Plane crash in north Fort Worth kills 3

ausrere said:

For registration-required sites, try getting a login and password that works from www.bugmenot.com. Works great.

Here's the same story and 17 pictures at another local news site. I was based at Hicks... hope it's not somebody I know. Looks like a Mooney to me. Plains Trail would have put him on left base to runway 14...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Saginaw,+TX&ll=32.939863,-97.416415&spn=0.019263,0.030088&hl=en

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4747998/detail.html

Last edited:
M20J owned by someone named "Welborn," according to the Dallas News.

No flight plan on file.

Ms. Vasquez, who moved to the Idlewood Estates subdivision two years ago, said she could see the wreckage and billowing smoke from her driveway.

"Every night you hear the planes flying by," said Ms. Vasquez, 32. "I'm nervous this is going to happen again."

Hours after the crash, planes continued taking off and landing.

"It's as if they don't know there's been a crash," she said.

=======

?

Ms. Vasquez, who moved to the Idlewood Estates subdivision two years ago
And now she wants to "express her concern" about the airport.

Around the time of my checkride, I met a guy in a local watering hole who, asking where I flew out of, said "well you're one of those guys who flies over my neighborhood all the time then. I hate that" or words to that effect. A pilot buddy of mine responded "then why do people keep building their houses near airports?" This guy confessed he'd lived there maybe 5 years. The airport has been there over 30.

Sorry to drift off the crash topic, a sad event. I just felt a little rant coming on.....

SCCutler said:
Hours after the crash, planes continued taking off and landing.

"It's as if they don't know there's been a crash," she said.

[/i]=======

?
She has a point here I think. Just think what it would be like if you witnessed a car wreck and everyone just kept right on driving - as if they didn't know there'd even been a wreck. :hairraise:

Where do they find these people?

SCCutler said:
M20J owned by someone named "Welborn," according to the Dallas News.

According to his family members, the pilot was Don Welborn, 74, of North Richland Hills.

The Sheriffs Dept reported this morning that the prop was found many yards from the wreckage... I wonder if he lost it in flight? The report said that witnesses reported he had returning to land.

gibbons said:
She has a point here I think. Just think what it would be like if you witnessed a car wreck and everyone just kept right on driving - as if they didn't know there'd even been a wreck. :hairraise:

Most people have been conditioned by the media to think airplanes are very dangerous. They are, but no more than other forms of transportation, but that doesn't sell airtime.

Troy Whistman said:
The Sheriffs Dept reported this morning that the prop was found many yards from the wreckage... I wonder if he lost it in flight?
The investigation will determine that. A prop can travel "many yards" after impact, depending on how you define "many." There's a lot of energy in those spinning blades.

Ken Ibold said:
The investigation will determine that. A prop can travel "many yards" after impact, depending on how you define "many." There's a lot of energy in those spinning blades.

In that "new pictures" post I made, there is a picture of the prop... near the initial ground scar. I think it just broke off on the initial impact. It didn't appear to be the "many yards" I heard on the radio this morning... the wreckage was clearly visible not too far away.

gibbons said:

Get a video camera and a news van and stand anywhere public. D-----d thing is like a bug zapper for moths. They congregate. And spout. I swear a news camera can reduce most people's IQ by at least 30 points.

Jim G

grattonja said:
Get a video camera and a news van and stand anywhere public. D-----d thing is like a bug zapper for moths. They congregate. And spout. I swear a news camera can reduce most people's IQ by at least 30 points.

Jim G

Really? I guess that explains the "intelligence level" of the typical TV newscaster.

gibbons said:
Just think what it would be like if you witnessed a car wreck and everyone just kept right on driving - as if they didn't know there'd even been a wreck.

I was involved in a wreck where that exact thing happened. The guy that hit me was blocking 1+ a bit of the 3 lanes of traffic and about 1/4 lane of the 2 lane crossing road. Bottlenecked both extremely busy roads something awful and NOBODY stopped for several minutes. A hospital ER doctor on the way home from work was the only one that stopped. The guy that hit me was in a world of hurt and his cellphone broke during the impact.

Groundlings don't get it that if the wreckage is not on the runway, arrivals aren't likely to know about it at all.

Back