PIREPS on X09, Covey Trails Airport, West of Houston

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Anyone have information to share about X09, Covey Trails Airport? Located southwest of Katy on the border of the Cinco Ranch development?

My brother and family will be moving into that area and I'm looking for more info on the local places come into when I visit.

It's primarily a residential air park. No Fbo. No public hangars. There might be a tie down. I know there is fuel there but it's likely owners/coop.

If you are looking at transient stuff I'd consider the new Houston Exec between Katy and Brookshire. Or Westheimer air park a few miles east of Covey.

And (as others have said) absolutely nothing wrong with West Houston either.. just put up the two closest alternatives to Covey.

Last edited:
Saw Houston Exec on the sectional first. but it wasn't until this weekend as we were driving around with him showing us potential homesites that I spotted Covey's windsock and took an increased interest in what was there.

A little further away and on the north side of I-10 is West Houston (KIWS) airport. I fly in there quite a bit and really like it for the convenience and service. The staff there is great and they offer good fuel prices on the weekends.

Rental cars, taxi's, etc. are available there and the line folks are great. Nice FBO and terminal building there. Outlaw Avionics is on the field and pretty good folks too.

No control tower. Just talk to Houston Approach and they will clear you in and have you switch to Unicom when you report the airport in sight.

I was driving around there recently, as well and found Houston Exec. It appears to be a nice airport out in the rural area west of Katy. I haven't been to Westheimer but plan on putting that one on my list to fly in and check out along with X09.

+1 for West Houston - always a great reception there.

Assume Houston Exec is great, since it's the same bunch as opened Austin Executive (KEDC), which is Plain Freakin' Awesome.

Back