PIREP: NYC Airspace

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Frederick, MD to Republic on LI on Saturday, and back yesterday.

Both times got some nice shortcuts, and I love NY ATC.

Coming in to FRG at about 9:15, I had trouble spotting the airport from about 8 miles, so the controller said, "I'll set you up for the ILS 14." Had the plate ready, and with the Perspective, the approach was loaded and activated in a few seconds. Was vectored beautifully onto the approach, and handed off on time to the tower.

Trip home got to see sunset over Manhattan and fly over a few 747s at 6,000 over JFK.

Both flights were smooth as glass.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N874T

If it was VMC, why did you need the plate? Dial in the frequency and call it good.

Wife always loved flying ove JFK and having the big iron under us . . . probably something 'psychological' about that - but hey - it is cool.

NY guys are good. If you are paying attention and doing what they expect it is the easiest big airspace to transition cause they know you have no real choice - 100 miles west is silly and out over the water is dangerous several months of the year -

Wife always loved flying ove JFK and having the big iron under us . . . probably something 'psychological' about that - but hey - it is cool.

NY guys are good. If you are paying attention and doing what they expect it is the easiest big airspace to transition cause they know you have no real choice - 100 miles west is silly and out over the water is dangerous several months of the year -

If only Chicago could figure that out.

If it was VMC, why did you need the plate? Dial in the frequency and call it good.

I did better than that--I hit PROC and ACTIVATE and called it good. No need to dial anything.

I've done it several times now, and it has been a good experience every time.

I did better than that--I hit PROC and ACTIVATE and called it good. No need to dial anything.

Odd that it knew exactly which approach you wanted. Usually that needs to be programmed in ahead of time. ;)

Odd that it knew exactly which approach you wanted. Usually that needs to be programmed in ahead of time. ;)

Not on the Perspective, believe it or not. You hit PROC and it brings up procedures for the destination airport. The ILS was at the top of the list. You hit enter, enter, activate. Takes about 3-4 seconds.

Not on the Perspective, believe it or not. You hit PROC and it brings up procedures for the destination airport. The ILS was at the top of the list. You hit enter, enter, activate. Takes about 3-4 seconds.

The 430 does it similar to that, as well. I thought you just hit PROC and boom ILS 14 was loaded. It also autoloads the frequencies if a LOC/ILS. On the info page it also lists all the frequencies, and with a click of the knob a twist to the appropriate frequency, and the enter button has that on standby for ya. It makes me quite lazy. :D

The 430 does it similar to that, as well. I thought you just hit PROC and boom ILS 14 was loaded. It also autoloads the frequencies if a LOC/ILS. On the info page it also lists all the frequencies, and with a click of the knob a twist to the appropriate frequency, and the enter button has that on standby for ya. It makes me quite lazy. :D

Great stuff, isn't it? :)

Activate what? VTF? Which transition? What you said is not what happens .. . plus with an ILS you get the warning too -

You could not see the huge black space in the middle of Long Island? I can snark with the best of them but really curious? Why didn't you just put yourself on the approach or simply continue the approach until you saw some runway lights or the beacon?

Activate what? VTF? Which transition? What you said is not what happens .. . plus with an ILS you get the warning too -

You could not see the huge black space in the middle of Long Island? I can snark with the best of them but really curious? Why didn't you just put yourself on the approach or simply continue the approach until you saw some runway lights or the beacon?

I did activate VTF, actually--you're right. Still didn't take more than 3 seconds total.

Remember, this is at night, and I'm 8 miles out on an IFR flight plan, doing what the good folks at NY Approach are telling me to do.

I thought I had a visual when ATC asked if I had, but I just wasn't 100% sure with the lights, and this being only the second time to FRG. [I've been up through the airspace many times--only twice to FRG.]

Additionally, I was nowhere near the approach, coming from the west. Finally, I was asked only once whether I had the airport in sight--when I replied "not yet," the controller immediately responded with "I'm going to set you up for the ILS."

I was perfectly fine with that, and had fun doing it too!

Last edited:
....Finally, I was asked only once whether I had the airport in sight--when I replied "not yet," the controller immediately responded with "I'm going to set you up for the ILS."

I was perfectly fine with that, and had fun doing it too!

That is how ATC is supposed to operate..... Three cheers for the controller..

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

NYC controllers are the best, listen, do. No problems. If you have a request they will do thier best to assist. You don't listen to them, they will get nasty.

NYC controllers are the best, listen, do. No problems. If you have a request they will do thier best to assist. You don't listen to them, they will get nasty.

Or if you're from the south, it's listen, attempt to understand, then do!;)

Or if you're from the south, it's listen, attempt to understand, then do!;)

I think that's when flying IN the south. Not when you are FROM the south. :D

Hahaha, I was born in Boston and lived most of my young years there, but I lived in Texas for seven years during some of that time. I guess I can switch back and forth. . . .

Back