Plane crashes into homes in San Diego, Ca

Discussion in 'Aviation Mishaps' started by Bender Aviation, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Flying Keys

Flying Keys Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Flying Keys
    Wondering that myself. Maybe just the flight director with the command bars slaved to the ALT HOLD?

2. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Interesting. I don't have much experience with the STEC equipment. Thanks

3. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    I see a fair amount of that when pilots look at the mode select panel to try to figure out what it’s doing rather than the annunciations on the PFD. It can get to be a vicious cycle.

Flying Keys and PaulS like this.
  4. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route

Display name:
    If the autopilot is in the Flight Director mode, maybe?

On my Avidyne DFC90 (different from the autopilot in this plane), if I start with the autopilot engaged in a certain mode like ALT, and then if I disengage the autopilot in by pushing the Flight Director button, the autopilot computer will still do something in ALT mode: it will display the Flight Director guidance for that mode on the PFD, without causing the servos to do anything to the flight controls. (This is not a common way of disengaging the autopilot, and in fact the CFI who did my transition training didn’t understand it.)

5. luvflyin

luvflyin Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    I can see a certain logic to that. But I think I would consider "...unless it is very obvious there is something wrong with the autopilot..." might be taking it a little far. If it doesn't seem to quite be making sense, maybe it's time to push the button, and not continue to try and find out if something is 'obviously' wrong with it. Especially on final for an Approach. Not arguing directly with you Paul. Just food for thought.

PaulS likes this.
  6. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    PaulS
    I basically agree with you, especially on final, but maybe the correct answer is go missed and figure it out rather than hand fly down the approach. There are so many different things that can occur, and for some of those disconnecting the AP would be absolutely appropriate. I guess my point is automatically disconnecting the autopilot when things aren't going correctly should not replace reasoned deliberate, thought out actions to solve a problem.

7. luvflyin

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Gotcha. Agree. More food for thought. With an RNAV navigator/FMS or whatever 'box' and a connected Autopilot, pushing the TOGA, or equivalent button, that is a valid logic. Thing with this scenario though is it never reached the point of 'Missed Approach.' The Controller just began to Vector and Climb him. A Pilot could decide to go Missed Approach and sort out that he wasn't complying with his last heading and altitude assignment later. There are clues here that reconciling the differences between what was loaded into the 'box' via 'Approach Activated' and the instructions ATC were giving him may have contributed to the outcome.

8. woodchucker

woodchucker Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    woodchucker
    Adding another thought about ctl. I’m slowly working my way through IR training. One of my CFIIs shared how a student was failed on a checkride. The normal missed approach to the runway is a right turn west due to mountains to the east. The DPE let the pilot complete the circle then when on final told him to go missed. The pilot followed the missed right turn instruction, east towards the mountains. Automatic fail.

azpilot and PaulS like this.
  9. Bill

Bill Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    I'm an advocate of pushing the big red button if George decides to go nuts. Get the airplane under control, THEN figure it out.

MikeNY and Plano Pilot like this.
  10. MICHAEL MAHN

MICHAEL MAHN Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    FlyingFan
    The identical thing happened to me on my IFR check ride. I asked the DPE for "delay vectors to address an automation issue". He said he liked the fact I kept my cool and flew the plane. It's easy to keep your cool when you have an experienced pilot sitting next to you. I hope I'm never in the situation of solo, in the clouds and contending with an emergency. I'm sure it's a completely different animal.

CRQFlier and Flying Keys like this.
  11. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Make sure you understand what the AIM says about missed approaches during the circling maneuver. :cool:

12. PaulS

Display name:
    PaulS
    I disagree that this was not a missed approach. I mean it's semantics I guess, but he missed the approach, and the controller cancelled his clearance. The controller then assigned a heading and altitude. Flying with the automation he had, I would have established the climb, dialed in the heading, gone to heading mode, set the altitude bug, set the fms for a climb, made sure what I entered is happening, turned the AP back on and let the AP fly, actually for me, the AP would have been on already. Then I would take a breath, and try to figure out what just happened.

I would say I'm maybe 50/50 flying missed in training situations, meaning about half the time, if I don't ask, they want the published missed, the other half I get vectors. It's just part of flying IFR, you should be completely comfortable with both.

