Pittsburgh restos near Magee Women's Hospital

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
my brother and I are driving to Pittsburgh Saturday morning, visiting Mom after her surgery, then driving back home that evening.

does anyone know the area well enough to recommend a local place to eat (Mom and Pop versus big chain).

fingers crossed this is successful - her test results were conflicting, a few docs said "maybe ovarian cancer" and the others said "likely not, but let's yank it all to be sure". She's 65, has already had a bought with cancer 12 years ago so we hope the results turn up negative.

Beth,

I hope everything goes well for your mom.

What part of town is the hospital in? A friend's son is a student at Duqe, and I've spend some time in Pit (albeit a few years ago).

I'm flying up to AGC tomorrow on an Angel Flight, if you give me an idea of what PART of the Pittsburgh area you'll be in, I can ask around.

Or.... Stop at Latrobe Airport on the way home and eat at the airport restaurant!

dont have any suggestions for pittsburgh area of course, but good luck to your mom. lost my mom to ovarian cancer in 92. back then it was much less treatable. from what i hear now days if they catch it early it is very survivable. wish her well from me!

thanks everyone. Tony, I'm sorry. :(

They sure have come very far on a number of different kinds of cancer - a friend of mine is going through this now with his Mom (lung cancer in her case) and they have prescribed PILLS and they appear to be working...

Latrobe, there is a thought!

I don't know where it is yet... guess that is a good thing to find out. :)

woodstock said:
thanks everyone. Tony, I'm sorry. :(

no worries, like forest gump says, **** happens. my life would definitely be different now if it hadn't. i probably wouldnt know all you fine folks or the wonder of flying. it sure puts all the little decisions you make in perspective though.
They sure have come very far on a number of different kinds of cancer - a friend of mine is going through this now with his Mom (lung cancer in her case) and they have prescribed PILLS and they appear to be working...

that IS amazing!

tonycondon said:
no worries, like forest gump says, **** happens. my life would definitely be different now if it hadn't. i probably wouldnt know all you fine folks or the wonder of flying. it sure puts all the little decisions you make in perspective though.

troo dat.

It's still a sad thing to even contemplate, I can't (yet) imagine living through it.

I hear ya on the life decision/perspective thing, too. I was overseas on vacation on 911 and when we found out (late that day) it was too late to even find an internet cafe.. the next day I saw all the papers and read everything online and decided life was too short and could end too suddenly - so when I got home I took a severance package at work and ended up back in Europe looking for a job (which I never found, and here I am back home again).

woodstock said:
troo dat.

It's still a sad thing to even contemplate, I can't (yet) imagine living through it.

I hear ya on the life decision/perspective thing, too. I was overseas on vacation on 911 and when we found out (late that day) it was too late to even find an internet cafe.. the next day I saw all the papers and read everything online and decided life was too short and could end too suddenly - so when I got home I took a severance package at work and ended up back in Europe looking for a job (which I never found, and here I am back home again).

Hey, I'm about to be in that situation it seems. Time to look for something new, I'm not going to sit around for the next year with my head up my posterior trying to "look busy".

Who knows what lies ahead!

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Hey, I'm about to be in that situation it seems. Time to look for something new, I'm not going to sit around for the next year with my head up my posterior trying to "look busy".

Who knows what lies ahead!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Welcome to the club.

(Still looking for an opportunity...). Let me know what you'd be looking for (in a PM) and I'll keep my eyes open as I look.

BTW, now is the time to be building a network of people to call on...

wsuffa said:
Welcome to the club.

(Still looking for an opportunity...). Let me know what you'd be looking for (in a PM) and I'll keep my eyes open as I look.

BTW, now is the time to be building a network of people to call on...

Will do. It is dishearting to see so many of the people I have shared "the front line" with over the past two years, out on the edge of our company fighting to grow and enhance our business, quickly retreat to high ground to wait until the storm subsides.

--

Elizabeth,

Before I forget, I have done Lidia's (downtown, Strip District) a bunch of times with clients. It's not really that great a place, in fact, the osso bucco was like an orange zest bomb with no real rich marrow flavor I enjoy. The wine list was OK but a bit overpriced, the 1996 Cinghale I had was also way too warm (indicating the "cellar" they had by the door isn't really a cellar).

There is always Primanti Brothers, which, if you are looking for a good old heart attack, is about as good as it gets!

Cheers,

-Andrew

I hope it all goes well for your mom, Elizabeth, and they get everything out of her once and for all.

Tony...My mom also died of ovarian cancer (in 93), by the time it was diagnosed it was too late to do anything.

I'm glad there is much more awareness now as well as treatments.

Elizabeth, thinking good thoughts for you and you mom Saturday.

astanley said:
There is always Primanti Brothers, which, if you are looking for a good old heart attack, is about as good as it gets!

Ah, yes, Primanti. World famous.

In addition to Lidias, there are (or were, havent' been there in a while) a couple of nicer restaurants in the old train station on the south side of downtown (Station Square, I think?).

Anyway, I had a couple of good meals there, but I can't recall the names of the restaurants.

wsuffa said:
Ah, yes, Primanti. World famous.

In addition to Lidias, there are (or were, havent' been there in a while) a couple of nicer restaurants in the old train station on the south side of downtown (Station Square, I think?).

Anyway, I had a couple of good meals there, but I can't recall the names of the restaurants.

The Carelton is pretty nice, but a bit spendy. There is a pub in the basement of the William Penn Omni, which is downtown, near Mellon, that I can't remember the name of but they had some good grub.

A very close friend of mine comes from "old" Pittsburgh money. When I called him for a reccomendation, he said "the restaurants suck - get a private club membership"... not exactly the most glowing endorsement of the Pittsbugh dining scene.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Want dining with a fab view of dahntahn, Christophers on Mt Washington.

Christopher's (1411 Grandview Avenue, Mt. Washington, 381-4500)

I am with you and your mother in prayer, Elizabeth.

thanks everyone. sigh. they should be done by 230 I think...

Tony, the drug for lung cancer is Tarceva (SP?)

my friend's Mom is almost 100% in remission now. bone - gone. lymph node - gone... and lungs - greatly reduced. she's almost out of the woods.

FROM A PILL - CANCER TREATMENT IN A PILL.

Sending out good thoughts for you mom and her medical team, and hugs for you.

Our prayers for successful surgery, wisdom and guidance to the surgeons, peace and comfort for your mom, you and your family.

woodstock said:
thanks everyone. sigh. they should be done by 230 I think...

Tony, the drug for lung cancer is Tarceva (SP?)

my friend's Mom is almost 100% in remission now. bone - gone. lymph node - gone... and lungs - greatly reduced. she's almost out of the woods.

FROM A PILL - CANCER TREATMENT IN A PILL.

amazing,

wishing the best for you and mom.

She is out - it's DONE! they did the biopsy and there is no cancer.

WHEW! that is a huge relief. when Dad called just now, I said "hello" and there was dead silence for 3 seconds. that wasn't good. but then he said "all ok, she's out and fine".

thanks for all the good thoughts everyone...

Great to hear, Beth. Now maybe you can relax a bit. It's Miller time!

Back