PIREP on the Lightspeed wireless Tango headset

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I thought I would provide a PIREP on Lightspeed’s new Tango wireless headset.

First some background…I have been utilizing Lightspeed headsets since I purchased my airplane in June 2002. I have owned almost every high-end pair they designed from 2002 until present. I have never been disappointed in their quality, comfort or customer service. I also own 2 pairs of Bose A20’s.

From the day I first heard the word “Bluetooth”, I couldn't understand why it took so long for one of the popular aviation headset companies to design a pair of wireless aviation, noise canceling, headsets. It seemed so easy to contemplate as I sat in my airplane in a spider's web of wires from headsets, portable GPS units, and charging cables. I could just envision the NTSB report if I ever crashed, “Man survives plane crash…strangles himself in sea of avionics wires as he attempted to exit the aircraft.”

When I saw the first report of Lightspeed’s press release of the Tango wireless headset, you know I stood up and took notice. I connected Sporty’s immediately and placed my pre-order as fast as possible. 800 dollars though!?! Why so cheap?! I became scared, but waited anxiously for its arrival.

They arrived on December 2 and I first flew with them on December 3. I was flying with a student in his Cherokee 6. This aircraft was well-equipped with a first-rate modern audio panel and intercom. I plugged the LS Tango in and turned the base unit and headset on.

My first reaction was that the headset felt comfortable, but noticeably heavier than my Lightspeed Zulu.2’s, PFX’s and my Bose A20’s. My second thought was that the anti-noise reduction was fair to ok; I felt my other headsets were a bit better, but not too noticeable. I had no complaints there.

Then my student said something over the intercom. I literally sat straight up in my seat and opened my eyes wider by 30%. His voice was so sharp and cutting that it took me by surprise. The first thing I did was check the volume controls on the intercom and then I adjusted the volume on my headset. When he spoke next there was no change other than volume. His voice was still sharp and uncomfortable to my ears. I quickly looked at his headset. I was convinced that he was wearing a very cheap and old set. To my surprise he was wearing Bose A20’s. I then gave a quick, “Check, 1, 2, 3”, and my own voice hurt my ears just as bad as his.

I immediately disconnected the Tango's and switched back to my Bose A20’s. On checking his voice and my voice, they were back to normal with nice, rich, deep comfortable tones.

I had 2 more lessons that day and all the airplanes had different audio panels and intercoms. My other students had differing headsets, and each time I experienced intercom sound quality which was unacceptably poor and uncomfortable.

The result was clear: The Lightspeed Tango headset had abrasive, sharp, cutting voice quality and I would call it…for lack of a better word, “tinny.”

Now the radio reception voice clarity seems reasonable and I had no complaints there. I don't know what the difference was, but there was a difference in quality between the radio voice tone and the intercom voice tone.

I did side-by-side comparisons to the Bose A20s and the Lightspeed Zulu.2’s music quality and found the Tango’s had comparable quality, but I preferred the Zulu’s by a small margin.

The Bluetooth capability and ease of use of the Tango headset worked fine and was simple to set up.

The provided case is well made and would protect the headset and panel unit easily and it is very attractive.

The panel unit is enclosed in a canvas material and a metal clip is provided to attach to the rear of the canvas so you can clip the panel unit to a seat pocket or other such device. But whoever thought up this design needed to seriously have their head slapped for providing absolutely no mental energy into designing this simple, but needed addition. This clip and its attachment scheme could not have had any design foresight at all; it is completely useless for what it was provided for, and does not, and cannot stay attached to the device if you ever unclip it from whatever you clipped it to.

There are also some plastic parts in the Tango that are metal in the higher end Lightspeed products. Some parts had a flimsy feel, such as, the battery doors and the Stereo/Mono switch. I could tell these would break or fail completely in very short order.

Don't get me wrong; as I said in the beginning, I love Lightspeed products, I have been impressed with their designs, quality, and their customer support. I have never been disappointed before.

In conclusion, it is my opinion that this Tango headset is Lightspeed’s Ford Edsel. It is not that attractive, it is heavy, some parts have a cheap feel, and it has a tinny sound quality when providing intercom communications.

I reluctantly sent it back today, sad that it could not reach my reasonable expectations of comparable sound quality and comfort to their Zulu line.

