Pitts Snaps

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
Shot some tail views of some snaps in the Pitts. Inside snaps (first 3 here) work fine for me, but my outside snap entries and stops kinda suck at the moment. Was hoping to pick up on some things I was doing wrong with elevator and rudder timing. All snaps were done from 110 mph indicated. Yes, the 1-1/4 was intentional. :D

Anyway, these single-hole Pitts' rotate pretty good - well over twice the roll rate you'd get from the ailerons alone at this airspeed. You can see the timing and movements of the tail surfaces...FWIW for anyone maybe learning snaps. I see lots of folks apply way too much elevator ("bury" it) and fail to unload it, or wait too long to unload. This makes for a very slow or inconsistent rotation, and kills lots of energy.

And no, they ain't earrings. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqu5XeTBDX4

Last edited:
From what I understand, the landing is the most impressive thing about being able to fly a Pitts :)

Looks fun. Is that a trick to point your head in the direction you want to go? Like Skiing? or is it Gs or just something you do?

They still look like earrings but ill take your word for it...

I have not had the pleasure of an outside roll but im told they are "unusual"... :D

From what I understand, the landing is the most impressive thing about being able to fly a Pitts :)

That's BS...it's the most FUN thing about flying a Pitts. :D

Is that a trick to point your head in the direction you want to go? Like Skiing? or is it Gs or just something you do?

You mean during the snaps? I never even noticed this was happening until the first video I shot from this angle. I think it's the G's combined with the simultaneous quick movement of the stick diagonally left. It's not intentional, and I'm looking over the nose the whole time.

I have not had the pleasure of an outside roll but im told they are "unusual"... :D

Nah...If you don't like negative G, you'd dislike an outside loop even more. :) Folks new to acro always think rolling turns feel the "weirdest"...or at least the most puke inducing. :)

Last edited:
Damnit! Stop posting these videos!!! Before long I'm gonna go blow all my money on acro lessons and a plane!

I'll just be sure to send the creditors out your way if this madness continues.

Nah...If you don't like negative G, you'd dislike an outside loop even more. :) Folks new to acro always think rolling turns feel the "weirdest"...or at least the most puke inducing. :)

I dont mind negative G's I actually think they are really fun. :yes:

Damnit! Stop posting these videos!!! Before long I'm gonna go blow all my money on acro lessons and a plane!

My work here is done.

I dont mind negative G's I actually think they are really fun. :yes:

The more the better right? :) You're the first person I've heard say they are "fun". Rob Holland says negative G will always suck, but you just get used to it sucking. Some of these guys are pushing up to around -8G in their monoplanes. My Pitts would break if I did that. I'll push up to around -4.5G to get round outside looping segments. That doesn't bother me, but I do sometimes have a slight headache for a few hours after, when doing several pushes in a flight. At least you'll never greyout/blackout doing negative G. Redout maybe...you'll look a little scary to everyone for a couple days. :) But it's still not my idea of "fun".

Last edited:
I've only ridden thru a few snaps in a sukhoi and don't like them but when I told another acro friend they said "go fly with *^+%#" he's smoother at snaps .. Haven't had that chance. Seems to me a snap is a snap but I don't know.

Haven't snapped the decathlon and never will so, unless I have a chance to fly in someone else's Pitts, Giles, or whatever I'll never know.

Looked like good practice Eric. I need to fly rosy, haven't in too long, been too busy with students.

I can't think of much that is as addictive as aerobatics. It is a slippery slope, too. I started out with the intent of just getting a tailwheel endorsement in the Super D. Then I took a few acro lessons. Then I decided to try flying Primary in a contest. Couldn't stop there--had to work up to competing in the Sportsman category. Now I am counting the days until the first contest of the season in May at W03 :)

I simply can't justify renting a 172 to go boring holes in the sky anymore--the money is far better spent practicing acro.

Paul

:rofl: I'm beating the crap out of my -10! Stop posting these! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice work! Keepem comin!

Thanks for posting. It nice to be able to see the control surfaces. Any chance of seeing some half snaps?

Back