Piston engine reliability (questions for high time pilots and mechanics)

Come to think of it, I have met and spoken with Sparky Imeson too, when he flew a Cheyenne based in the same large hangar bays as we were. Also come to think of it, just like Wayne, I guess I've known three people killed in separate accidents from those bays. The other two were experienced guys in warbirds. One was flying in loose formation with Sparky when it happened. That was many years ago.

Sometimes I think experience, and excellent skills sometimes puts you in statistically more dangerous situations, and then it just becomes a numbers game. Still sad though.

Sometimes I think experience, and excellent skills sometimes puts you in statistically more dangerous situations, and then it just becomes a numbers game. Still sad though.

For professionals, there's a curve that peaks in the low/mid-time freight dog stage and then decreases, in my opinion. I've heard of more than one who can't wait to get out of the "paying their dues" stage to move into flying something that's not a death trap and not being expected to fly with expired duty time and no sleep in terrible weather. You can say no, of course, but then ramen will become thing you can only afford to eat on special occasions after you've save up enough money to pay off the cardboard box you're living in.

For non-pros, I think you're probably right, but that is hopefully tempered some by scaring yourself and learning from it.

While I do have my suspicions regarding certain forum members, none of them are the experienced folks.

One experienced pilot I know not on the forum, though, I fully expect to be an NTSB report. Many will say "He was so experienced!" I will say "I saw that one coming..."

What will you feel when it happens? Should you have said something to them, even if just once, in case they might just have one brain cell operative that illuminates their personal "danger, will robinson" light and gets them to change their ways?

(Just asking what you think. Tough question. Are we our brother's keepers or not?)

What will you feel when it happens? Should you have said something to them, even if just once, in case they might just have one brain cell operative that illuminates their personal "danger, will robinson" light and gets them to change their ways?

(Just asking what you think. Tough question. Are we our brother's keepers or not?)

It's an excellent question, and one worth asking. I've given the idea much thought.

More than one person on here has received unsolicited advice that I think they're trying to kill themselves with stupid ideas. I explain why it's a bad idea, and why he/she shouldnt do it. Same goes for people outside of here.

This person falls into the "I've been flying forever and know everything there is to know" category. With 5x the number of hours as me, I am not credible to him, nor is anyone else. I've told him of stupid antics, outright yelled at him for it in some cases. He knows where I stand. I can choose to fight a fight I will lose, and lose a friend, or I can wait for him to do himself in, potentially luck out and not, and keep the friend for that time period. I am comfortable with option 2, knowing my words will fall on deaf ears.

So, I've given more thought to his eulogy.

Some people... They just don't want to listen, and won't.

Back