Gene Wentzel

Wow, great write up Thank You!! Looks like I will stick with my A20's

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Did you happen to review it on Sporty's too? Might help a broader spectrum of shoppers.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Did you happen to review it on Sporty's too? Might help a broader spectrum of shoppers.

No, but I will. Also, I will send a letter to LS to see if they have any comments. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gene

"Tinny" was how I described it as well but not unacceptably poor or uncomfortable.

Interesting. I'd like to try one - it'd be very nice for my wife (who tends to have to move about the cabin).

From talking to a friend in the headset business I understand that there is a huge demand out there for wireless GA headsets.

Maybe due to a genetic defect, I cannot understand this. I plug in my headset at the beginning of a flight and unplug it at the end. Between plug and unplug I don't leave my seat. The cord doesn't interfere with anything and the headset still works even if the ANR batteries are dead, or more usually it doesn't have any batteries at all.

Is it just a love of gadgets? Do wireless headsets solve some problem that others have but I do not? Or ???

Is there not a volume adjustment on the Tango headset or panel unit?

Great PIREP. Thanks for posting. I had a thread up about the Tangos a couple weeks ago so this is interesting.

I guess I do see some use case for wireless. I travel with my kids and having their headsets be wireless would be great. After one of our first few trips, my son ripped a rear headset jack right out of the back side panel because he pulled in the wrong direction on the wires. They watch their iPads in the back seat during trips and sit in all kinds of goofy positions. Having wires connected to the side panel runs the risk of having them yanked and broken. Still... this use case weakens for me as my kids get older and somewhat less clumsy... and also I now have aluminum headset jacks in the rear thanks to the above incident :D

For the grown-ups, cords are not a big deal in an environment where there is nearly zero room for movement.

From talking to a friend in the headset business I understand that there is a huge demand out there for wireless GA headsets.

Maybe due to a genetic defect, I cannot understand this. I plug in my headset at the beginning of a flight and unplug it at the end. Between plug and unplug I don't leave my seat. The cord doesn't interfere with anything and the headset still works even if the ANR batteries are dead, or more usually it doesn't have any batteries at all.

Is it just a love of gadgets? Do wireless headsets solve some problem that others have but I do not? Or ???

In tight aircraft and especially in the winter with coats I have had the wire get caught on what I am wearing and when I rotated my head it pulled the headset almost off. Even if the wire moves the headset a little, the air gap causes the ANR to screw up for a second or two causing some extraneous noise and mild irritation. The feeling of freedom of movement without that concern or distraction was indeed nice.

Moreover, for backseat passengers, in my airplane the rear jacks are between the frontseats. That leaves the cords in a place such that when they exit, it is easy for them to catch a foot on the cable and completely rip the jack and wire a part. This has happened 2 times to me. Now I go through a paranoid passenger briefing for 3 minutes on how not to do that.:nono:

Gene

I just don't understand the demand either. Maybe in a more spacious cabin where you can move about more, the wires might be an issue. When I'm strapped into my airplane, the wires are plenty long enough and they really don't get in the way of anything.

Now Bluetooth wireless I can understand. I was always running a 3.5mm aux jack from my ipod into the AUX port on my Bose unit before they started offering Bluetooth connectivity for music, and that scrawny little cable seemed to get hung up on EVERYHTING.

In smaller aircraft, where you can't really get up and move around, it's not too big of a deal. However, when I was flying the CASA, the idea of a wireless headset really appealed to me. I would be able to get out of my seat to take care of business (talking with pax, paper work, etc.) and still maintain comms with my FO. (The CASA is a LOUD plane!) Having a PTT on the wireless headset would have been a plus so I could talk respond to ATC if a call came in.

Last edited:
I love my Tango and while I agree the sound is a bit "tinny", it's otherwise a solid buy. I bought direct from LS the moment I saw the ad spammed around.

Wired headsets bother me big time. They really are always in the way. It's mostly the ANR box itself, which is cumbersome.

I strap on the Tango, note the slightly tinny sound for the first 10 seconds of use, then promptly forget about it. The sound is perfectly clear and understandable. That's all I need. I'm not up there to listen to music. I'm up there there to...honestly be comfortable and forget about life for a while. The wireless aspect of the headsets only help that.

I tried a Tango and agree with the first post here. It is junk and I sent it back. I have Zulu 1 and Zulu 2 and those are basically the same. The PFX was a disaster as well. Big ass controller. I use my Bose A20's now and keep the Zulus for my passengers.

Back