Places to Fish in Colorado

gbortt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gbortt
Hey all,

My friends and I are looking to do a little fishing in Colorado this summer. We have a PA-28 and want to try to find a good place to fly into. Ideally, we would camp near the fishing location. We will be flying into denver/colorado springs then going from there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you’re going into COS, you’ll be going west past Woodland Park up to near Deckers for good streams. Most of that is BLM or USFS land, plenty of places to camp.

Going into Denver, it’s a but of a longer drive west, even from APA or Boulder, but again USFS all over the place.

We flew into Loveland with a RV-10 a few years ago and tried to fish around Poudre River area. Unfortunately, they had a fluke late season (end of June) high elevation snow storm the week before and it all melted as we got there and blew all the rivers out. The Red Feather Lakes are north of that area a bit as well.

Loveland had rental cars available on-prem.

I'll be following this thread for sure. ;)

It looked fishy, but no bites:

1711643358382.png

Stream or lake fishing?
just off the top of my head near the Front Range...
Boyd Lake just outside Front Range FNL
Grand Lake, Shadow Mountain, Lake Granby and streams north of GNB Granby/Grand County airport, Colorado River to the west
Lake Wolford north of 20V McElroy Field, Colorado River (Gold Medal Waters) East, also Williams Fork Reservoir and river
Stagecoach Reservoir and streams south of Steamboat/Bob Adams KSBS
Horsetooth Reservoir west of Fort Collins ... oops, old brain cells ... was going to type Fort Collins downtown ... no longer there
Red Feather Lakes, Poudre River also west of Fort Collins.... uh, Front Range FNL
Turquoise Lake and rivers east of Leadville/Lake County KLXV, Arkansas River to the south (Gold Medal Waters), as well as Twin Lakes

Colorado fish are extremely wily! I gave up and just hike now. Have a wonderful visit and enjoy yourselves!

I live within 10 minutes of two excellent asian fish markets. What would you like?

Back