Plane crashes at the Hampton Roads Executive Airport in Chesapeake

Twin_Flyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Twin_Flyer
Not a good start to the new year...:no:

"CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) Emergency crews are respondedto a plane crash at the Hampton Roads Executive Airport in the 5100 block of West Military Highway in Chesapeake.

An investigation reveled that the plane was coming in for a landing and had a hand landing, that caused the plane to shoot 20 feet in the air. As the plane came back down, the left wing clipped the ground. The propeller was then destroyed by the ground causing the plane to spin around.

Steve Grobel was getting ready to take off when he saw the single winged plane come in to land.

"But he bounced back up into the air," Grobel said of the landing. "The plane turned to the left so now he's perpendicular to the runway, and he's coming towards me. The left wing tipped into the ground the airplane turned around and then the airplane came to a stop."

The nose of the plane slammed into the ground. The pilot suffered minor injuries.

"I shut down my plane just as quickly as I could and ran over and ripped the doors off of his plane," Grobel explained."

http://wavy.com/2016/01/01/plane-cra...in-chesapeake/

The dreaded "hand landing".
Glad he walked away.

The dreaded "single winged plane".

Would have been awesome if the pilot got out of the plane and yelled: Ta-Da! (But seriously, glad he was okay)

A hand landing and single winged plane? Oh the horror.

Also, I've had a surprising bounce one time right after I filled all my tires up. Not sure how high i went exactly, but it was enough that I immediately applied full power and went around. Usually if I get a little bit of a bounce, I'll just add a bit of power to settle it back down.

Looked up the aircraft registry because I didn't recognize it. Definitely a plane I'm not familiar with:

COSTRUZIONI AERONAUTICHE TECNAM
P92 EAGLET

Yeah, I've heard of TECNAM...just haven't seen many if any.

You really need to nail the airspeed during landing with a single winged plane. :lol: :lol:

Gland they were OK.

Looks like a dreaded LSA, glad they are ok.

Seems like there is an accident at PVG every 6 months.

I was thinking the same thing...:yes: There was a piper landing accident not long ago. I wonder if the construction has become a distraction...:dunno: It can get crazy over there when it gets busy... Glad he was okay...:yes:

btw, I have no comment on the news reporting or the eye witness...:yikes:

Looked up the aircraft registry because I didn't recognize it. Definitely a plane I'm not familiar with:

COSTRUZIONI AERONAUTICHE TECNAM
P92 EAGLET

Yeah, I've heard of TECNAM...just haven't seen many if any.

60a24dedad20692d4da0297fe38caf43.jpg

Not a good start to the new year...:no:

"CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) Emergency crews are respondedto a plane crash at the Hampton Roads Executive Airport in the 5100 block of West Military Highway in Chesapeake.

An investigation reveled that the plane was coming in for a landing and had a hand landing, that caused the plane to shoot 20 feet in the air.

What do you expect from an investigator still wearing his lampshade and blowing his noisemaker?

Flew into PVG this morning. Notam said 'runway unsafe' but they had already cleaned things up. The new runway is much better than the paved cow-path they had until recently.

Had lunch in the sandwich place. Nice weather today, a number of planes in the pattern doing T&Gs. I can find 7 accidents since 2006. Doesn't seem unusual for a reasonably busy place with training activity. The fatal that shows up under PVG was a C304 that lost it during a missed approach and ended up in the dismal swamp.

As the plane came back down, the left wing clipped the ground.

Steve Grobel was getting ready to take off when he saw the single winged plane come in to land.

Made it sound like the left wing broke off and then it tried landing again with one wing. I think the author of this article might have partied a little too hard for New Year's.

Flew into PVG this morning. Notam said 'runway unsafe' but they had already cleaned things up. The new runway is much better than the paved cow-path they had until recently.

When was the last time you flew in here? The new runway has been open for a while, although they just recently started connecting the taxiways.

Aircraft was/is owned by a leaseback company -

"This is a company that provides Tecnam leaseback aircraft to flight schools. It is growing fast due to shortage of supply of good quality, modern training aircraft and high world demand for professional flight training."

Oh there was an "investigation". Case closed, then. :D

Did a child write that piece for WAVY? (very likely a child with a j-school degree)

"Hand landing", "reveled", "The propeller was then destroyed by the ground causing the plane to spin around." :lol:

Also, why not lead with "The pilot suffered minor injuries." instead of burying it? To force me to read the author's poorly written guessing?

Aircraft was/is owned by a leaseback company -

"This is a company that provides Tecnam leaseback aircraft to flight schools. It is growing fast due to shortage of supply of good quality, modern training aircraft and high world demand for professional flight training."

It was one of Curtis Eads flight school planes. Leaseback..

I think the last accident was about 1-2 years ago, Pilot and student converted a simulated engine out into a real engine out and ditched in the swamp off the end of 28. Got out and walked back to the FBO.

I think the last accident was about 1-2 years ago, Pilot and student converted a simulated engine out into a real engine out and ditched in the swamp off the end of 28. Got out and walked back to the FBO.

Actually, a DPE and applicant was it not?

It was one of Curtis Eads flight school planes. Leaseback..

That happened a year ago this week.

Back