kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, everyone,

I'm planning a "big" cross-country, from Bedford MA to Madison WI and back. At least, it's big for me!
I know a few PoA folks who have agreed to be "stopped at" along the way... but the plans are still very flexible and I'm always happy to meet new people, if you happen to be along my route. (Especially if you have a couch I can sleep on!) Details are here:

http://ligo.mit.edu/~rawlins/flying/destinationmadison.html

If anyone has recommendations for great places to stop for fuel or lunch, especially in Indiana, Ohio, or PA, let me know! This will all be unexplored territory for me. If any "mini-fly-ins" happen to spring up near my route, let me know and I'll try and be there.

Flight parameters: rental C-172SP with IFR GPS, autopilot, bells, and whistles. Pilot will be instrument-rated if all goes well on my checkride at the end of this month. :)

--Kath

Katherine: Sounds like an awsome flight. Will this be before or after the Wings Fly-B-Que? If its before we will expect to hear all about it.

:blueplane:

kath said:
Hi, everyone,

I'm planning a "big" cross-country, from Bedford MA to Madison WI and back. At least, it's big for me!

If anyone has recommendations for great places to stop for fuel or lunch, especially in Indiana, Ohio, or PA, let me know! This will all be unexplored territory for me. If any "mini-fly-ins" happen to spring up near my route, let me know and I'll try and be there.

--Kath

Stop at 3W2 Put in Bay, OH for lunch. Allow yourself 2-3 hours to putter around. You'll want to rent a golf cart at the airport which I think cost me $20 when I was there a few years back.

Refuel at C03, Nappanee, IN. Fuel at the self-serve pump is the cheapest I've ever found. I you don't have lunch by then, you can get a ride to Amish Acres and have the thresher dinner.

If you need fuel and food near Chicago, land at C09, Morris, IL, near the JOT VOR, and have lunch at the Runway 47 Cafe right on the ramp. Morris has had the best fuel price in our area lately.

Enjoy!

And you do have to make the stop at Burke Lakefront in Cleveland. Do it before they "Meigs" it. There's the Rock & Roll hall of fame within walking distance.

Worth a stop.

Danger of this is you are going to get so many 'have to stop here's' that you'll spend more time in the pattern than on an X-C leg.
When is the planned flight, and how long are you planning on it taking? If you are going for the multi day trip, Burke and the R & R Hall as well as Put-in-Bay are great stops, if you get up that way and are in need of a place, ONZ is right by there, we have a couple of couches, but nothing fancy. Sandusky (SKY) is right next to Cedar Pointe (that's going to add one more day to the trip) and they allow camping on the field, plus they have a small diner.

Back