Planning for 2020 ADS B

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I would like to plan ahead for the 2020 ADS B requirement. I am looking for advise as to what equipment I need and the cost to install.

ADS B out or ADS B in?

It will most likely take me some time to save the cash for the upgrade. I understand the difference between ADS In and Out. What I don't get is the best way to incorporate it into my plane.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Bill Burgett

This video is from John Zimmerman at Sporty's Pilot Shop and it is a recorded webinar all about ADS-B. And I mean ALL about ADS-B. It's an hour and six minutes.

https://youtu.be/1LvZy59FhQw

This is the best-presented, most accurate information I've seen readily and publicly available. He really knows his stuff. Some brands and models have changed, and there are more options now, but the base "What's ADS-B and how does it work?" here is terrific.

Invest an hour, and you'll know much more than most folks.

It's a long video, but lots of solid info. Good luck and Enjoy!

I would like to plan ahead for the 2020 ADS B requirement. I am looking for advise as to what equipment I need and the cost to install.

ADS B out or ADS B in?

It will most likely take me some time to save the cash for the upgrade. I understand the difference between ADS In and Out. What I don't get is the best way to incorporate it into my plane.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Bill Burgett

A lot of us are going through the same decision process. Much depends on what you already have in your plane. If you already have a WAAS capable GPS you may be able to use that source for the ADS-B Out equipment.

The number of options is still expanding (Garmin just announced some new transponder alternatives for example) so just when I think I have the best combination figured out I end up going back to re-study the solutions again.

I am presently focused on "out" only. That's all that's needed to be legal in 2020.

A lot of us are going through the same decision process. Much depends on what you already have in your plane. If you already have a WAAS capable GPS you may be able to use that source for the ADS-B Out equipment.

The number of options is still expanding (Garmin just announced some new transponder alternatives for example) so just when I think I have the best combination figured out I end up going back to re-study the solutions again.

I am presently focused on "out" only. That's all that's needed to be legal in 2020.

Looking at both. Just wondering what the coverage is in Alaska....

Looking at both. Just wondering what the coverage is in Alaska....

I think it's quite good. The last FAAST meeting regarding ADS-B I went to discussed that Alaska was the original test bed back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

This. If you are looking at costs, it depends highly on what you already have in the airplane.

Personally, I think the best bang for the buck is to focus on ADS-B Out and use a portable device like Stratus for the -IN.

You got YEARS before you need to worry about it, also keep in mind what happens to tech, both price wise and funstion wise, as time goes on, just one year is a lifetime and we got 4! Well presuming you even need ADSB for your mission.

As for in and or out, I'd just do out unless I could get a sweet heart deal on both, I'd also be looking for the international setup and I travel as I think it makes the plane worth a little more and easier to sell if you even wanted to.

You got YEARS before you need to worry about it,

Well that might not be the case. The local avionics shop told us during a statewide meeting that he was almost fully booked to 2020 on upgrades.

The closer you get to 2020 the harder its going to be to install one of these things. Early adoption has its price, but so does late adoption. ADS-B out is the signal the FAA gets, you HAVE to have it by 2020 or no controlled airspace for you. ADS-B in is the goodies the FAA gives us, wx and traffic.

The boxes them selves vary quite a bit. You also need mode C capability, if you really like your mode-C transponder there are boxes that can use it. If yours is an old piece of junk like mine you can get a mode S transponder, which will do double duty (and might even install using the same wiring as your old transponder).

Some of the boxes will broadcast the ADS-B signal over wireless or bluetooth, you can pick it up on your phone or tablet. But you'll pay for the privilege. Like the man said, you can use a portable antenna that will do the ADS-B in job, they're very worthwhile. Stratus is supposedly coming out with one next year that into which you can plug your portable antenna, the box will give the portable an external antenna and a power supply. AOPA does have a page listing all these things, I don't know if you need a membership to see it.

Better than 3 AMUs for the box, installation will probably be expensive as well. Lets hear it for the FAA looking out for us little guys. And you watch, I bet money they give the airlines an extension.

Well that might not be the case. The local avionics shop told us during a statewide meeting that he was almost fully booked to 2020 on upgrades.

And the car dealer told me the deal was only good for today too

Standard issues sales, if you got the cash in hand and call around and don't mind a little treck, you're not going to have a hard time to get a install done in a reasonable time frame.

My understanding is if the pilot stays below 2500 AGL the aircraft doesnt have to have ADSB. Except required under Mode C veil and in Class C. What about Class D airspace?

My Advise, your money-do a complete new panel fully integrated with ADS-B out and in, synviz and AP. My money, I'll replace my xpndr with an ADS-B out solution and use the Stratux I built.

Of course, there is another factor to consider. After 2020 anyone living anywhere near any controlled airspace is going to look askance at an aircraft not equipped with ADS-B. You may live in East Bumphuk West Egypt, but the guy who wants to buy your airplane may be going somewhere more populous. You may be able to shine it on, but your airplane could loose some value or appeal if it doesn't sport some sort of ADS-B solution.

Of course, there is another factor to consider. After 2020 anyone living anywhere near any controlled airspace is going to look askance at an aircraft not equipped with ADS-B. You may live in East Bumphuk West Egypt, but the guy who wants to buy your airplane may be going somewhere more populous. You may be able to shine it on, but your airplane could loose some value or appeal if it doesn't sport some sort of ADS-B solution.

I expect we are going to see many small airplanes come up for sale at decreasing prices as the deadline approaches as there are many out there where the cost of the ADS-B install will be a material part of the value of the whole airplane.

In which case I'll buy them up, out a all in one 3k (or less then) box in and turn them for a nice profit.

What I think will happen as far as bad stuff goes, is you're going to have more aircraft buzzing around talking to no one and with a inop xpdr

Back