Planning my first Long XC as a PP

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
Well, I've finally saved up enough money to take my first long XC since getting my PP. I've done a couple 60-70nm mile hops for $100 hamburgers with the wife and kids, but for this one I think I'm going to go solo, because it's looking like my wife has to work the weekend I have the trip planned.

My plan is to fly from Anderson, IN (AID) back to my home town in Wheeling, WV (HLG) to visit my family. I'm really excited to finally get the chance to take my father up with me, and maybe my brother will give in and go for a ride too (well, ok, I doubt it).

The route is pretty easy, and it's not really that far. It's only 228nm, but that's a long way for me as a new PP. Basically I just need to fly east and avoid the Dayton and Columbus class C's along the way. There are plenty of diversion airports along the way most no farther than 20-30 minutes apart, so there's no worries there.

I think this is going to be a good chance for me to really hone my fuel calculation skills as well as my leaning skills. We shall see how that plays out. But to be safe, I'm going to call several airports along the way to double check fuel prices and availability the day before I go! So far I've never needed to purchase fuel away from my home drome.

I'm going to be flying our club 172 which has no autopilot and only a yoke mounted GPS. I still need a few hours in our 182 before I meet the insurance requirements to take it solo. Too bad too - it's got a brand new Garmin 430 and a GPS coupled autopilot! But that's OK, I this will be a great learning experience for me.

Speaking of learning experiences, I've decided to do some shorter solo flights for practice as well as two lessons with my PP instructor over the next two weeks before I go. One of them is going to be for night currency. I don't want to get caught after dark without some training, that's for sure. The 3 hours I had for my PP surely isn't enough! I don't plan on flying after dark, but I want to be prepared.

I hope I've thought of everything. Now I just need to keep an eye on the schedule and the weather and it looks like it's shaping up to be a good trip!

At this stage in your piloting career, I suggest you try to avoid using autopilots and "direct-to" on the GPS. Hone your piloting and pilotage skills, and the toys will be gravy instead of crutches.

Did I mix metaphors enough?

As far as using GPS / autopilot as a low time pilot.
I kind of mix it up.

If I am going to go cross country in let's say a 172. I will use the GPS, If it has an autopilot I'll use that too.

But when I go fly the piper super cruiser, I am willing to do cross country in it too. All it has though is a compass. That's it. So it's a good learning experiance and can be a lot of fun.

Am I willing to take the super cruiser up to the Twin Cities area and land at an airport right next to KMSP and remain under the bravo to do it?... No. I don't trust my navigation skills enough to risk my license. I'll do it with a GPS and sectionals.

I'll be hand flying this trip with the yoke mounted GPS and my sectionals as my primary navigation tools and both VOR's tuned up as my backup mode of navigation should something go wrong.

In the past I've cross checked each method every 15 to 30 minutes. I plan on repeating that to be safe.

I even plan on asking Indy Center for flight following to my destination once I get to altitude - but it's going to depend on how busy the frequency is at the time - same with Dayton and Columbus approaches...

Columbus and Dayton App are easy to work with. If you get FF from Indy Ctr you will most likely have it all the way. You will end up with Pitt App and they will stay with you until you see Wheeling. It should be a real good learning flight. I'm from NE Ohio and I have worked with ATC all over the state and they are more than happy to help you.
Have fun.

Good luck on the flight. Let us know how it turns out. My time is coming for one of those longer XC flights. Just don't know when it'll happen.

Mike;

Enjoy your XC trip; Sounds like you have a real nice plan. I remember my early XC's flown with just the compass, good clock, sectionals, and one radio. Dead Recogning and pilotage is so much fun for you get to see all the sights as you fly along.

Let us know about your trip.

Have fun

John

Back