Plane to plane

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I've never done this but I read one time there is a frequency that two planes can tune and talk to each other and not interfere with other traffic or towers.
Can someone tell me?
Thanks

122.75 is what fixed wing GA uses around here.
123.45 is what avionics techs use around here.
123.025 for helicopters.

Last edited:
Many people "use" fingers, but 122.75 has been set aside for this purpose, 123.45 has not been.

Use the right one.

122.8 around North Carolina

22.75 and 23.45 are probably the most used, correct or not.

I've never done this but I read one time there is a frequency that two planes can tune and talk to each other and not interfere with other traffic or towers.
Can someone tell me?
Thanks

The listed common Air to Air is 122.75 nationwide. Many metropolitain areas with high density 'practice areas' will use a 'local' frequency in and around the practice area (often 123.45) to keep the airport working frequencies clear of their chatter. This is not typically a published or officially assigned frequency, but often ATC is aware of it. Most of the time you don't find out about it unless you do a local check out. Just ask a local CFI and they will let you know.

Last edited:
Nope.

Yep.

Im think he is stating that although 122.8 is a CTAF frequency people will talk about their grandkids, order a pizza, and all sorts of other stuff in between and on top of the parachute jumping notifications, landing traffic, and anything else that can be heard within 75 miles. :D

Around here people are using radio-telephone devices on AT&T and Verizon for plane to plane communications. I believe they operate on the 1900mhz band, but not sure. They are digital. The only problem is that since they're a ground-based transmission system they only work up to about 6,000'-9,000' depending on the area. But, they're crystal clear when they do work.

EDIT: Oh, and you can also send and received typed messages between these devices as well.

122.75 is designated for this purpose, and is the only frequency authorized in the Continental USA for this purpose.

123.45 is (within the USA) specifically assigned to Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, and some other companies for their exclusive use for their own flight test operations. Intrusion on their frequency is an FCC violation, and if those companies hear you, they will respond on the air, reminding you that you are violating FCC rules by interfering with their operations (yes, I've heard it, and don't ask me more than that).

Note that in some Oceanic areas (North Atlantic for sure), 123.45 is designated for inflight interplane communication -- but not over the Continental USA.

If 122.75 is too crowded and someone wants to "bootleg" a frequency, then I'd suggest something other than 123.45.

Maybe the chopper air-to-air frequency would be quieter; 123.025.

Or 122.25 which is assigned to balloons. Doubt that one sees much traffic.

Or 122.775 which is listed as "air shows and air-to-air" (or appears to be unassigned, depending upon the reference.)

I've also heard of people using 122.725 which is a Unicom frequency but not assigned to many if any airports around here.

Anything but 123.45, at least in this area, because actual flight testing does occur around these parts.

Last edited:
Back