Plane catches powerlines

Holly Sh--, Holly Sh--!

Hard enough to see the poles and lines in the video, I'm guessing he never saw them. Makes me seriously think about my home strip, I've got lines on both ends and I have a firm 10-minutes-after-sunset rule about landing here. At that point I can still see the poles on approach but lose the lines.

Best ad I ever saw was, "your balls saved my life" referring to the big spectacular orange balls on power lines.

It looked as if there was a pole that they just barely missed before clipping the line. Hard to believe he couldn't see that. They looked to be rather low.

I wonder what field that was at? There are no charted airports actually IN Ida Twp, though Ham-A-Lot is pretty close. But it doesn't have a 18/36. Wickenheiser does, but it's north of Ida and its Google satellite photo doesn't quite match. Quite probably it was a private strip, and uncharted.

ones attention gets fixed upon the landing spot and all other things disappear.

There a pole there and a small area of the top is painted red if you freeze frame it.

Those lines look like an excellent candidate to be buried at the approach end. That's what they did decades ago at KEIK on the South end.

There's "goalpost" poles to fly through, but the lines themselves take a quick dive into terra-firma between those two poles.

Cheap, effective solution...

I found the pole easily because I was looking for it. I do wonder if his position had something to do with it. Rather low and in the left seat. Could have been his blind spot. Here comes a "failure to familiarize himself with all applicable information pertaining to the flight."

I found the pole easily because I was looking for it. I do wonder if his position had something to do with it. Rather low and in the left seat. Could have been his blind spot. Here comes a "failure to familiarize himself with all applicable information pertaining to the flight."

Was he left seat or was it tandem? I didn't see a reference to what kind of aircraft it was.

There are lots and lots of airports and even more private strips out there with wires right along the end of the runway.

I posted this on the red board:

It's not at the road, it is running kitty-wampus through the field, with a pole that looks to be 200' off the approach, just about on centerline.

I can almost see someone unfamiliar with the field focused on the touchdown point after crossing the road and looking right through the lines.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=saum+...ter+Township,+Monroe,+Michigan+48161&t=h&z=17
9qzkih.png

I wonder what field that was at? There are no charted airports actually IN Ida Twp, though Ham-A-Lot is pretty close. But it doesn't have a 18/36. Wickenheiser does, but it's north of Ida and its Google satellite photo doesn't quite match. Quite probably it was a private strip, and uncharted.
It's not on the chart.

I posted this on the red board:

It's not at the road, it is running kitty-wampus through the field, with a pole that looks to be 200' off the approach, just about on centerline.

I can almost see someone unfamiliar with the field focused on the touchdown point after crossing the road and looking right through the lines.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=saum+...ter+Township,+Monroe,+Michigan+48161&t=h&z=17
9qzkih.png

My AI said 300 feet from the runway and 20 feet high, but I don't know where he got the information. Allegedly the pilot had been into this field quite a few times.

There a pole there and a small area of the top is painted red if you freeze frame it.

Those lines look like an excellent candidate to be buried at the approach end. That's what they did decades ago at KEIK on the South end.

There's "goalpost" poles to fly through, but the lines themselves take a quick dive into terra-firma between those two poles.

Cheap, effective solution...

Cheap is a relative term. The cost can be pretty expensive for a private person to get a through line buried. There is commonly more than one line and several types of lines. Power, phone, cable. None of which play nice with each other. Also Michigan has a warped sense of liability. I have several friends that have tried to pay to get the Orange balls put up and Consumers wont do it because they feel it gives their complicite approval of the airstrip and makes them liable in the event of an accident. :yikes: They are not concerned with actual safety just avoiding being linked to a situation. Does it make sense? I don't think so, but their risk management does.

Barb

Hard enough to see the poles and lines in the video, I'm guessing he never saw them.

It's very obvious in the video, and one can see it coming.

Never look for the lines. Look for the poles, and any approach low to the ground, regardless of whether it's for a runway or any other reason, should be a constant search for poles and other obstacles.

Just as one should always assume traffic is there and look for it as though one's life depends upon it, the same applies to power lines and obstacles when approaching to land, or any time one is flying close to the ground.

I've seen a lot of power lines cut by airplanes, but it doesn't take much line to pull an airplane out of the air, either.

Gives me the chills. I have some lines on the approach end of 35 at my field. I remember doing sim engine failures and those poles/lines getting awfully close at times.

There are lots and lots of airports and even more private strips out there with wires right along the end of the runway.

