Plane Crash in NJ

What a shame. The engine must have fuel when close to the hard edges of the sky, guys.

31E ( Eagles Nest ) is 39.6 nm from MIV must have been a fast plane to get there just minutes later unless they were leaving from 31E.

Its also amazing that they found the plane b/c one of the Pax called Mexico city where he was from , with his cell phone, and they patched him through to emergency services in NJ

What a shame. The engine must have fuel when close to the hard edges of the sky, guys.
We don't know yet if it was fuel exhaustion or starvation, carb ice, fouled plugs, loose throttle or mixture cable or some other problem related to the engine... not that I'd be surprised, mind you, if it turned out they were on fumes as they approached the shoreline....

How sad, and of course you can tell by the eyewitness' account that she now probably believes those "little airplane" engines are not reliable. :(

Kudos to those folks for calling 911, though... I guess the Mexican pax called home first because he didn't know the emergency # or anybody local he could call.

I found the comments posted on the site, purportedly from the person whose wife was interviewed and who witnessed the crash, to be very interesting.
I am Dan Martelli and we reported that this plane crashed at about 12:15 - 30PM Saturday. At 1:30 I went to the police station to see what they were doing to find these people and they said they would not mount a search until the plane was reported missing by the airport where they filed their flight plan. I got so upset because so much time had gone by that they threated to arrest me if I did not leave. So I went home and called the FAA and the National Traffic Safety Board, Channel 6 news...

So I went home and called the FAA and the National Traffic Safety Board, Channel 6 news and anyone until someone listened. The inactivity by the police most likely cost those people their lives

So do they not come to the scene or a car crash until someone at the house where you filed your driving plan calls the police? ARGH!

I found the comments posted on the site, purportedly from the person whose wife was interviewed and who witnessed the crash, to be very interesting.

Quote:
I am Dan Martelli and we reported that this plane crashed at about 12:15 - 30PM Saturday. At 1:30 I went to the police station to see what they were doing to find these people and they said they would not mount a search until the plane was reported missing by the airport where they filed their flight plan. I got so upset because so much time had gone by that they threated to arrest me if I did not leave. So I went home and called the FAA and the National Traffic Safety Board, Channel 6 news...

So I went home and called the FAA and the National Traffic Safety Board, Channel 6 news and anyone until someone listened. The inactivity by the police most likely cost those people their lives
So do they not come to the scene or a car crash until someone at the house where you filed your driving plan calls the police? ARGH!

I could believe the witness and I am not bashing the police I think they do a thankless job and deserve more respect then they get, But I had problems with he NJSP before. I was driving down 76 just over the bridge and I was rear ended by a punk in a white Honda. The kid took off so I went after him to get his license plate # then call the police. When they came out they told me they could not do anything because it was under $500 worth of damage. By the way I was under a sign that said "report aggressive driving call *77". Well about $1200 later the car was fixed, thank God the cop did not worked for an estimator. The cop had this I want to go home so why are you bothering me with this attitude. So I could see them not listening to her until they heard form someone else. However I do respect the police even after it incident.

The news report makes it sound like the search was started soon after the crash.:(
ApacheBob

I could believe the witness and I am not bashing the police I think they do a thankless job and deserve more respect then they get, But I had problems with he NJSP before. I was driving down 76 just over the bridge and I was rear ended by a punk in a white Honda. The kid took off so I went after him to get his license plate # then call the police. When they came out they told me they could not do anything because it was under $500 worth of damage. By the way I was under a sign that said "report aggressive driving call *77". Well about $1200 later the car was fixed, thank God the cop did not worked for an estimator. The cop had this I want to go home so why are you bothering me with this attitude. So I could see them not listening to her until they heard form someone else. However I do respect the police even after it incident.
Well, I don't think anything more than a torn-off side mirror is less than $500 these days! I don't understand why they'd have a problem taking a report under the possibility that it would wind up being more than $500!

Back