Again, it appears this guy was confused, turning off the AP because you are confused is a bad practice. I think the problem is, for what ever reason, when he left the localizer, he thought he was doing the proper thing, then had his world blown up when the controller told him he was off course and cancelled his clearance.

Flying Keys likes this.
  13. PaulS

Display name:
    PaulS
    Depends on what "goes nuts" is. I had an autopilot do an uncommanded climb before, that made me disconnect. But again, if I'm confused, but the air plane is flying fine, I'm leaving George on and working on getting unconfused.

Zeldman likes this.
  14. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Another possibility was that he had broken out at the time he inquired if he was cleared to land on 23. He may have started the circle which is why he was diverging from the localizer course. Then peppered with a pile of confusing to him instructions, he claimed back into the clouds without the benefit of having George engaged. Still, it seems bizarre you can't knuckle down and get into a climb when the controller is issuing countless low alt warnings. He'd have likely been back on top pretty soon.

15. TrueCourse

TrueCourse Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    TrueCourse
    Let's say he did start the maneuver then. He would be one lucky pilot to suddenly see the airport and runway just when it's time to intercept the localizer. But it would also show he wasn't familiar with the circling maneuver. Can't say I've heard any guidance on starting a circling maneuver from 7 miles out. I'm thinking its more probable he did have some ground contact and may have been doing his own navigating at that point. Or, he was already overloaded and lost his SA fast.

16. Hunter Handsfield

Hunter Handsfield Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Hunter Handsfield
    Blancolirio's report is excellent. Sorry, I'm an infrequent user, don't meet criteria to post links. If unfamiliar, go to youtube/user/blancolirio and click on the videos button. This event is the latest analysis.

The pilot wasn't making a circling approach when he crashed. He was on an IFR flight plan to KMYF, cleared to intercept the localizer (not yet cleared for the approach itself). He missed the localizer and turned to the north in IMC. He increased engine power and accelerated. ATC repeatedly gave him vectors and instructions to climb, with increasing urgency as he approached rising terrain. Still IMC, the pilot reported climbing when he actually was descending (and turning right). Tone of voice suggested high stress level. Juan interprets all this as clear indications of somatographic illusion, with acceleration in IMC interpreted as a climb, and reacting to body sensations and not his instruments. It is highly probable he had increasing spatial disorientation and finally a death spiral to the right until ground contact at high speed just north of KSEE.

All of which raises a question I have long had about instrument rated pilots based in places where they infrequently make real-world approaches in IMC, like Arizona. The pilot lived in Yuma, where the flight originated. I wonder how many approaches he had made, and how often, in IMC. (Sorry if I missed a discussion of this issue among the many posts above.)

Hunter Handsfield
    T182T N134GW
    BFI, Seattle

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    ivegotmoxie likes this.
  17. luvflyin

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    It's semantics. While I wouldn't call that a "missed approach" I get that it might be called that. I get what you say about not automatically turning off the Autopilot just because you are confused about something. But if the confusion is about what the Autopilot may or may not be doing, I'd probably 'push the button.'

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  18. PPC1052

PPC1052 Final Approach

Display name:
    PPC
    I had one case where a biz jet crashed into a few homes, killing some passengers, injuring others, and demolishing the homes, one of which had someone inside. We invited everyone with a claim to a mediation, where we said we would pay the limits out if they agreed amongst themselves how to divide the policy. We did have the one lady in one of the houses who didn't come. She was not injured physically, and was just claiming emotional distress. (She alleges she was kneeling down in her living room praying at the exact moment the plane crashed into her home.) So we carved out a small amount for her claim, settled with everyone else (with my client's, the insured's, consent), and took the risk of an excess judgement from her to put the rest of the claims to bed. We ended up litigating her case for some time before she finally took the small bit of money we had left on the policy to settle her claim.

azpilot, Kenny Phillips and Palmpilot like this.
  19. farmrjohn

farmrjohn Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    farmrjohn
    AOPA has a preliminary discussion and what the NTSB will most likely be looking at

20. MalibuJim

MalibuJim Pre-Flight

Display name:
    MalibuJim
    Juan, as usual, has a great review. I like that he describes the potential pilot incapacitation, as spacial disorientation.

21. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    Juan Browne is a hack. I watched his video this morning. He has some good points/details in there, but as is usual for Juan, he goes into his analysis with great confirmation bias and overlooks several key details in the process.

