PLB Battery Replacement

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
Well, the label on my McMurdo FastFind 210 says that the battery should be replaced by January of 2015. The unit cost me just under $300 IIRC about 5 years ago.

In checking the internet for replacement batteries I am finding battery change "services" that begin well north of $100 but no actual batteries for sale. Since "service" is what the bull does to the cow, this extortionate activity seems to be aptly named.

I am sure I can milk the current battery for another year or two as shelf life for lithium batteries is typically much longer than 5 years. I just tried the self-test fr the first time and the test code indicated the unit is in good condition. But eventually the battery needs to be replaced.

Question: Has anyone shopped currently-sold PLBs to find one with user-replaceable batteries or reasonably-priced replacement cost? I would rather buy a new one than pay the ripoff costs I am seeing.

...In checking the internet for replacement batteries I am finding battery change "services" that begin well north of $100 but no actual batteries for sale. Since "service" is what the bull does to the cow, this extortionate activity seems to be aptly named...

The first one that comes up on a Google search is $114.99 with free shipping. Maybe that's "well north" of a hundred bucks to you but really, if you could purchase a battery alone what do you think it would cost? I think it's reasonable considering that first and foremost the main thing you want is to be sure that if the time comes the darn thing is gonna work. There's really no point in carrying one around if you aren't fairly certain of that.

Back