Plane into house

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Radio news in LA reporting a 172 into house at Santa Monica

via Tapatalk

Pretty sure they wanted to limit the airport to Approach Category A and B airplanes.

That's easy enough. Just fly the approaches faster. I can fly mine at Cat B speeds if I need to.

That's easy enough. Just fly the approaches faster. I can fly mine at Cat B speeds if I need to.
Huh? The point is that Category C and D airplanes would not have been authorized. That would exclude quite a few jets, which was the whole idea.

Huh? The point is that Category C and D airplanes would not have been authorized. That would exclude quite a few jets, which was the whole idea.

We are talking the Categories listed on the approach plates yes?

Yeah, I'm generally flying ILSs above 120kts, till I am dropping the gear. Actually, gear down is 138kts, so I'm still above 120 with the gear down.

Sorry read that completely backwards...that they wanted to get RID of A and B.

Sorry read that completely backwards...that they wanted to get RID of A and B.

LOL, was wondering about that. I got CAT II at LAX and OAK in my Travelair by flying my approaches at 90. Since it was a 1958 with an owners manual and no stipulation for min approach speed except not to go below 85 until landing was assured, I got it done without the extra hardware. It only took 12 approaches, 6 then a check that got me qualled to 150' until I completed 6 more and that got me 100'. No Autopilot.

Yeah, I'm generally flying ILSs above 120kts, till I am dropping the gear. Actually, gear down is 138kts, so I'm still above 120 with the gear down.
But the approach category for your airplane is determined in this way...

AIRCRAFT APPROACH CATEGORY- A grouping of aircraft based on a speed of 1.3 times the stall speed in the landing configuration at maximum gross landing weight. An aircraft must fit in only one category. If it is necessary to maneuver at speeds in excess of the upper limit of a speed range for a category, the minimums for the category for that speed must be used. For example, an aircraft which falls in Category A, but is circling to land at a speed in excess of 91 knots, must use the approach Category B minimums when circling to land. The categories are as follows:

a. Category A- Speed less than 91 knots.

b. Category B- Speed 91 knots or more but less than 121 knots.

c. Category C- Speed 121 knots or more but less than 141 knots.

d. Category D- Speed 141 knots or more but less than 166 knots.

e. Category E- Speed 166 knots or more.
...not by the speed you actually fly the approach.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/PCG/A.HTM

Flying at a faster airspeed doesn't change the category of your aircraft. Just changes the minimums you have to use on an IAP. A 172 flying an approach at 115 knots is still a category A aircraft.

I can't believe the pilot of this airplane survived with minor injuries. The airplane looks like it went through a trash compactor...

I thought there was other stipulations with twins on that Category thing. I had the 1.3Vso easy with a stall of 63 but then there was also Vsse and other considerations and blah blah... but maybe that was extra for the CAT II thing. In the end they let me go with it though because they couldn't find anything in the manufacturers literature that suggested a speed higher than 90 for safety.

The very first CAT III approach was flown in a Cat A aircraft.

Last night news showed a video shot with cell phone of the pilot being dragged out of the wreckage. He was crying out in pain although there were no visible injuiries. There are reports of leg and ankle injuiries. He appeared covered with dirt and possibly avgas. The passerbys who pulled him out were dousing him with water from a garden hose.

Also reported was the pilot went around on his first attempt to return for landing. His 2nd attempt to land is when he crashed. The news reporter made it sound as if "ATC" told the pilot to go around.

Covered in AvGas sounds "good" in this story so far... at least he didn't run it out of fuel...

Sigh.

4973' x 150' - not too many reasons to get told to go around on that unless there was another aircraft on the runway...

This is going to be an interesting one...

Back