Pireps going to west coast.

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
Looking to do a trip up the west coast ,coming from Florida. Could use pireps on a route ,want to stay under 10 k ft. ,hope to fly up to Oregon,then start back east. Could use info on on airport diners . Thanks Ron

When I bought my plane in Temple, TX we flew more or less direct KTPL to KROW then NW to the Corona VOR, then more or less direct to KPRC. That was easy at 10,500 although we did hit some big up/down drafts near the NM/AZ border.

That would be a good, low altitude route. I don't think it would work under 10K though.

For the lowest-altitude route, look generally at I-10 from El Paso to near Palm Springs. Then go around the north side of the San Bernardino and San Gabriel mountains via KWJF (good diner) to avoid the L.A. traffic and canyon winds. Then pick up I-5 near Bakersfield and that will take you all the way to Portland. Great eats at Harris Ranch (3O8), right on I-5 about 75 nm northwest of Bakersfield.

Last edited:
I-40 also works. Winslow AZ had a nice Mex restaurant on the airport. The self service pumps are around back behind the airport terminal.

Flagstaff is another good stop.
There was camping available at Payson AZ.
Sedona AZ is a must stop.

Food on the airport at Lake Havasue AZ is on or off check ahead of time.
The runway at Santa Rosa NM is the old Rte 66.

I-40 also works. Winslow AZ had a nice Mex restaurant on the airport. The self service pumps are around back behind the airport terminal.

Yup, the I-40 route also works in the middle of winter...but from Florida, maybe try the southern route through Merida?

Llano TX for Coopers BBQ. Golf cart as courtesy car at field or call and they'll pick you up. Cheap fuel here ...

For fuel 5T6 self serve is cheaper than most of the other areas in our region for self serve. Also, the pump is right in front of the War Eagle museum which is a nice visit if you have time. Penny's Diner is near the field, but at least a mile walk.

Marana AZ has a nice on-field diner (not real fancy).

Go where the best weather is.
This. You need to have at least two routes planned and pick the best the day before/day of the trip.

As I've said a few times in these threads, every time I've flown coast to coast, I've planned a route in advance and ended up modifying it the night before/day of due to weather.

If you want to stay below 10k, you are pretty much limited to the El Paso route. I would at least be willing to go at least 10.5 if you go via ABQ.

Back