Plane-Power alternators

skylanerg

Pre-takeoff checklist
KFOK, Gabreski, Suffolk Co, Westhampton Beach
Display Name

Display name:
harpo
1978 C82R (skylane rg). Last week the OEM alternator crapped out. Interesting flight with newbies.

I'm requesting PIREPS on the Plane-Power units. I've searched the interwebs (and PoA) and really can't find any bad reviews. Any first hand experience here?

Thanks guys

Used them on my twin ,never had a problem.

I've had a PlanePower alternator on my Tiger for two years, and happily recommend it. Much of the Grumman fleet has converted to them, and I've heard nothing in the Grumman world but positive comments.

I sprung for a Plane Power for my 177RG three-ish years ago after two bad experiences with Kellys. It was moderately pricey but definitely worth it. Knock on wood, but I've had no problems with it so far.

Thank you, gentlemen
icon14.gif

I'll get one ordered later today.

I tried to get one for my arrow, but since I have factory a/c, they dont have one that would fit. They were fairly responsive to my inquiry though.

great product. Just remember that the nut on the cable stud is metric, don't try to force an imperial nut on it if you drop the original in the grass.

PP alternators are what comes in our Van's RV kits. 2+ yrs and doing well. They have great customer service.

Ensure you follow the belt tightening procedure. Too tight will cause bearing failure. Too loose(like mine after belt break-in) is not as bad unless slipping at high current output. Mine cranks out 55A(60A Alternator) after startup to recharge two AGM batteries and it did not squeal, but was well below correct nut torque specified. So, I keep at the minimum specified range to help the bearings.

PP alternators are what comes in our Van's RV kits. 2+ yrs and doing well. They have great customer service.

Ensure you follow the belt tightening procedure. Too tight will cause bearing failure. Too loose(like mine after belt break-in) is not as bad unless slipping at high current output. Mine cranks out 55A(60A Alternator) after startup to recharge two AGM batteries and it did not squeal, but was well below correct nut torque specified. So, I keep at the minimum specified range to help the bearings.

Early kits included automotive type alternators which failed regularly. Vans then switched to PP as customers reported good results. This is what I like about Vans, they listen to customers and adjust kit components accordingly.

I tried to get one for my arrow, but since I have factory a/c, they dont have one that would fit. They were fairly responsive to my inquiry though.

They might have changed that now. I just installed the ALT-FLX belt-driven 150A alternators on the 310. Only about 20 hours on them so far, but I like them quite a bit.

If you do go the ALT-FLX route and upgrade your electrical system, it can be quite an extensive job. But worthwhile.

Back