Plasma plugs

If they could find a plug big enough for Joe's mouth, Then they WOULD have sumthin'!

:rolleyes:

I doubt our magnetos have the energy required to do it with no modifications to the system.

I saw a quick presentation on this at my last engines seminar......... no where near ready for prime time. The durability isn't there.

The theory between a regular spark plug and this, is the spark plug is a point start for the flame front. It then travels outward towards the remaining mixture. Two plugs for aircraft, means the mixture burn rate is halved (roughly). Flame speed is highly dependent on turbulence intensity.......which is highly dependent on mean piston velocity.

The corona plug, since the corona reaches to the outsides of the cylinder in a multi-lobe pattern, greatly increases the area that is ignited to start with. It would be like having 8, 16, or more spark plugs located within the cylinder. So the remaining burn time is minimal, and with a much higher energy input to the system, the ignition delay is reduced. You get a very short, rapid pressure rise, but since most of the mixture is ignited already, the potential for knock is greatly decreased.

The combustion event is similar to HCCI, without the need for pressure transducers and controlling AFR and in-cylinder temperature to a nats a$$.

The advantage for aircraft engines, would probably be increasing the lean limit combustion stability. Imagine fire-walling the engine, then controlling power with just running LOP. No rough running issues, and since your well LOP, no temperature issues either.

Back