Placards

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
Have been working on the interior of my 172N (180 Conversion) the last month or so. One of the items I want to ensure is that I properly placard everything accordingly.

I'm following the POH to make sure I have the bare requirements taken care of. It has listed that “Forward of Fuel Selector Valve” there needs to be a label saying
'BOTH TANKS ON FOR
TAKEOFF & LANDING'

This is in addition to the label on the actual fuel selector. Are they considering 'Forward of Fuel Selector' on the pedestal below the fuel selector? Or 'Forward' being more towards the front of the plane and above the selector but below the throttle and mix?

Also is the requirements for “Near fuel tank filler cap (standard tanks)” labeled
'FUEL
100/130 MIN. GRADE AVIATION GASOLINE
CAP 21.5 U.S. GAL.'

Now originally this was an 0-320 but has an 0-360 now.. not that it matters really but is there an issue with me updating it a bit to say "100LL/100 Min" since I'm not sure 100/130 is used anymore.

Lastly anyone had any experience with getting custom labels made and recommend a place?

Does the label on the selector say 'BOTH TANKS ON FOR TAKEOFF & LANDING'? In that case, I'd say you're covered.

The tank placard is another story, and should be addressed by the flight manual supplement that came with the STC. Unless that supplement authorizes the lower 91 octane fuel on which that O-360-A can run, I think you're stuck with the original requirement. But since 100LL is a legal substitute for 100/130, I don't think that part matters.

Last edited:
Does the label on the selector say 'BOTH TANKS ON FOR TAKEOFF & LANDING'? In that case, I'd say you're covered.

Yes it's there. Just thought since it was in the POH twice that it had to be placed somewhere else as well.

The 180 is a Penn Yan that was installed in 1984. The STC is SA703GL and the copy I have looks like it was washed in someone's jeans a few times. I could contact Penn Yan and ask about a supplement.

I am working on my IA now and from my readings and from years of dealing with the Feds...the Type Certificate Data Sheet has the list of required placards. You airplane placards are required to match those exactly. The fuel tank placard, unless superseded by the STC will need to say exactly what the TCDS and the POH list.

I may be wrong and I am sure someone will chime in that has more experience than I on this and I welcome that.

You can have a different Fed visit you on two different days and get two totally different responses. :mad2:

Think that's what Ron was saying. I'm basically going to get it to match the POH exactly so there's not any issues. I just hope anyone who flys the plane understands it needs 100LL

Try DECALibrations on facebook. They made my labels for my plane and they are easy to apply.

Have been working on the interior of my 172N (180 Conversion) the last month or so. One of the items I want to ensure is that I properly placard everything accordingly.

I'm following the POH to make sure I have the bare requirements taken care of. It has listed that “Forward of Fuel Selector Valve” there needs to be a label saying
'BOTH TANKS ON FOR
TAKEOFF & LANDING'

This is in addition to the label on the actual fuel selector. Are they considering 'Forward of Fuel Selector' on the pedestal below the fuel selector? Or 'Forward' being more towards the front of the plane and above the selector but below the throttle and mix?

Also is the requirements for “Near fuel tank filler cap (standard tanks)” labeled
'FUEL
100/130 MIN. GRADE AVIATION GASOLINE
CAP 21.5 U.S. GAL.'

Now originally this was an 0-320 but has an 0-360 now.. not that it matters really but is there an issue with me updating it a bit to say "100LL/100 Min" since I'm not sure 100/130 is used anymore.

Lastly anyone had any experience with getting custom labels made and recommend a place?

Look in another 172 and see where that placard is located. As for the fuel filler one, no, you are not allowed to change it unless of course you have a MoGas or other STC, then you do what the STC directs. Otherwise you keep the 100/130 label regardless the availability of either.

100LL **IS** 100/130. Why the obsolete method of labeling both the lean and the rich octane rating was ever used is beyond me. We had 80/87, 115/145 and a few other variants over the years.

If you want to be absolutely logically inconsistent, you could label it 100LL/130LL to be absolutely correct.

Jim

Try DECALibrations on facebook. They made my labels for my plane and they are easy to apply.

Thanks I'll shoot them an email once I lay out exactly which ones I'm going to need.

The solution I settled with was to purchase a few of the premade ones that look like this;
09-42813.jpg

To be compliant I need to add a label "CAP 21.5 U.S. GAL." below this. Whats the best method of doing this? I've seen where people literally us a label maker and put it on the plane, assuming they have to redo it every year. What are some suggestions? Make a template and spray paint it? Get a clear backed vinyl sticker of some-type?

The solution I settled with was to purchase a few of the premade ones that look like this;
09-42813.jpg

To be compliant I need to add a label "CAP 21.5 U.S. GAL." below this. Whats the best method of doing this? I've seen where people literally us a label maker and put it on the plane, assuming they have to redo it every year. What are some suggestions? Make a template and spray paint it? Get a clear backed vinyl sticker of some-type?

Sharpie

To close the loop I found what I feel is the best solution to this. After some internet searching found a place called Higher Graphics. They will customize the wording to fit your plane. So for $12 each I'm purchasing two of these with the correct wording on it. They're also recreating my baggage placard for under $8.50.

So if you need this type of thing, reach out to them. I had contacted two other places, one only did die cast lettering and the other said the project would be about $100.

Back