PIREP on iPro Aviator/M

John221us

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
John
Hi,
So I took the iPro Aviator/M iPad Mini Kneeboard out a couple of times this weekend and here is my PIREP.

Link: http://www.forpilotsonly.com/iPad-mini-kneeboard.htm

6yquju9u.jpg

vy3y7equ.jpg

Background: I use ForeFlight on an iPad Mini, which is working great. I have a 496 on the yoke with XM weather, but I really want to get a Stratus and get rid of the XM, but I didn't really want to get rid of the 496, so I wanted a good solution for my iPad. Also, I like to print out an AOPA airport page for any airports I will be visiting and then I use that page to write notes on while flying (weather, ATC and tower instructions, etc.)

THe iPro Aviator/M fits the iPad Mini snuggly and there is a cover that flips over with a clipboard to hold any pages and notes you might have. I added a pen loop (Office Depot).

It is very well built (my friend even accidentally stepped on it and no damage). The iPad fits in perfectly and doesn't move at all. It is only portrait mode, but that is how I usually position it anyway, so not a problem for me. My old kneeboard had side pockets and this just has a strap. I usually stick a chart in one side and my phone in the other. I clipped a phone holster to the strap for my iPhone and put the paper chart in the side pocket of the plane (I can't remember the last time I needed it, anyway).

Overall, this solves my problem of where to put the iPad Mini. My next step is to buy a Stratus. :)

Last edited:
I prototyped a similar kneepad (but before iPad minis were around) and I would put sectionals, etc. in the compartment. Unfortunately, the yoke would hit it because it was too thick.

Do you have enough clearance for the yoke?

I prototyped a similar kneepad (but before iPad minis were around) and I would put sectionals, etc. in the compartment. Unfortunately, the yoke would hit it because it was too thick.

In the entire line of iPro kneeboards, the clipboard is shorter than the iPad. This does allow adequate clearance - it can be easily opened and closed in flight without bumping the yoke.

Check out images on this page:
http://www.forpilotsonly.com/iPad-mini-kneeboard-gallery.htm

No problem in my Cherokee or an Arrow I flew, but I took a ride in my friends Seneca and it bumped the yoke there, but anything would in the Seneca. The mini is smaller and therefore narrower than the standard iPad. It needs about 5" of clearance, I would estimate and the cover does not come all the way to the top of the kneeboard.

Last edited:
Does it interfere with GPS signal at all? Did ForeFlight keep locked onto your location while the cover is closed.. or did it take some time to re-establish your location?

I'm also curious if they've added magnets to the cover so that the ipad mini would know to turn off the screen when the cover is closed ala the smart cover..

About to take the plunge on an iPad Mini - the gen 2 ipad I've been using is just too cumbersome in the cockpit.

Back