Best videos I've seen on this accident so far are the VASAviation one and the above linked Air Safety Institute.

EugeneR, Flying Keys, martym and 2 others like this.
  22. MikeNY

MikeNY Pre-Flight PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Mike
    A loss-of-control accident may have had one final opportunity to avoid disaster, before or after exiting IMC, nose down with excessive bank angle
    ... recovery from unusual attitude.

Formerly for instrument currency, (if using a sim/FTD/ATD), CFR 61.57(c) included:
    -Two unusual attitude recoveries while in a descending, Vne airspeed condition
    and
    -two unusual attitude recoveries while in an ascending, stall speed condition.

Although no longer required in regs, 'recovery from unusual attitudes' (practice overcoming vertigo/disorientation) ... might have led to a different outcome.
    Thoughts and condolences for family and friends of pilot and ground victims; a tragic loss.

23. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    In my experience, the majority of pilots execute the proper unusual attitude recovery procedure only after hearing the words “put your head down and close your eyes.”

Jim K, Daleandee and MikeNY like this.
  24. Daleandee

Daleandee Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    In my recent flight review the instructor had a twist on this as she had me keep the controls, close my eyes, and then make a descending left turn. After a half minute or so I was certain that I must be screaming towards the ground at a fairly steep rate. Imagine my surprise to open my eyes and see that we were pretty much wings level and climbing at a pretty good nose up attitude!

We did most of the regular flight review stuff but her method of unusual attitudes was a bit different.

woodchucker and Zeldman like this.
  25. asicer

asicer Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    asicer
    My instrument DPE did something similar, gave me a bunch of climb/turn/descend instructions with my eyes closed. After a minute or so, he said "This isn't working. Are you peeking? My airplane."

Daleandee likes this.
  26. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    I’ve done that as well…you’re still putting it in their heads that it’s time to think about unusual attitude recovery. And there are some who refuse to cooperate for whatever reason.

I’ve got a sim malfunction that results in a nose-high unusual attitude, and the only way to survive is the proper nose high recovery technique. Sometimes I even verbally review the recovery procedure beforehand, and most pilots still “die”.

Daleandee likes this.
  27. Daleandee

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    The desire to peek is very strong! But I realized that doing so wouldn't help me learn anything at all so I kept them closed.

28. asicer

Display name:
    asicer
    Yes it is, but I didn't peek. I really did fly all of that with my eyes closed.

I should also add that after the DPE took over, my nose-high recovery was a little slow, so it's not like I'm a super-pilot or anything.

29. martym

martym Pre-Flight

Display name:
    martym
    Professional speculation seems to have grown into a legitimate sideline for some.

TCABM likes this.
  30. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    People are finding ways to make money off of youtube.

Just like with the media, there is a wide range of quality and style.

Dan Gryder is pretty much the National Enquirer - focus on sensational juicy tabloid details
    Juan Browne is CNN - facts often get lost in bias. He editorializes and calls it 'Analysis'
    Scott-Perdue (Fly-Wire) is more like the Wall Street Journal - good analysis, far less bias

And Flight Chops is Guy Fieri

wayneda40, azpilot, eman1200 and 10 others like this.
  31. donjohnston

donjohnston Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Don
    Now that's gold right there. :D

azpilot likes this.
  32. Hengelo

Hengelo Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Hengelo
    Dan G has chalked this up to an adverse reaction to a C19 booster shot. We are living inside of a Saturday Night Live sketch.

wayneda40 likes this.
  33. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
  34. Hengelo

Hengelo Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Hengelo
    woodchucker likes this.
  35. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 Final Approach

Display name:
    hindsight2020
  36. Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    vinnybecker
    mryan75, woodchucker, EugeneR and 2 others like this.
  37. Daleandee

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    Seems he answered his own question (but that didn't stop him).

"I’m not a medical doctor, so perhaps I’m applying my ignorance to questions I ought not to attempt to pose ... "

Yeah it's time ... IBTL

azpilot and Hengelo like this.
  38. PaulS

Display name:
    PaulS
    mryan75, azpilot and Hengelo like this.
  39. Hengelo

Hengelo Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Hengelo
    Understatement of the year.

mryan75, azpilot and Vincent Becker like this.
  40. asicer

Display name:
    asicer
    wayneda40 and azpilot like this.