Planning ahead - a 290NM XC

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I'm not IR yet, but do have aspirations someday. Maybe even commercial someday, too.

I've got an itch for a long (for me) XC and am wondering how to maximize the benefits towards later ratings.

The route I'm looking at would be 145NM (AirNav reports 145.9NM), one way with just one stop before returning. Day VFR. Mabye solo, maybe not.

I'm not familiar with XC requirements for more advanced ratings:
With a total distance of 290NM and only one stop (other than back at home), are there any requirements that this XC could be used to fulfill?

Would there be any value added by working in an intermediate stop or another 10 or 11NM?

Thanks,
Matt

Here's the solo x-c requirements.

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

If you want to take the CFI along for dual you can do it day or night

(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; (iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

All of the requirements can be found in FAR Part 61.129.

I'm not IR yet, but do have aspirations someday. Maybe even commercial someday, too.

I've got an itch for a long (for me) XC and am wondering how to maximize the benefits towards later ratings.

The route I'm looking at would be 145NM (AirNav reports 145.9NM), one way with just one stop before returning. Day VFR. Mabye solo, maybe not.

With a total distance of 290NM and only one stop (other than back at home), are there any requirements that this XC could be used to fulfill?

Would there be any value added by working in an intermediate stop or another 10 or 11NM?

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks,
Matt

It could count for the day solo xc requirements for a commercial certificate if flown without any other living humans in the airplane. If you make such a solo flight be sure to log it as "Solo" with a comment that makes it clear that you were the sole occupant of the plane along with the information about specific points of landing. Few pilots pay any attention to logging "solo" flight after getting their PPL and some end up having to make an additional flight to cover this requirement.

It could count for the day solo xc requirements for a commercial certificate if flown without any other living humans in the airplane. If you make such a solo flight be sure to log it as "Solo" with a comment that makes it clear that you were the sole occupant of the plane along with the information about specific points of landing. Few pilots pay any attention to logging "solo" flight after getting their PPL and some end up having to make an additional flight to cover this requirement.

The only solo XC requirement for the commercial is the long cross country, which must go at least 250nm from the point of origin.

To the OP: You might want to just go ahead and fly another 105+ nm and make it your long solo cross country for the commercial. Or, grab a CFII and do the 145nm trip under IFR so it counts for the IFR cross country for your instrument rating.

Or, just have fun and learn. Long cross countries are good for that, whether they count for anything else or not. :yes:

The only solo XC requirement for the commercial is the long cross country, which must go at least 250nm from the point of origin.

Nope - not going that far (at least not on this trip)

To the OP: You might want to just go ahead and fly another 105+ nm and make it your long solo cross country for the commercial. Or, grab a CFII and do the 145nm trip under IFR so it counts for the IFR cross country for your instrument rating.

Nope - I think I'll save that for when I'm actually doing IR traing.

Or, just have fun and learn. Long cross countries are good for that, whether they count for anything else or not. :yes:

Yep.

--

But I'll get this (although I think I already have at least one of these in my logbook):
--(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

I'll look up the above reference later. I don't have my FAR/AIM with me today.

But I'll get this (although I think I already have at least one of these in my logbook):
--(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

I'll look up the above reference later. I don't have my FAR/AIM with me today.

Look again - That one's gotta be dual. You could, of course, grab a CFI. :yes: You could also go during the day (make sure to take at least two hours!), and return at night, and get both dual VFR cross countries taken care of.

Look again - That one's gotta be dual. You could, of course, grab a CFI. :yes: You could also go during the day (make sure to take at least two hours!), and return at night, and get both dual VFR cross countries taken care of.

And those hours/XCs would count towards the IR requirements? (again, I don't have my book and I'm too lazy to look it up on-line).

"I'll look up the above reference later. I don't have my FAR/AIM with me today."

But you are at your computer, right? And online, to boot? Go to www.faa.gov and click on regulations and/or AIM. :rolleyes:

Bob Gardner

And those hours/XCs would count towards the IR requirements? (again, I don't have my book and I'm too lazy to look it up on-line).

If dual, they would count both towards the dual XC requirements of the commercial, and the XC PIC requirements for the IR. :yes:

§ 61.65 Instrument rating requirements.

(d) Aeronautical experience. A person who applies for an instrument rating must have logged the following:

(1) At least 50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command, of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes for an instrument—airplane rating

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—

(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

Note what I bolded: For the IR cross country time, you have to be pilot in command, which can be either solo or dual. For the commercial stuff, it is "training" which has to be dual.

You can check off a lot of boxes with this flight, either solo or dual. I suggest a review of both 61.65 and 61.129 to see which ones you still need and decide which ones you want to check off. :yes:

But you are at your computer, right? And online, to boot? Go to www.faa.gov and click on regulations and/or AIM. :rolleyes:

Bob Gardner

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm old fashioned and would rather curl up in front of the fireplace with the FAR/AIM and a warm cup of chamomile tea, with my dog by my side, ...

uhh - I think I said too much!

If dual, they would count both towards the dual XC requirements of the commercial, and the XC PIC requirements for the IR. :yes:

Note what I bolded: For the IR cross country time, you have to be pilot in command, which can be either solo or dual. For the commercial stuff, it is "training" which has to be dual.

You can check off a lot of boxes with this flight, either solo or dual. I suggest a review of both 61.65 and 61.129 to see which ones you still need and decide which ones you want to check off. :yes:

Hmmm - I'm thinking the CFI thing might be a good idea. There is always something to learn, and, coming back at night, under the hood, is some good experience.

It's been a while since I had any real training (my Wings/BFR nearly a year ago), I really am overdue.

Thanks for the ideas!

Matt

Back