Photo: I'm coming in to #25, KIWI Wiscasset. Those lines used to be connected to the now-demolished Maine Yankee Nuclear Power Plant.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G Ra.jpg
    N7872G Ra.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 64
  • N7872G Rb.jpg
    N7872G Rb.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 66
  • N7872G Rc.jpg
    N7872G Rc.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 58
I remember doing sim engine failures and those poles/lines getting awfully close at times.

When flying around power lines, don't look for the wire. Look for the tops of the poles. Connect the tops of the poles, and don't go below that. If you are below that, you're looking for the lowest wire, and at that point, you'd better be SURE.

I did a stop-and-go at cushing 0c8 a year ago, if anyone has pictures from there... the power lines are similar (but red balls on them to help with awareness).

When you see those balls on the power lines, always assume that other lines are present, above and below. The identifiers are useful to let you know there's something suspended, but they can lull you into false security by thinking you know where the power lines are.

You know where *some* of them are. Always ask yourself where the others are.

Cheap is a relative term. The cost can be pretty expensive for a private person to get a through line buried.

Just one datapoint, I know a guy here in West Texas that recently had a standard 7200-volt 3-phase line buried between 2 poles for his dirt strip approach, power company charged him $24k. For what that buys you, in the grand scheme of things and when compared to some of the other costs of our hobby, maybe that's really not that bad but I still recoil from it. This guy really needed it, the strip was short and the lines were a problem.

Last edited:
Not an ideal place for a cable, but at least the pole is close to the centerline so you have some warning... :rolleyes2:
When I flew out of Marlboro, with the high-tension lines across the approach, they were a lot easier to see, but with the short runway, it was critical to get close to them; kinda challenging. Whatever one's choice, "dragging it in" was not an option there.

His approach doesn't really look too flat, even considering the cable, but he doesn't leave himself much margin, and I'm pretty sure I see the plane sink just a little at the worst possible time. That's the problem with not leaving any margin... better to be a bit high, and fix it after you get over the threshold.

Glad they are OK- damn, were they lucky!:eek:

Just one datapoint, I know a guy here in West Texas that recently had a standard 7200-volt 3-phase line buried between 2 poles for his dirt strip approach, power company charged him $24k. For what that buys you, in the grand scheme of things and when compared to some of the other costs of our hobby, maybe that's really not that bad but I still recoil from it. This guy really needed it, the strip was short and the lines were a problem.

Obviously not an Ag pilot, wires at the edge of the field are not a problem, just go under like we do on every pass a couple hundred times a day sometimes. As soon as you see horizon below, you know you're good and never look at it again.

Obviously not an Ag pilot, wires at the edge of the field are not a problem, just go under like we do on every pass a couple hundred times a day sometimes. As soon as you see horizon below, you know you're good and never look at it again.

Don't know what your'e flying when you do ag, but I've been doing it since I was a teenager, and while I have gone under power lines and do occasionally do so, I'm very cautious about that.

Especially in larger ag airplanes (Dromader, AT602, AT802, etc), the vertical stab sticks up quite a bit, and I've seen the blades and cables on the airplane fail to cut power lines more than a few times. I saw one pull the rudder off an ag truck, once.

The caution involved is to not look at the wire again once you see the gap. At that point you have room and you concentrate on your ground clearance. There's even a half chapter dedicated to it in the Australian spray plane manual. They even advise not to climb for wires but to go under. As for what, I've only worked the Husky, Cat, 401, 502 and a Bull Thrush. Worked a Dromader down in Aus as well but that was on fires.

That said, a glance at the horizon tells one that the line isn't on the same level, but the tail sticks up quite a bit. The general rule of thumb is that so long as the power line keeps climbing in the windscreen, it's good, but how far it climbs is also important; it can still catch the tail.

It's usually better to go over lines than under. Going under is generally only advisable when it's impractical or dangerous to pull up, or when one has known adequate clearance below. Unless it's excess clearance that's patently obvious, I usually only go under power lines that I've walked and already determined from the ground.

If it's known power lines, that's one thing, but clearance under power lines can disappear very quickly, especially if obstacles materialize beneath them (fences, etc). Whereas power lines tend to dip between poles, especially over long runs (particularly so with illegal power taps that one sometimes finds in fields), clearance varies considerably from the anchor points on the poles to the low point where the wire sags the most, and it's not at all uncommon to find secondary wires, sometimes much harder to spot, strung below the primary wires.

Back