not the SE) and lithium batteries. If you pair it with your cell phone, you can communicate 2-way.

I'm looking for a good PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) for my Citabria on floats... and ski's in the winter. Need one that is waterproof, in case I decide to land floats side up :nonod: Can operate at -40 temps, and isn't made in China...

Anyone have opinions or experience with the ACR ( AquaLink™ View PLB )?

http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/aqualink-view-plb/

I'm a little hesitant with the LCD screen... I've come to find that they don't like the cold very much..

Yep, it's a good unit. You don't particularly need the one with the display.

I'm not seeing where that is a 406 unit on the COPAS/SARSAT system.

It's not. Just throwing it out as an option since the poster did not say he wanted COPAS/SARSAT.

I find I get more value out of it, and I usually power it up _every_ flight and send some tracking signals so I know it's working.

Your friends/relatives can keep tabs on you or send you text messages (if you want that kind of thing).

You can also transmit "hey, this is N12345", we have crashed and have gear to survive the night (or not) injuries are X" and ask them what the rescue ETA is.

With COPAS/SARSAT you get - a blinking light. Then you cross your fingers and wait....

The battery replacement service for the COPAS/SARSAT units are not cheap. Being able to power the device with AA batteries, I can bring spares just in case.

I'm not seeing where that is a 406 unit on the COPAS/SARSAT system.

It's not. Just throwing it out as an option since the poster did not say he wanted COPAS/SARSAT. Or 406.

I find I get more value out of it, and I usually power it up _every_ flight and send some tracking signals so I know it's working.

Your friends/relatives can keep tabs on you or send you text messages (if you want that kind of thing).

You can also transmit "hey, this is N12345", we have crashed and have gear to survive the night (or not) injuries are X" and ask them what the rescue ETA is.

With COPAS/SARSAT you get - a blinking light. Then you cross your fingers and wait....

The battery replacement service for the COPAS/SARSAT units are not cheap. Being able to power the device with AA batteries, I can bring spares just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oops, sorry for the double post. Tapatalk claimed the first one did not go through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've heard some useful things about the Delorme... Only thing is that I don't want to pay a subscription or have to rely on my cell phone... Cold really does some nasty things to batteries and LCD screens!

If it isn't a 406 device, it does not activate the only SAR system on the planet. If you want to communicate with friends and family, fine, get one as well, if you want to start your rescue in the minimum time possible, that requires a 406 device.

Don't worry if it won't work at -40º. If it isn't in you pocket when you crash it isn't going to get used. And, if your pocket is -40º, you won't be needing a PLB.

I'd get this one, because it is tiny.

Don't worry if it won't work at -40º. If it isn't in you pocket when you crash it isn't going to get used. And, if your pocket is -40º, you won't be needing a PLB.

I'd get this one, because it is tiny.

They make a version of the ResQLink that floats, the ResQLink+ http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlinkplus/

I've got the standard ResQLink, as well as an original InReach (non SE). I fly with both of them. ResQLink's smaller. InReach goes on the plane's glareshield for tracking, while ResQLink stays on me.

They make a version of the ResQLink that floats, the ResQLink+ http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlinkplus/

I've got the standard ResQLink, as well as an original InReach (non SE). I fly with both of them. ResQLink's smaller. InReach goes on the plane's glareshield for tracking, while ResQLink stays on me.

I wouldn't personally wait to crash to activate it, no reason you can't turn it on on the way down. Best to wear it like a pendant.

I wouldn't personally wait to crash to activate it, no reason you can't turn it on on the way down. Best to wear it like a pendant.

Never said I'd wait, just that I don't keep it stashed in the back of the plane out of easy reach.

Go direct to ACRs website, they frequently have a special on the ResQLink. Or buy at REI is you're a member and get the rebate as well as the special price from ACR (send receipt and boxtop to ACR)

Go direct to ACRs website, they frequently have a special on the ResQLink. Or buy at REI is you're a member and get the rebate as well as the special price from ACR (send receipt and boxtop to ACR)

Awesome! Thanks... Now that's being a good wingman ;)

I'm right there with you! My emergency plan, although never had to use it, would be to activate the aircraft equipped 406 airborne and make any and all radio calls... (This is assuming it's a, "for sure" off airport landing) Lot's of hills and terrain that could potentially block all communication... Good thinkin!

Bad things happen to good pilots... This happened to a guy here in Fairbanks! Ouch...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 15
Awesome! Thanks... Now that's being a good wingman ;)

Well, missed it. Only good on purchases up to Dec 31. But don't worry, they'll have another onenin a couple months, they do the rebate or goodies offer 3-4 times a year.

I'd like to see user replaceable batteries. I have one PLB 9 years old and another 5. The 9 is cheaper to throw away than replace batteries.

Back