Plane crashes after lightening strike?

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
http://avherald.com/h?article=42fb63a9&opt=0

A plane crashed this morning and it is being reported as a result of a lightening strike.

An Aires Boeing 737-700, registration HK-4682 performing flight 4C-8250 from Bogota to San Andres Island (Colombia) with 121 passengers and 6 crew, touched down about 80 meters (260 feet) short of the runway and broke up in three parts while landing at San Andres Island Airport at 01:49L (06:49Z). One passenger was killed, 34 passengers received non life threatening injuries of varying degrees. All survivors were taken to a local hospital for treatment or checks.

San Andres Island Police reported, that the airplane was struck by lightning just as it flared and touched down. Police reported 121 passengers, 4 children and 6 crew (131 people) on board.

aires_b737_hk-4682_san_andres_island_100816_2.jpg

Could have also been something to do with a microburst associated with the lightning strike?

Could have also been something to do with a microburst associated with the lightning strike?
Hence my ?? in the thread title. Planes seem to survive pretty well, even Airbuses, after a lightening strike. It could have been a microburst or even that the flight crew freaked a bit after the strike.

I bought a King Air for a guy in 1999 that was previously owned by a guy in Atlanta. Prior owner experienced lightning strikes on successive flights. The first was on the right engine (that was then inspected per manual) followed by a similar event the next time he flew it on the left engine that required the same process.

Hence my ?? in the thread title. Planes seem to survive pretty well, even Airbuses, after a lightening strike. It could have been a microburst or even that the flight crew freaked a bit after the strike.

I'm interested in the details of a lightening strike.

Could be useful in improving my aircraft's climb performance.

Having been struck by lightning 4 times myself, and having flown planes with more than a dozen strikes, I'd bet it has very little to do with the lightning itself. Most lightning strikes are really a non-event

I bought a King Air for a guy in 1999 that was previously owned by a guy in Atlanta. Prior owner experienced lightning strikes on successive flights. The first was on the right engine (that was then inspected per manual) followed by a similar event the next time he flew it on the left engine that required the same process.

Uhhh... Really? This puts my BS meter fairly high - If I saw that in the logbooks, I'd expect a gear-up landing or some other event requiring engine teardowns.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back